Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > General Appraisal Discussion
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2003, 10:21 AM

State: Alabama
Professional Status: Appraiser Trainee

I just wanted to post my take on the current state of appraising.

It's me against the world. The realtor, the loan processor, everyone involved in the transaction wants it to go through no matter what. It's my job to be objective and do my job honestly and to the best of my ability. I am the only one in this case that is being held to those standards, yet I am the bad guy when it doesn't work.
That's the problem when dealing with people that are working on commission.
Sponsored Links

Old 11-25-2003, 10:39 AM

State: Georgia
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Paul, tis ain't just the commission folks.
All too often, the HO's jump into the ring too. One would think they would not want to over pay. But all too often, that is not so. Me thinks it's going to take a whole change of altitude from con-sumerizm.
Old 11-25-2003, 10:41 AM

Take heart- just finished an FHA with sales price $92,900-- my value $90,000-- turns out to be no problem since the seller is willing to reduce price to $90,000. I was getting ready to field the calls from the realtors, broker seller and everyone else. Just goes to show ya that its not all crazy out there!!! Ha Ha I think in ten+ years this might be the first time this has happened.
Old 11-25-2003, 11:22 AM

State: California
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

I don't think most fans hold a grudge with refs after the games over. There's always a new game next week.
Old 11-25-2003, 12:56 PM

State: Illinois
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

Quote:
Originally posted by M Leggett@Nov 25 2003, 09:39 AM
All too often, the HO's jump into the ring too.
I once had the buyer of a 1br condo call and curse at me because I came in below the contract price. First time home buyer on a significantly overpriced unit. 15% above the next highest 1br in the building with many recently closed with similar views etc. She got out of the deal, put a contract on a new place and requested that I not be the appraiser for the new property. <_<
Of course my client had me appraise it and this one worked out. I bet if I hit the requested value on the 1st place and she ran into problems, she'd be first in line to sue my a#@!
Old 11-25-2003, 01:11 PM

Dear Paul,

As you are very well aware of..... appraisal is 'objective'. yeahhh, i know you know.

and i know that it's difficult to pick up that phone and hear someone goin off on ya cuz you didn't get 'their number'.

but, you Did do your job. and, you did it well. and, you Know that. So does this board, and hopefully your co-workers are available for a lil venting.

not only do appraisers watch and recognize the trends ... we also give reality checks.

yeah, there're a buncha dinks out there, but there are also a lotta mighty fine folks who appreciate knowing a prop they're interested in is overpriced.

truth exists whether they like it, or not. and, That is what you are doing, and doing well.

kate
Old 11-25-2003, 01:25 PM

State: Alabama
Professional Status: Appraiser Trainee

Well thank you Kate. Brightened my day
Old 11-25-2003, 02:54 PM

State: Florida
Professional Status: Retired Appraiser

Kate, you are a real gem and I do hope your mentor is aware and treats you as such!

You have my official permission (as if that's needed!) to boost my attitude from pessimism any time to see that I could use a good nudge (or boot).
Old 11-25-2003, 04:10 PM

awww wadda sweet thing to say.......but...

shhhhh.......

i don't think he's caught on to this side of me yet.....he's still seein the professional side of me.....

hmmmm, now that ya mention it, he could use a lil humor relief.
gets to be a tad stressful ya know?!

and, he's not a 'for-real' mentor at this time....may not become one either....

but, he has talked to the certified appraisers in his office and they've been taking me around on their assignments. talkin n me listenin. them fillin out the forms n me watchin and questioning as needed.

between them (150 miles away by golly) and this forum, that is what keeps me focused in the environment that i've choosen for the remainder of my workng life.

the rest of it is common sense. and the applicable very real similarity in my prior career life.

*puts away serious hat*

speaking of... just got a call from one of my certifieds....so tomorrow i'll be takin another wonderful road trip. (absolutely no sarcasm intended).

we'll be doing a rural residence & the pprwrk.... and the pprwrk for the vacant land.

this is gonna be fun!

excited kate
Old 11-25-2003, 04:41 PM

Paul,

If I was a home buyer I would want to know if the property I was buying was overpriced, since buying a home is a large exspense and is a life altering event. And I know the ethical appraisers get heat for not hitting the "right number", but think how grateful others are and appreciate your honesty and integrity. If it were me buying a home, I have a young family and if I ended up buying a property that was overpriced I would feel very cheated because I could have put that money else where other then into someones elses pocket where it didn't belong. You just keep up being the honest and objective person that you are. God himself said for us not to give false testimony (and lying is giving false testimony) so you just stand strong in your morals and ethics. And if the shoe was on the other foot I don't think the LO or MB or anybody else for that matter would want to buy overpriced property.
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread