Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > General Appraisal Discussion
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 12:32 PM

State: Minnesota
Professional Status: General Public

We got a fax from a client we almost never do business for. It stated that due to new USPAP guidelines, a supervisor appraiser may only supervise 3 appraisers.

Questions:
1. is this true?
2. Is that to say that I could supervise 3 appraisers today (while inspecting) and 3 tomorrow while they write, and next week have 3 others that I supervise?
3. If I am supervising an appraiser today, but my husband supervises him on the next appraisal, how is this counted?

I'm just looking for clarification, not that we have enough appraisers to even necessitate this question, but am curious enough to put it out there...

Thanks.
Sponsored Links

Old 09-13-2004, 12:41 PM

State: Florida
Professional Status: Retired Appraiser

Right now, USPAP has nothing to do with number of trainees one can supervise.

Your State certainly does though. No one can answer your question without knowing which State you are located in.
Old 09-13-2004, 12:41 PM

State: Utah
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

Dee Dee,

USPAP 2004, Page 252, line 519 clearly describes the number of appraisers that can be supervised by one appraiser. It also lays out the punishment for failure to report the number in each and every report.

Also check AO 29 for further information!

Old 09-13-2004, 12:50 PM

State: Florida
Professional Status: Retired Appraiser

The last AO is #27
Old 09-13-2004, 12:53 PM

State: Minnesota

Our state is Minnesota.

I am looking at the online version of USPAP, so I don't have page numbers... can you tell me what the section title is? Also, as was mentioned, the last AO that I see is 27.
Old 09-13-2004, 12:55 PM

State: Ohio
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

I believe the "3" is one of the proposed revisions that will take place in 2007 or 2008. Right now, USPAP does not limit the # of trainees, but each state can set their own limits. :dance:
Old 09-13-2004, 01:14 PM

State: Oregon

DeeDee

The number of registered assistants/trainees that a licensed/certified appraiser may supervise is a function of your stste's rules & regulations - it is not specified in USPAP (if you think about it, it couldn't be).

My copy of the 2004 USPAP ends at page 251 and ends with AO-27. Line 519 is part of an explanitory comment in SR 1-1(a) that has nothing to do with the number of assistants. This is not April 1st.

Oregon Doug
Old 09-13-2004, 01:28 PM

State: California
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Chris is pulling your chain. The 2004 (bound) version of USPAP and the Advisory Opinions ends with AO-27 and page 229. Besides, this wouldn't even be in USPAP. It's part of the Appraiser Qualifications Board's "Real Property Appraiser Qualification Criteria, Effective January 1, 2008" and appears in the addenda. It's on page 41 of the PDF on The Appraisal Foundation's website:

http://www.appraisalfoundation.org/html/pd...AQBNewRPAQC.pdf

Quote:
C. The Appraiser Trainee is permitted to have more than one supervising appraiser, but a supervising appraiser may not supervise more than three trainees, at one time, unless a state program in the licensing jurisdiction provides for progress monitoring, supervising certified appraiser qualifications, and supervision and oversight requirements for supervising appraisers.
How and when a state appraisal board implements this policy will be up to them. Some states will do this sooner and some will probably wait until 01/2008 to do it.

I don't think it is the AQBs intention, nor that most states are going to view "may not supervise more than three trainees, at one time," as meaning that on one day the supervisor accompanies 3 trainees on their physical inspections and on the next day they accompany 3 other trainees. "Supervise" in this context will more likely be interepreted as comprising the entire professional relationship between supervisor and trainee category licensee rather than being limited to the mere physical presence of a supervisor while a trainee inspects.

In other words, the states will probably limit the employment of or association with trainees by a single supervisor to a maximum of 3. No big deal, since most appraisers are utterly incapable of adequately supervising more than one or two full-time trainees at one time anyway. Why would any ethical appraiser want to employ or associate with more than 3 trainees at one time?

But again, it's the states that will implement this policy in their appraisal licensing program, so you should probably contact them to see when and how they're going to do it.
Old 09-13-2004, 01:32 PM

State: California

My understanding is that the AQB has a number of changes that will become effective in 2008. At that time only certified res/gen appraisers (not licensed) will be able to sign off for trainees and they’ll be limited to three trainees at any one time. It was not exactly clear to me how this would be enforced, and I suppose the enforcement may differ from state to state. It may be that if you’re a mentor you’ll have to submit your 3 trainee names to your state board. Or maybe they’ll only allow the three trainees per yr to get experience hrs from any one mentor. The obvious intent is get a handle on the sweat shops where one or two mentors have a dozen+ trainees doing the work, and also to prevent people who have upgraded from trainee to licensed from immediately taking on trainees.

Other changes include increases in the number of required education hours and there will be college level education requirements for both certified residential and certified general levels. Existing licensees are to be “grandfathered” but if you’re currently licensed and wish to upgrade to certified residential or certified general you’ll have an easier time if you do it before 1/1/08.

All of these changes are “recommended” minimums by the AQB. States are free to add to these requirements or enact them before 2008. Most of these changes can be found on the Appraisal Foundation web site:

http://www.appraisalfoundation.org/html/PD...exd11-21-03.pdf

Alex Gilbert
AQB Cert. USPAP Instructor
Old 09-13-2004, 01:48 PM

State: Colorado

.....and then it also comes down to the "did inspect" or "did NOT inspect" issue. Well, which one was it ? Are you sure ?

Mrs. Homeowner, how many appraisers came out to your home recently on that day about 3 weeks ago ?, and walked through the varied levels and rooms of your home ? Only one ? You only remember one being there ?....really....O.K., thank you, no, no, .... that's o.k., thank you very much.
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread