Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > General Appraisal Discussion
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2003, 01:57 PM

State: Missouri
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

NAR Cost vs Value

These lists are just tooooooo funny! All I know, is that the cost approach obviously has no relevance in Miami, Providence, San Francisco, and a few other choice places.

Y'all should check out the contributory value of these remodels/upgrades. I know I've been waaaaay off on deck adjustments in my area! Can't wait for the arguments: "...but, but, NAR and Remodeling Magazine say that the deck adjustment should be 15k, even though they only paid 6k to build it! You're INCOMPETENT!"
Sponsored Links

Old 11-25-2003, 02:03 PM

State: Alabama

From the web site:

Resale values are based on the professional judgment of NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS® members.

Need I say more?
Old 11-25-2003, 02:21 PM

State: Illinois

Not only are their "Value at Sale" numbers a complete joke, I could have any of those jobs done at a fraction of their stated cost. This article must be published for use as a marketing piece for home improvement salespeople.
Old 11-25-2003, 02:24 PM

State: Georgia
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Man, I'm using the wrong cost figures for estimating our jobs. I like this list :P , g'na think bigger next time. :mrgreen:
Old 11-25-2003, 02:59 PM

State: Florida
Professional Status: Retired Appraiser

That is absolutely disgusting!

And the Realtors are 'professionals' in what?????

Frank G, can't anyone get through to them?
Old 11-25-2003, 03:01 PM

State: Virginia

About a year ago I butted heads with a bank VP. It started over detached garage prices. There was a flurry of refinancing for detached garages typically average quality, slab floor, two bay, inside finished, and around 600 sf. M & S's top of the line adjusted for this area on your best day is less than $20 per sf or around $12,000 max. The builders were charging and getting $25,000 per pop. Then the VP got mad and said I was out of touch because when I appraised his house I was off on his screen porch by a mile. His porch was a 150 sf slab on grade, roof, and screened in. Nothing fancy at all. He paid the contractor $43 per square foot or around $6500. Around here a fair quality house cost around $43 per sf.
Old 11-25-2003, 04:44 PM

State: Arizona
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

Read the WHOLE Magazine & note the DISCLAIMER'S
Old 11-25-2003, 08:03 PM

Location: Lucy's New and Improved Trailor Park, first, second and last months rent please.
State: Colorado
Professional Status: General Public

what a joke..
but I will print it off and give it to a friend who sells and installs 'replacement' windows..
Old 11-25-2003, 08:51 PM

State: Oregon

Quick survey indicates,

Basement finish has a 80% return on cost....ummm...maybe 25%, or maybe its just a bad idea
unless you want a That 70's Show TV/Dope Smoking Room. B)

A new bath addition costs $15K...Wow, I only will give you $2K in the market approach.

Decks return 80%....but over 117% in Columbus OH, they must love decks in Columbus. I wonder why?

LA must love those new vinyl windows, but I thought they had really mild weather. Seems to me new
windows would be more popular in Oregon where it rains sideways or Minnesotta where its really cold.

I'll stick to those surveys done by appraisers.

elliott
Old 11-26-2003, 08:09 AM

State: Michigan
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

Amazing.

I'm a member of NAR, in the full time profession of estimating value and nobody from NAR has ever once asked me to come up with any estimates like these.

What we have here Ladies and Gentlemen are some SWAG's by a few of the big time shooters (from the hip-types) who are on a list and have an in with the NAR. They get referred to the people who did the study. Unfortunately, no appraisers are on that list with NAR.

Nuff said..............

Closed Thread