Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > General Appraisal Discussion
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2003, 05:27 PM

State: California
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

2 assignments last month involving teachers......First one....

Me:
"When we made the appointment we requested that you have a check ready for the appraisal fee"

Teacher:
"Gee, I guess you guys make a LOT of money....I'm surviving on a teacher's salary"

Me:
Uh....Just make the check out to........

Second one......

Me:
(calling to set appt.) "We have an opening on the 12th at 11:00am."

Teacher:
Well....I'm a TEACHER....I just can't leave my classroom anytime I want."

Me:
"How about noon? Do you get a lunch break?"

Teacher:
"Well.....I guess so.....Can you come early and start so I can get back to school?"

Head's up to all you teachers......You have an important job.......We all recognize that. Please recognize that others have important jobs too....

Thanks....

Oh yeah.......If you need more dinero........Work that extra 3 months. We all work all year......24/7

Not irked......not at all........really.......honestly.......Rant over....
Sponsored Links

Old 12-05-2003, 05:41 PM

State: Texas

There is not enough money to pay me to be a teacher or policeman.
Old 12-05-2003, 05:54 PM

State: Michigan
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

Ah teachers. What a special class of people.

The problem most teachers have is that they are used to being the one in charge i.e. one adult and 30 mush heads in a classroom. They are used to having things done within their time frame and at their behest.. What are teachers always crying for? Planning time. You need to be inserted into their planned schedule.

The comment on how much money was in poor taste. Best let that one lie. This sounds like a disgruntled person who is not happy with his/her choice of profession in life but doesn't have the guts to do anything about it.

When I sold real estate in Kalamazoo, the three occupations that were the hardest to deal with as far as trust and cooperation were 1. law enforcement (trust) 2. teachers (they know everything and want to be in charge) and 3. Upjohn employees (biggest bunch of pampered workers who knew lots more than you because they talked about real estate at lunch and on breaks). I'm sure every market has it's own specific list.
Old 12-05-2003, 06:05 PM

State: Kansas

Here's my take on teachers (My wife is one):

Quote:
Teacher:
"Gee, I guess you guys make a LOT of money....I'm surviving on a teacher's salary"
New teachers start at $25,000/year and reach $30K at 5 years experience. This is if they have the minimal Bachelor degree. They do work 10 months a year but a good bit of them put in more than 10 hours a day (it's almost 6 PM and my teacher isn't home yet, it's end of class test prep time).

Yes they do have two months "off" but have to take college classes to maintain their license. Some have to do work for free in order to get ready for the next year.

HMMM, sounds like my job to me, salary and all.

Quote:
Teacher:
Well....I'm a TEACHER....I must can't leave my classroom anytime I want."
There are times when it is difficult for them to take time off. Most have to schedule a substitute several days in advance and they usually can't get one to cover just one class. It is also hard to find someone to cover one class because most people at school have their own class to teach unless they can find someone that has a planning period.

Mentioning planning periods. Most teachers do get a planning period and this may be the time they could let you in.

Lunch time for teachers involves other duties (i.e. baby sitting at the lunch room, court yard, meetings, etc...).

Not all teachers live near the school they work at.

Here are some things I suggest when working with teachers.

1) Might have to schedule a few days out so they can get someone to cover the class

2) Ask if they have a planning period they can meet you

3) Only appraiser teacher homes during the holidays, teacher annual leave days or during the two months they are not in class.

Remember, the students are in the classroom and there has to be someone there to baby sit them......

Just my .02

Dave in NC
Old 12-05-2003, 06:09 PM

State: Georgia

It's not all teachers. They're all different, just like appraisers.

My wife is a teacher, has 3 degrees, and makes 3 times as much money as me. Most teachers in Georgia with a bachelor degree start out making more money than I usually average per year after 14 years in this business.

Of course, I could do better if I made appointments based on my schedule instead of the homeowner's, and if I did a few other things that are just good business, but I'm pretty much trained by my Teacher wife to be docile. I don't argue with her because I won't win; she gets practice at it all day every day.
Old 12-05-2003, 06:33 PM

State: Georgia

deturner, you're right!

My wife works as many hours a I do. And does contract work for the State Dept. Of Education, edits textbooks, holds office in their professional organizations, etc.. We each have offices in the house, and sometimes we don't see each other except waking and bedtime. She is almost always working on another degree (Doctorate right now). And she has to plan a day off months in advance! Sometimes, she can leave school after 2:00 pm, but she may be working at home until 2:00 am. I have to handle all of the service calls and installations (you know, cable and telephone..."We'll be there between 12 and 6 sometime between Dec. 10 and Jan. 15").

First year teachers with a bacholor degree in Ga usually start at $32,000, with regular step raises, more money for advanced degrees, and a 10% increase of state supplement for National Teacher Certification. But I think it would take a lot more than that to make me teach. The things that my wife tells me about make the Jerry Springer show seem tame! And it's not just the kids, it the administration, the school board, the Governor, the other teachers... all way too political. Somebody has got to teach, but it makes me feel better about my job.

Jamie :eyecrazy:
Old 12-05-2003, 06:43 PM

State: Wisconsin

I taught for over 20 years. I've been an appraiser for a few years now. Let me tell you from someone who has done both things.......teaching is a heck of a lot harder and heartbreaking.
Old 12-05-2003, 06:52 PM

State: California

O.K.......Equal time here.......

3 months ago........assignment.....Appraiser's house.

Appointment.....No problem
My fee..............Cashier's check (obviously no problem)

Here's the problem.....

Got there and was given an 'appraisal' of his home that he himself did.....he said that the lender would not accept it because it was his own home (DUH!!!)

He said that his home was worth more than every other (exactly the same) home in his neighborhood because he built a deck (4' x4') off the 2nd story master bedroom that gave him a view of some hills.

On yeah.......he also said "If you can't get that value.......call me."

The report did not meet his "expectations" (No, I didn't call him) and he left a message that he was "really disappointed" and that he could FAX me some "better comparables".....

Come to think of it................I'd rather appraise a teacher's home.
Old 12-05-2003, 08:18 PM

State: Nebraska

I have gotten more repeat business from Teachers than any other known group: I suspect because teachers are organized enough to remember who came out the time before.

I have had teachers be the most interested in the process, and be the least intrusive in the inspection.

I have about two drive me nutz afterwards, but agains compared toteh egeneral population that is a smaller percentage of jerks than other professions.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The worst and I mean by severral odors {smirk} of magnatude are the Fibbers. FBI, State BI and higher ranking judicial folk. Man forget the regular beat cops and detectives: the higher ups just figure they are at least 20X smarter about what I do than I am .

The absolute worst and most time consuming of all was a FBI or State BI (can't recall) married to a pregnant recently appointed judge. They bought the house just a few months prior to 9/11. She had just had white carpets put down pending the appearance of child number 1. And they KNEW their house had appriciated over what they paid (too much by far BTW) in excess of 10% cause they needed the money <_<

You tell ME which was my first clue they didn't really have everything about real estate figured out.
Old 12-05-2003, 08:39 PM

State: New Hampshire

Good Bad and Ugly in all fields.

I have been my little sister's legal gaurdian for seven years so I have some experience with teachers.

Last year I was horified when her history teacher was arrested for have sex and giving pot to the eighth graders. He was loved by all kids and teachers alike. Turns out he had had a girl from each year for five years. He accidently had the last girl fall in love with him.

Fast forward to the graduation night. The girl who fell in love with the history teacher (she was 14) was labled a slut for forcing their beloved history teacher into the jail cell he deserved. When it was her turn it receive her diploma no one clapped. Not one teacher or student clapped of her. Many teachers looked at each other rolling thier eyes with their arms folded.

Maybe spending that much time with hundreds of early teens is harmful to their brains.
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread