Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > General Appraisal Discussion
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 10:29 AM

State: Indiana
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

I was inspecting a property the other day; purchase, HO was in the process of moving out and was about 1/2 there. I wasn't paying attention and knocked over a potted plant, there was black potting soil all over the light gray carpet. No big deal right, just find the vacuum and clean it up. Well apparently the vacuum was at the new house because I couldn't find it, and believe me I looked. Boy did I feel like an a$$ when I had to call the realtor and explain that one.
Sponsored Links

Old 11-24-2003, 11:17 AM

State: Florida
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

I knocked over a plant, too, but fortunately it was on a hard floor and not carpeting. Also, the owners were deceased and the heirs could have cared less.
Old 11-24-2003, 11:31 AM

State: Oregon
Professional Status: General Public

Appraised the wrong home!

As a young appraiserette, I was given an assignment - The order was for a home on S. Wambat Way or some such but the requester left the "S" off. I went to the correct address, but on "N" (yes, they did have the same #). The owner was home, seemed pleased that I was there and invited me in for the inspection. I completed the appraisal and handed it in.

The lender called about two days later. Since then, I have learned to verify the address, legal and the location via the plat map before I go.

Oregon Doug
Old 11-24-2003, 12:20 PM

Doug-loved your story!
Here is my embarassing list:

On an inspection a few years ago, I backed up my car into the mailbox of a comparable. It fell over. I drove away. I hope they are not reading this.

The year before that, had a stick shift car. Left the motor running when I got out to take a pciture. Did not use emergency brake. The car started rolling down the road. At least it was going slowly and I was able to jump into the seat before it got away. I now drive an automatic.

Recently got the key stuck in the door of two vacant homes. Had to call realtor to get the keys out.

A few years ago I inspected the wrong house too. An apartment.

Realtor said he'd leave the door open. When I got to building, two similar doors next to each other were unlocked. I went in the one I thought was the subject, measured it, etc. Nobody there. Fully furnished. Had a funny feeling after, as description of what I saw did not match MLS. Realtor confirmed I was in wrong place Went backand did right the apartmnet. Lucky for me the owners of the "wrong" place did not walk in while I was strolling around their house.
Old 11-24-2003, 12:31 PM

State: Florida
Professional Status: Retired Appraiser

Started doing the wrong new construction house once and that was the time I stepped into fresh tar with my new while tennis shoes.

Did one a few years ago for a LO. Stepped in a pile of dog doo and didn't find out until I'd left my mark all through his house! I offered to go to the store, get some carpet spot cleaner and clean it, but he insisted he would take care of it.

I check my shoes before I go inside EVERY time now!
Old 11-24-2003, 12:40 PM

Pam you made me laugh. Any chance it was due to the fact that owner was a loan officer?
Old 11-24-2003, 12:44 PM

I had a home that was supposed to be empty. I got a key from the realtor, and was assured that the homeowner was at work. I get to the subject, measure, and walk in. What do I find? The homeowner's startled daughter, wondering what in the H_ll I'm doing.
Old 11-24-2003, 01:07 PM

State: California

Having appraised for over 20 years, i've

1. locked myself in the garage of a new construction home for over an hour until a construction guy heard me yelling to get out. doors were locked from outside.

2. forgotten to put keys back into lock boxes and had to drive all the way back.

3. once lost homeowners only key day b4 he was getting married. had to wait for and pay for locksmith to come out.

4. worse one was when appraising an approx. 85 year old gentlemans home. don't like to walk in on anyone unnanounced, so asked him if anyone sleeping in the back. he said no. was going through master bedroom and into the master bath when his approx. 85 year old wife NAKED wife walked slowly around the corner from the master bathroom. not a pretty sight.

learned to ask that day if anyone else was in the house, rather than to just ask if anyone was asleep.
Old 11-24-2003, 01:26 PM

State: Ohio

I think I've got everyone beat! I actually hit a house with my truck!

I pulled into the driveway of a purchase. It was below freezing and I left the engine running. Normally that would not have been a big deal, but I forgot to put my truck in park! I did not realize it until the grandfather of the seller and I walked out of the house after the inspection was completed. My truck had rammed the garage door and trim on the house.

I was mortified Fortunately, the grandfather was a super guy. I think he was more worried about me than the house. He knew they had leftover paint because they had just finished painting the trim the week before. I called my brother (who is a general contractor and would do just about anything for me) he came out, replaced the trim, fixed the garage door and repainted everything before the seller got home from work. The quality of the work was every bit as good, if not better, than the original.

Sometimes I wonder if the grandfather was enjoying putting something over on his son He was a wonderful co-conspiritor!

No matter how cold it is now, I turn off the engine and remove the key!!!

Mary
Old 11-24-2003, 02:16 PM

State: Wisconsin
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

Gee these bring back memories.

I too appraised the wrong house....one was N one was S, same street, both same addresses, both empty and for sale by the same real estate agent.

Another time I backed out of an icy driveway and slid back into the owner's car that was parked across the street.

Then there was the time that I didn't realize I had a pencil, lead end up, sticking out until I had left "my mark" on the newly painted walls.
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread