Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Marketing
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 06:42 PM

State: North Carolina
Professional Status: Appraiser Trainee

I am a trainee with some residential appraisal experience. I have done 50 appraisals. I need a good resume to help interest additional appraisal companies to let me do some work for them. If anyone out there would send me a sample resume that would be a great help. Thanks Ron
Sponsored Links

Old 06-14-2004, 07:05 PM

State: Louisiana
Professional Status: Retired Appraiser

Ron,

I don't mean to sound harsh, but if you can not do research & write your own resume, how can you write an extensive addendum and do all of the research for the appraisal.

Go to the local book store...they probably have several good books on various resume styles/designs/formats.

Write down everything you have accomplished in your work and education life. Initially no details are too small. Categorize all of these facts into a half dozen categories. Begin to write your resume. After you have a draft, ask 6-7 people to read it and make constructive criticisms. Rewrite the resume. Have several people look at it again. Rewrite it again.

Remember to use ACTIVE verbs throughout the resume. (RECEIVED three letters of thanks from clients while working for the Jones Company. COMPLETED three drawings in one hour, instead of the required two drawings.) Forget about listing various job titles, talk about what you actually accomplished.

Allow a maximum of 1 typewritten page per 10 years of experience. Never have a resume longer than two pages (unless you are Einstein or somebody really special).

The only address and phone number on the resume should be yours. It is a waste of valuable paper space to type in school & company addresses and phone numbers. Those can be provided on a separate page if they are requested.

Your resume should be 100% free of mistakes. It should be spaced and displayed appropriately on the page. Minimum 1" margin all the way around. No color paper, or wierd fonts. Use high quality paper and envelops.

The above should get you started....now get ye to the book store so you can finish.
Old 12-09-2004, 07:37 AM

The advice given above this post was very helpful, but still did not answer some of my questions. I have done a search of this and other sites and still have yet to find an example of what is considered to be the right kind or typical resume an appraiser would give out. I update my resume frequently and have an excellent resume for Marketing Management. As you can guess this doen't help me too much when it comes to an appraisal resume. If any of you that own your own comapny or have been in it a while know of or have a resume outline could you link or paste it. It would be greatly appreciated. Like I said before I have pretty much all the info I need, I am just unsure what other things to ad and which things are considered a waste of space. thanks in advance,
Shaun
Old 12-09-2004, 09:43 AM

State: Louisiana
Professional Status: Retired Appraiser

If you have zero appraisal experience but have taken classes, the only appraisal stuff you can list are the classes you took. Think about your background and things yhou have done...are there any skills/experiences that can translate over to appraisal. (math, sketching, file and office organizing, customer interaction, attention to detail type of items, writing experiences, computer skills and experience, etc.)

If the only experience you have is marketing, then that is what you need to talk about. If you are a newbie, no appraiser will expect you to have field experience. Success in one area probably means you have a greater chance of success in appraisal.

Basic outline of a resume...............

Your Name
Your Contact info
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Topic Title 1
Time frame --- Details

Topic Title 2
Time frame --- Details

Topic Title 3
Time frame --- Details

ETC.

I personally prefer that topics be experience category oriented, such as..........
Customer relations
Computer skills
Office management
Previous employers
Education
ETC.

Your topics would obviously depend upon your background.

This way, you can put your experiences from several different employers under one category.

For previous employers, I think it best to do something like...

Work Experience
1980-1985 Cook, McDonalds Restaurant, Timbuktoo, Ohio
1985-1990 Assistant Manager, Hardee's Restaurant, Timbuktee, Ohio
1991-1996 Inmate, State of Ohio Prison System, Columbus, Ohio

Etc. Leave off all addresses/phone #'s. If you are asked you can provide that info on separate paper.

While job hunting, be sure to remove any unbusiness like messages from your answering machine. Nothing worse than calling and hearing little Johnnie trying to be cute - that is only cute to Grandma and Grandpa, the rest of the world must suffer through it ... or just hang up.

Be prepared to appraise only part time when you are starting...do not give up your full time job.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:03 AM

State: Colorado
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

Your best resume' is YOU. Research your yellow pages, your state's appraiser registry for your city and county, and hit the street. Ring some doorbells, knock on some doors, and hopefully you will enable a few face-to-face meetings with the very persons who would open that envelope with your resume'......if you did have one to mail out. If you do carry a prepared resume' with you, know, that any noted awkwardness of spelling or grammar will likely be major points against you.

Take a drastic leap forward with that opportunity to shake a hand, look 'em in the eye, and hear and judge the quality of their questions to you, and their reply to your questions posed to them. Your questions should be of the "softball" variety in that first meeting. Know, that the process of scrutiny will be equally applied directly to you at that same time.

Explain your resume' verbally first, take a copy of your "last report" as it should theoretically be your "best" one, subtly mention the confidentiality issue so as to say why you have NOT blacked-out parts of that report. He or she will like that, will look over the report, and probably NOT insist that this be a copy you give them for later looking. As a matter of fact......do NOT leave that meting withOUT your sample look-at-this report ! Just as you see them getting to the last page or two slowly extend you hand in the assumption that they will be handing it back to you. They will.

Since you have done about 50 reports now.....your feet are already wet. Any resume' about you is best created by you. My resume' has no elements of YOU in it. Draft something, outline your education and work history, then have a friend or family member....who knows you.....chop 50% of that draft off......and then you tidy-up what remains for final printing.

The hand shake, the sincerity in your eyes, and the quality of your spoken words will likely be what is remembered more than anything else. Good luck.
Old 12-09-2004, 02:47 PM

Thanks for all the help guys, that outline helps out a lot. I have about 1000 hours since I started about a year ago. I was just curious because my mentor only does commercial and all the business has to be brought in on my own. I would not have a problem with that if they would give me the chance to get some of the experience they are so dead set on me having. I assume they would want to see where you are at with your hours and a few companies you have worked with as well. Thanks again for those posts, they are much appreciated.

Shaun
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread