Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Marketing
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2004, 10:12 PM

State: North Carolina
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

Hello Forumites,

I have worked alone since 1988. I live in eastern NC, so there are not really any "thriving metropolises" east of Raleigh besides Wilmington, NC to the south and Fayetteville to the west / southwest. It seems that most residential appraisers in eastern NC work alone, or maybe partner with one or two others.

Given this, I have wondered if any of you folks have ever formed some sort of local or regional (such as 1-2 appraisers per county) alliance or referral network where you get to know each other with regard to ethics, honesty, integrity, quality of work? It would seem to me that it would be helpful to those working together with regard to comparable sales data, market / sub-market data, referrals, etc. One example I can think of on a national level is Elliott Appraisers which are based in North Carolina (www.appraisalsanywhere.com). Do any of you participate in such an alliance? If so, would you care to comment? It seems that most of us keep to ourselves (including me), but I would think that working / cooperating with other appraisers would be mutually beneficial. I guess the key is finding the right folks that feel the same way. Just a thought... I've gotten tired of keeping it to myself without at least asking for the opinions of others!

Take care,

Hank O.
:dance:
Sponsored Links

Old 07-12-2004, 07:22 AM

Hank,

I think appraisers fear losing clients as a result of an appraiser alliance. Good clients are very hard to find. I agree that forming a referral group could be very beneficial to group participants, but there is also some potential that business could be harmed if shared information gets in the wrong hands.

Doug
Old 07-12-2004, 11:21 AM

Professional Status: Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.

Hank, Darrel Hignite tried to start something like that it was called Appraisers helping Appraisers I think. I don't know if it worked or not.

I made it a point to visit at least one appraiser in all of my surrounding counties and work out a verbal agreement to swap comps or any other informaiton we may come up with.

You might want to make that suggestion at the annual meeting during a break, in Fayetteville if you are going to go to that one.
Old 07-12-2004, 04:52 PM

State: New Mexico

Hank - We pushed our board of realtors enough to get an appraisers council where the board lets up meet for free and provides the coffee. I'm president of that group for now but getting burned out - we meet once a month with the exceptions of it's close to a holiday. We've gotten some education out of it for free or near free, that was approved by the state. We exchange information about market factors in various areas, drug houses, changes in rules and/or UW guidelines, dead beats, etc. You might see about doing something like that. Two other appraisers and I gave a 2 hours free seminar for agents that was intended to inform them what we as appraisers are looking for on the MLS information sheet. It's a loose fit setting, but I got 2 referrals from one person in that group today. Good luck.
Old 07-13-2004, 10:59 AM

That's the business model of my group. Typically, when you refer business to another appraiser though, they take it and run and you never hear from them again, nor the client you referred them to.
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread