Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > General Appraisal Discussion
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 07:49 PM

State: Wisconsin
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

My turn, my turn, my turn.

Shoot the assessor!!!! Or my neighbors.!!! Which should it be?

Got my revaluation notice in the mail today, along with a nice little letter of the how and why my property value went up 42%. :cry:

Reason given is raw land sales have increased from $3000 and acre to $10,000 an acre in the past year. Because we built a horse barn, we went from ag land to residential/recreational. Homes have increase in value in the area. The Wisconsin Dells area is being built up and more land in our township is now being considered for Dells development. (Never mind we are 15 miles away).
:cry: :dance:
My neighbors from Chicago were the ones who paid double and triple what I did for my land this past year. :rainfro:

If you were going before the board to ask (beg) for an adjustment, how and what ducks would you line up in a row, that they could not shoot down?

My taxes are now more then my payment and I donít have any kids in school. :eyecrazy:
Sponsored Links

Old 09-15-2004, 07:57 PM

State: New Mexico
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

Dang Ray - Didn't know you were doing so good - You might want to think about getting out of all the current ventures and move into investment properties.
Old 09-15-2004, 08:09 PM

State: Louisiana
Professional Status: Retired Appraiser

Look at all of the other properties in the area.

Is everyone being assessed at the same rate when compared to actual market value.

Sold for 100K assessed at 110K
Sold for 100K assessed at 130K (you)
Sold for 110K assessed at 120K

If you are getting zinged more, go to them and tell them you want the same inequity as the guy down the road. They can either raise these other people to equal you...or lower yours. If everyone is getting zinged about the same, and everything they have about your place is accurate...kiss your folding green goodbye.

Can you put any of your land into a forestry type preserve???

Tell them you want a discount for your good looks. :rofl:
Old 09-15-2004, 09:16 PM

State: New Mexico

Ray,

Can you justify the Ag use on the land? That made a huge difference in our rate.
Old 09-15-2004, 09:33 PM

I think so. That is one way I am heading. Keeping stock on it for our wagon rides at our Auction barn we are putting in. It is only ten miles from us. Our other ranch is to far south by 50 miles.

The auction barn will be an attraction for the city people that visit the Dells.

Want to turn the auction house in to an attraction for the Visitors.

"Travel back into time, to an old fashion auction house. Bring your children; let them hear the chant of the old time auctioneer. Enjoy fresh pop corn from old wood stove, while you buy Grandmaís old time rocker or mom a diamond ring. Saturday night is special fun filled Old fashion horse auction. Chant along with the Auctioneer. Horse drawn wagon rides for the family. Carmel corn, creamy home made ice cream. Wedsday night are for dad, this is our sporting goods night. He can by that Shotgun he been wanting, that bass boat or uncle Teds old spinning reel. Friday nights is our grocery night; buy those T-bone and Porter House steak by the case for pennies on the dollar. Stock you cubberd with all sorts of goodies at a small fraction of what you pay retail for. Summer time enjoy our fresh home grown vegetable auctions on Friday nights."

Keepen happy, feeden up, fast talk them and they will spend the money. Auction Fever.
Old 09-15-2004, 10:10 PM

State: California
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Ray,

Maybe you should start the Proposition 13 movement like we did in CA. Assessments can only go up 2%/year except when it is sold then reassessed at sales price. :twisted:
Old 09-16-2004, 08:04 AM

State: Arizona

Just because your valuation went up, does not necessarily mean your taxes will go up in proportion. If every body's values in a specific taxing area increased the same amount then the tax increase could be minimal. What happened to the spending in that tax district? Did it stay similar or did their spending increase dramatically? Assessed value and tax amount are like a seesaw. If one goes up, the other should go down so the final result remains level. For example if the school district spends $1,000 it doesn't matter if the value is $1,000 and the tax rate $1 or the value is $100 and the tax rate $10--the school district still receives $1,000 to spend.

So investigate your local government's spending before you get all upset about your value. Is your value comparable to what you would sell it for on the open market with a willing seller and buyer? If so, there isn't much room to complain. Then the example that T E Lawrence had. If your market value is $100,000 and all your neighbors are valued at $90,000 then you can protest your assessment. If however, you are valued at $90,000 and all your neighbors are valued at $100,000--then your assessed value needs to be raised!
Old 09-16-2004, 08:46 AM

If however, you are valued at $90,000 and all your neighbors are valued at $100,000--then your assessed value needs to be raised!

Never, Never, Never. I have not had a kid in school for 25 years, then it still cost me, because we had to ship him out for the winter. Pay additional for room and board and for him to go to school in that town. The state pay 25% of it.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:58 AM

State: Nebraska

Quote:
Originally posted by Ray Miller@Sep 16 2004, 07:46 AM
I have not had a kid in school for 25 years, then it still cost me, because we had to ship him out for the winter. Pay additional for room and board and for him to go to school in that town. The state pay 25% of it.
and now YOU get to pay that 25% for your neighbors..

deal with it.

But watch your school board and civic spenders carefully

Spendthrift public servants need the reins pulled in - :gunfire: HARD
Old 09-16-2004, 12:58 PM

State: Arizona

Yes, your neighbors paid the 25% for your kid to go to school--now it is pay back time! You sound like a Sun City tax payer! They seceded from the El Mirage school district so they wouldn't have to pay school taxes, no one under the age of 45 can live in Sun City. And now El Mirage in the midst of the six largest city in the USA is the poorest district in the state. State facilities are falling down and classrooms are crowded because there isn't enough tax base to support the school district. Although they do have a lot of volunteers from Sun City, which is a big help.

Closed Thread