Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Marketing
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 10:11 AM

State: North Carolina
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

I have gotten some great input from this forum recently so I'd like to give it another try. Since I just recently ventured out on my own, I am wondering what advertising (if any) would be most effective?? For example, do you feel a website presence would actually bring business I would otherwise not get<

How about cold calling (I've had limited success there).

What about some of the Appraiser lists (eg Mercury)??

Are there other/better suggestions.

Any input will be appreciated.

Old 06-02-2004, 10:20 AM

State: North Carolina
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

Dave,

One thing that really works well for me on repeat business is giving people a MAGNETIC business card. They dont lose them, because there on top of pictures or homework or a first crayon drawing on the refrigerator.

I dont give everyone a card for obvious reasons. BIG houses get a car because I can underbid anyone later for a re-do.

Cost=1.00 per card or less if you print them yourself and buy the magnetic stick on's from a office supply.
Old 06-02-2004, 10:27 AM

State: Washington
Professional Status: Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.

AppraisersUSA has been good for me as far as return on investment. I have gotten one steady client from them that sends 5-8 a month. And usually get 1-2 from people I don't know. Website well I have one that actually has gotten 1-2 orders since it was put up. So it has paid for itself. But don't listen to me since I really suck at marketing. That is one of my worst traits in this business and I do suffer for it some months.
Old 06-02-2004, 11:03 AM

State: Georgia
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Appraiser USA, active member in the Board of Realtors, Business Member in the Chamber of Commerce, and personal referals is where most of my business comes from.
Old 06-02-2004, 12:11 PM

I will usally call a mortgage company and find out when there next meeting is and bring some doughnuts etc... If they are in a meeting you get to talk to all the loan officers at once even the ones that work from home and sometimes they think the boss is backing you up! Most of the time they will call me on the difficult appraisals that there regular appraiser wouldn't do to see if you are a better mr. value guy etc., but i have caught companies when times are busy and pick up a lot of good business by offering better turn around times, but may fall off again when skippy is less busy.

*I don't get too much business from a website, but it add professionalisim.

*The yellow pages will get me mabey 10 a year.

*posting business cards on business bulitin boards is cost effective, because other realitors and mortgage people are posting theirs on the same board.

*when getting a new client, try to stop by the office alot to make your presence knowen to other people in the office. They will feel like they know you better, and give you business.

Old 06-25-2004, 07:41 PM

State: Michigan

Gonna give out one of my my bestest marketing secrets. Doesn't really get new clients...but cements relations with existing ones (good ones, at least) and generates some new work.

We meet alot of RE Agents during normal course of business. I always tell them that I invest in rehab/distressed properties and know many others who do the same. Your LO's know who their investor clients are. I pass on any referals (as a courtesy...no fee) to them and sometimes they strike a deal. That appraisal usually comes back to me! Not a ton of volume this way but it does change the relationship dymanic a little in that I am no longer a fee sink in the process but a potential source of work for both parties.

There are no conflicts with USPAP that I am aware of as I am only putting people in contact with each other and have no further interest in the results (I hope it works, obviously).

I'd be curious if anyone does see a USPAP issue.

:dance:
Hey...this dancing guy is cool!
Old 07-30-2004, 08:41 PM

A website can be very effective for any business if you pay attention to it. Most businesses treat it like a phone book listing...once you have it, you're done. Here are a few suggestions to increase your traffic:

1. Exchange reciprocal links with appraisers outside your area and other real estate pros. There's an excellent website that is devoted to building link partnerships: realestatelinkexchange.com. Also, consider exchanging links with other businesses in your metro area. Reciprocal links are thought to be only for search engines, but you'd be amazed at the traffic from just plain surfers.

2. Offer short essays containing market analysis, position articles, and advice from your website. It will build your credibility with potential customers/clients who visit. Search engines love new content. Go a step further and syndicate your content so it appears on other websites.

3. Utilize Google AdWords, but don't choose a phrase that is already crowded. Test certain phrases and look for those that only return 2-3 paid ads in the margin. For example, I use the phrase "housing bubble" because it's in the news so often and compete with only two other advertisers.
Old 07-31-2004, 05:26 PM

State: Alabama

I will add some general information to consider. Target your marketing to the people that will send you work. If the majority of work is for mortgage lending thats who you need to target. If you want to deal with lawyers then you need to target them.

Some people have glowing sucess with web sites. I have not but I think you should have one. I think it depends on your location. Matter of fact I just spend a couple of weeks redoing mine. In my semi-rural area I don't get much off the web site but I do get some. If you live in a major city or where people are more techincal savy then you probably will see better results. Thats my thinking anyway.

Best thing is tract you results. See what works and keep doing it. As someone once said. I know half my advertising is useless. Now if I knew which half I would drop it. So keep tract of it see what works.
Old 01-28-2005, 06:41 PM

Find a niche and service that niche. Ease the clients pain and find a way to stand out from the competition.

Put a marketing plan together that includes direct mail, followed up by phone calls. You must have a campaign together say 3 postcards with headlines that answer the "Whats In It For Me" question that your prospects and future clients all have.

The trick is to enter the conversation in their mind. If their thinking I'm tired of having to review poor quality work. Tell them why you're different and make their job easier so they can make money doing what they do best.

It is well worth a part of a weekend to formulate a plan. Get a list and start mailing.

Best of Luck

Sponsored Links

Closed Thread