Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Marketing
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2004, 06:50 AM

State: New Jersey
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

I solicit your thinking on this idea. Suppose we formed a group of 10 appraisers from different areas of the country and held a very lightly moderated chat once a week or as long as it is productive. Each member is encouraged to share marketing tips/ideas, clients, new approaches, addresses or contact people with the group. The key here has to be "you have to give in order to receive" or it wont
work. If this works it can be used for other topics. Please share your thoughts!
Moe
Sponsored Links

Old 05-17-2004, 07:04 PM

State: North Carolina
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

I have corresponded with a number of appraisers from this forum privately, and there has been some sharing of useful marketing (good clients, bad clients, etc.) info. I will admit, I have acquired several new clients in the past 6 months as a result of networking with appraisers out of my area. The key is building some trust with whoever you are sharing info with. Also, as you mentioned, you have to be willing to give as well as to take.

This networking idea is an awesome business-building tool. Appraisers just need to be willing to let down their guard a little. What better way is there for an appraiser to find out which clients are good ones to work for than other appraisers (in other areas of your state or the country) who are already working for good clients? With 10 people in such a group, each submitting information on only one new client each month, is potentially 120 targeted leads for everyone in the group. Any business should be able to create some extra income with that kind of quality marketing information. Only one new quality client easily has the potential to add $15,000 to yearly business volume. (I would recommend disqualifying AMCs as qualifying clients though - too many past experiences with them have been negative and non-profitable)
Old 05-17-2004, 07:14 PM

State: New Jersey

Cool Doug, does that mean we should put you on the list?
Anybody else?

Moe
Old 05-21-2004, 10:24 AM

State: Colorado

I would be up for that.
I spent 20 years in sales, then got tired of it and changed careers to become an appraiser. After 2 years, I am on my own. I keep asking myself what I really need (new hardware, software etc). The answer is; I need new customers.
I've tried to break into the local market but have not had much luck. Most of my orders come from large national companies. I need some ideas on how to get started with the local market.
I'd be glad to share ideas, companies etc.

Bruce
Old 05-21-2004, 06:45 PM

State: Louisiana
Professional Status: Retired Appraiser

Sounds like a good idea. I would be interested and would be glad to offer whatever I can.
Old 05-24-2004, 04:24 PM

I'm interested in participating.

Although I'm new to the industry, I have experience in marketing outside of RE appraisal. I'm currently spending a significant amount of time in marketing our biz's services so I can foresee reaping benefits from this type of chat.

Allison
Old 05-24-2004, 04:58 PM

State: Mississippi

Ummmm, maybe. I'm not going to reveal who my good clients are to "Goober#9" in a public chat room. I want to have some idea of who I'm 'talking' to.
Old 05-24-2004, 07:23 PM

State: Louisiana
Professional Status: Retired Appraiser

I think the minimum requirement to participate is every participant must give:

First & last name
Appraisal License Number (non appraisers should should not participate)
City & State.

I agree with Dan's comments, I do not want to give my hard earned contacts and ideas to my main competitor or the skippy across the street.
Old 05-25-2004, 02:10 AM

Allison Lucas
The Bay Area (aka The Grey Area), CA
AT032168 (happy to say I even know that by heart!)

I can only speak for myself in that I have no interest in extracting solid client contacts from those that contribute. (I'm hard-pressed to see how such information would even be pertinent and constructive to this type of discussion...may be I'm just naive?)

My interests lie in honing the content and verbiage of my ads, letters, brochures, etc; thoughts on expediting the process of obtaining and systemizing potential solicitee information would also benefit me; and absorbing successful methods of marketing that other appraisers have found to be fruitful would fall high on my list of marketing wonders.

And because of my background specifically in graphic design, it's my thinking that I might be able to add some words relating particularly to the visual aspects of communication into the mix (amongst hopefully a myriad of other useful interjections

If this sounds like the give/take you're looking for, show me where to sign.

Tootles! Allison
Old 05-25-2004, 02:05 PM

State: North Carolina

Count me in. Nearly every one of my lender clients has abandoned me (either they can't afford me or they don't really want an honest appraisal). I feel like I am back to starting a new business again, just won't be talking to lender/mortgage clients this time around.

I am now pursuing REO, relocation, and review work. I have succeeded in replacing my old lender client business in the past 6-8 months, but now I would like to exceed past performance.

If this is going to work, there will have to be a disclosure by all participants of your complete contact info. The last thing we want to do is share sensitive info with competitors. Might be a good idea to limit participants to one per state.
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread