Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > General Appraisal Discussion
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 09:36 PM

State: Oklahoma
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

Is there an adjustment if say for instance you're subject has an attached garage and the comps have detached garages?
Sponsored Links

Old 09-14-2004, 09:38 PM

State: Colorado
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

You have to look to your market for the answer to that. It may be different everywhere.

Look at the size of the garages also. A 20 X 20 "2-car" isn't very appealing. You can really only fit 2 small cars and maybe the garbage cans.
Old 09-14-2004, 09:40 PM

State: New York

I would first find out what is typical for the neighborhood. Are attached garages the norm or detached? An attached garage might be typical and the subject has an older detached garage, depending on the area, an adjustment might be warranted. Find out what is typical and expected for the area.

Bob
Old 09-14-2004, 09:40 PM

State: Florida

Not in my market. Car storage is car storage. Adjustments are made by the # of cars. Might see a slight a adjustment for getting wet vs staying dry, but in most areas it's not enough to put on the grid.

You have to determine what your market suggests.
Old 09-14-2004, 09:42 PM

State: Arkansas
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

If they are the same size and function, I do not make an adjustment. Ask yourself, do you find one superior over the other if you were a buyer trying to make a decision.

If the detached garage is bigger, say, it is a 32 x 40 shop with parking for 2 cars plus a shop area, etc. I might adjust according to what the market is telling me. And keeping in mind that such a building might be out of place in an urban area, but very desirable in the country.
Old 09-14-2004, 11:56 PM

State: Illinois

FYI: Chris summed it up pretty well in stating "you haave to determine what YOUR market suggests."
I couldn't have said it better, but I did want to add my "ditto".
--Lee Lansford, IFA
Old 09-15-2004, 12:30 AM

State: Arkansas
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

I want to add my ditto to Chris: A car storage is a car storage except when your market says otherwise.
Old 09-15-2004, 08:56 AM

State: North Carolina

An appraiser in my market once found an adjustment of about $2K. Despite the higher cost of detached garages, he reasoned that the attached garages provide protection from the elements while a detached garage does not.

IMO, I might be willing to pay more for the detached garage with a finished room above as my office. This would give me some protection from the elements of wife and kids.
Old 09-15-2004, 09:13 AM

State: Ohio
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

The opposite school of thought are the 'noids that fear a car fire. These types do not want an attached garage in case the car catches fire, it won't burn the entire house with it.
This market says a garage is a garage. Could be attached, detached, or in the form of a pole barn. Size is what matters.
Old 09-15-2004, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug Walker@Sep 15 2004, 08:13 AM
This market says a garage is a garage. Could be attached, detached, or in the form of a pole barn. Size is what matters.
In some high-end s/d's in our area, the market reflects that attached carports are equally attractive to the buying public. I suppose if you're in a gated community and not concerned about security, and if you have weekly landscape service so you don't have to own stuff like mower/rakes/edger/etc., a carport would work. It does have the advantage of showing off your new ride. <_<

However, I've had two folks from one of those toney neighborhoods call and ask if they could rent the extra spot in my real ENCLOSED garage before Hurricane Ivan hits in a few hours. HA! Where do they think the grill, the porch swing, and all those hibiscus plants from the front porch are right now! :rainfro:
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread