Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Manufactured Housing > Manufactured Housing FAQs
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 10:14 AM

State: New Mexico
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

Agreed Jo Ann. I was confused because I remember the part, even though I don't do FHA appraisals yet, that you just notified the lender and completed. But apparently now it's an auto reject by the appraiser as we were told yesterday. That lower section of that scanned sheet that is highlighted in green is what seems to be the new "RULES of the day". There's a few other things that have changed and some apparent duplication of terms & definitions, as is typical, by FHA to what's already on the form.
Sponsored Links

Old 01-28-2006, 01:59 PM

State: Arizona

I have re-read and re-read Section 5 - HUD Data Plate pages D-51 to D-53 in Mortgagee Letter 2005-48 and I don't see the word "reject" by the appraiser any where. The closest reference to that is the sentence I quoted above about notifying the lender. Then it becomes the underwriter's problem. When the underwriter has solved the problem then the underwriter gets back to the appraiser so that the appraiser knows what actions to take next. But with HUD's system of having the HUD building code verified, a missing HUD label does not necessarily mean the property is a "reject". Many, many, many things are no longer the appraiser's call--all the responsibility rests on the shoulders of the underwriter. That was a theme the Santa Ana HOC kept stressing--of the 196 attendees at our seminar, approximately 75 were underwriters so a lot of the information presented was for both underwriters and appraiser.

So I am still being stubborn and hard headed, I don't reject anything--I just notify the client and then the underwriter has to worry about it!
Old 01-28-2006, 02:28 PM

Jo Ann, I'm not in disagreement with you. In fact, I think, I stated that I haven't done FHA appraisals, except with a few other appraisers to see if it was worth the effort, and that I was told that yesterday by an SRA who is also a USPAP instructor that was teaching the AI. Somewhere in my stack of business cards I've got the email address to a man at the HOC in Denver who is quick to respond to emails.

Many appraisers at that seminar that have been performing FHA appraisals were shocked when he said and he reaffirmed it. However, to all reading this, I'd suggest that you follow Jo Ann's method until we get a definitive answer from HUD.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:37 AM

Missing HUD tags are a chronic problem for me. If they are removed or stuccoed over, or covered-up by an addition, then the only alternative is to low crawl under the structure and get the serial number off the frame. I am way too old and too fat to even consider this manuver. If someone wants the loan badly enough they will go find it. Even if the numbers are on the data plate, it does not mean that they are correct or even go with that home. Cabinet doors can get moved from one home to the next.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:10 PM

I had two instances of missing HUD tag numbers. I contacted the manufacturer directly to obtain those. It took them a matter of minutes for my 1996 home however I had a 1976 and most companies only go back to 1986. Just another resourse!
Old 10-26-2006, 03:00 PM

If this is an FHA loan they can contact IBTS, as long as they have the HUD TAG # from the outside of the house. If not an FHA loan IBTS will charge $50. http://www.ibts.org/label_verification/fha_reg.htm

I used this info last week using this website and had the info in about 4 business days by email.

I only had the serial number for the manufactured home and they were able to provide the HUD TAG #

good luck

Last edited by martihagan : 10-26-2006 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Additional information
Old 01-04-2007, 02:04 PM

Smile Hud Tag Numbers And Serial(vin) Numbers

Can You Tell Me What Website In Washington I Can Go To To Get The Serial Numbers On A Man Home?

Please Help Thanks Christi
Old 01-04-2007, 02:14 PM

I Cant Seem To Get To The Right Place.. Help...
Old 01-20-2007, 07:42 AM

State: Arizona

http://www.ibts.org/label_req.htm

http://www.hud.gov/offices/hsg/sfh/mhs/mhslabels.cfm

See posting titled Modular Housing Labels
Old 01-20-2007, 10:13 AM

I just did an FHA purchase where the data plate was located but the HUD tags were covered over by stucco. It sat with the bank for a month and they came back and said it couldn't close until the HUD tags were uncovered. It seems they wanted me to do it, and I politely refused. I told them where they are usually located and to call me when they were discovered and legible. No news yet.
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread