Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > General Appraisal Discussion
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2003, 05:31 AM

State: Connecticut
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Hi All;

The senerio;

1- appraised a house under major renovations, with value subject to completion, and the estimated cost to complete $25,000.
2- woman (owner) 3 adolescent kids and live in boy friend. Boy friend is doing 90% of the labor himself.
3 - His estimate to complete is $5000. (Yeah right) wants a small hold out.

Status of Job;
1 - Vinyl siding is incomplete
2 - no sheet rock in renovation area
3 - Heating unit in place but not connectied
4 - Electrical rough and plumbing rough in but awaiting inspection.
5 - Beds and other indications of habitation in the renovation area.

Underwriter wants me to go back and take pics of the now completed vinyl siding And dont say any thing about the interior condition. I says Abso***&*lutly NO. ( Mort broker agrees with me) Asks me to just take outside pics and make sure no ladders are leaning on house. Asked Wife, appraiser trainee, to call owner lady and find out if all vinyl is done and ladders gone. Snot kid answers phone and wife asks to speak to your mother. Kid says who is this? Wife identifies her self with her name. Snot says "Whats an Anne Pollock?, Anne says may I speak with your mother. Snot says "Whats an Anne Pollock? Anne says Why do you need to know that, the Snot swore at Anne and hung up phone.

How do you stay objective with people like this. I admit that when I am doing a job, my emotions and feelings do enter in to a slight degree. In this case I will do the final inspection and I will tell you...........there will be no punch list items overlooked. Every switch plate will be in place etx.

Thanks for listening and I am sure others have had similar experiences. Oh well helps to develope that thick skin.

Regards

Hal
Sponsored Links

Old 12-05-2003, 07:00 AM

State: New York
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

At least the kid hung up on your wife and there wasn't a chance to mix it up with the boyfriend I have had situations where my wife is trying to make appraisal appointments and the borrower's boyfriend is being a rude and obnoxious hard ass about dates and times just to frustrate her. Or, I'll call for an appointment and get a kid at home who hangs up or wont take a message. I had one the other day: "Repeat the number I just gave you, I believe your parents will regard this as important business" Kid: " Um, I forgot, let me get a pencil".

And as far as staying objective, it's very hard but you have to develop a thick skin. I have an assignment right now that I have already been stood up on 3 times! Each time the borrower gave me some cockamamie excuse. Man, I hope I can stay unbiased and objective on this one
Old 12-05-2003, 07:23 AM

State: Michigan
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

Who says you have to be objective? If it is outside of the Scope of the Appraisal, you can be anything you want to be.

As for kids, a great many of them are obnoxious and all are carriers of communicable diseases. My best advice: ignore the children at an assignment and don't touch anything they might have touched. Use waterless hand soap when you get back to the car. The less you have to do with children in performing your job, the happier and healthier you will be.

Puppies, on the other hand, are a different thing.
Old 12-05-2003, 07:25 AM

State: Georgia

Then call the mortgage broker and inform them of the problem. Inform them that you are having no luck getting an appointment scheduled. These are the type of people that think you just take the pics, and send in a report and say give them the money. Let them know that if they intend to close on time, it would benifit them to schedule the appointment ASAP so that you have proper time to complete the appraisal, otherwise it could delay their scheduled closing.
After all, they are the ones that want the money, not you. So the problem is really theirs, not yours.
Old 12-05-2003, 07:59 AM

Decline the assignment or double the fee.
Old 12-05-2003, 09:01 AM

State: Oregon

Double the charge for wasting your time and giving you grief.
Old 12-05-2003, 10:08 AM

State: Georgia
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

When they become arrogant or hard nosed, I gently remind them that THEY are the ones wanting the money...... and NOTHING is going to proceed until they work with me on MY time schedule. Waving the carrot in front of their face usually brings them back down to Earth really quick. If it doesn't, I call the LO, describe the problems, and leave the ball in their court..... then move on to the next file. Life is too short to worry about these type people, and I don't waste any time on them.

BTW, when they call back, make them say “Please” and “Thank You" before agreeing to an appointment. That usually really chaps the hide of those type people, and makes you feel a bit better that you did get SOME civility out of ‘em.
Old 12-05-2003, 10:08 AM

State: Arizona

Here's how it works with me.
U want the money NOT ME!

So the Appointment time IS either this or that. Try 3 times to make contact if nothing is made, IT IS the Mortgage Co's responsibility to have home owner CALL me to set a time & date. within my guidelines, which are between 8 AM & Noon. Monday thru friday . U want the money NOT ME! So the Appointment time IS either this or that.
Old 12-05-2003, 10:54 AM

State: Michigan

We do the same thing here -- they work appt. times on OUR schedule, not theirs. Some people are just into trying to have the upper hand all the time with no reasonable basis for why they want you to jump thru their hoop. We explain that we have to go to the court house, get comps photos, etc. AFTER we do their inspection, and late appointments don't work. They always find a way to accomodate us after explaining that they can't get their loan until the appraisal is completed. Funny how that works.
Old 12-05-2003, 02:34 PM

State: Colorado

Your wife probably should have identified herself as "Anne Pollock, the appraiser".

Kids, especially male teens, can get very protective of their parents. If mom has been getting calls from collectors, being harassed by dad's girlfriends or being bothered by telemarketers or any number of other things, the kids will screen the calls. In other words, if you aren't identifying yourself as a person that your mom would want to speak to, then it is assumed that you must be an enemy. Immature way of thinking, but that's why they're not considered adults. I'm not making excuses for the kid's behavior, but most won't act that way unless there are in defensive mode because of other problems.

Just have your wife call back and if the same kid answers she needs to re-introduce herself in a manner that identifies her purpose and intent. I think you'll see a big change, but if not then explain it to the lender and have them make the next contact. Good luck!

Closed Thread