Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > General Appraisal Discussion
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 03:17 PM

I have come across many homes with damp basements and they all seem to have detached downspouts where the water drains close to the home. How have you handled wording these situations in your reports? Please share your views.

Dee Ann
Sponsored Links

Old 09-16-2004, 06:21 PM

State: Virginia
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

I think the answer to your question is in your question.

If you are seeing a high number of Homes with basement water problems and downspouts near the wet spots, so note in the report. Disclose you are not an expert, unless you are.

Then move on.

A good architect will design a house without any need for gutters and downspouts.

The older homes usually had doors under a gable. No need for gutters.

Additionally, gutters concentrate water from the roof. Then you have to deal with inconsistent soil moisture around the perimeter of the dwelling.

A roof with proper overhang and proper vegetation under the drip edge to catch and break the splash of the water coming off the roof will not need gutters.

Gutters that can catch leaves is an architectural direction for the wood rot that happens behind the gutter.

Please join me in a prayer for all those who have gone in harm's way for our freedoms. From Valley Forge to Baghdad, from Iwo Jima to Normandy.

Roger R. Patzold <><
rpatzold@aol.com
Old 09-16-2004, 06:49 PM

State: New Mexico

Dee Ann - I know you're from Venus and Bobby Bucks is from Mars. It would be more helpful to you if you at least posted your state.

Good response Roger. However, some areas, unknown which one this is, might actually require gutters and downspouts. Not all areas have architects that are qualified enough to figure out how to direct the water away. And you are definitely right, not all areas have basements.

Dee Ann - report what you see, saw and observed. That's all. Nothing more. If you have a concern, then make it subject to an inspection by someone qualified and licensed in the field of basement water damage - do like everyone else - pass the buck or get ready for someone to sue you.
Old 09-17-2004, 07:32 AM

State: Alabama

Otis summed it up. Your an appraiser not a home inspector. State what you saw, what you KNOW and don't speculate on anything else.

BTW I am a home inspector and thats all I do. I would probably recommend repairing gutters but nothing more.
Old 09-17-2004, 07:43 AM

State: Michigan
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

Most of our homes here in the north do not have gutters and downspouts as the snow and ice rip them off. We also have an abundance of sandy soil so drainage is typically not a problem.

However, you should note on the URAR that under "site" there is a place for "drainage". When I have run into problems with wet basements due to poor drainage or high water table, this is where I note it. I simply state that the site appears to drain toward the improvements (house) which may explain the wet basement or that there is no adverse drainage problem so the wet basement may be caused by a high water table as evidenced by the swampland nearby.

I'm not an expert in water migration so I note the problem with a little comment and let the lender worry about it. Besides, coming up with solutions to a wet basement is beyond the scope of the appraisal.
Old 09-18-2004, 11:49 AM

State: Colorado

While gutters and downspouts are not a requirement...proper drainage away from the structure is.

If there is a problem with positive drainage then condition the appraisal on curing the problem.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:08 AM

Thanks for all your input guys!
Old 09-30-2004, 09:35 AM

State: Ohio
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Dee Ann-I have heard that up to 75% of water problems in crawl spaces or basements is due to poor lot grading or gutter/downspout problems.
Old 10-02-2004, 12:55 PM

State: California
Professional Status: Retired Appraiser

Drainage is a serious issue and can cost thousands of dollars to cure and thus affect marketabilty and value. That is why it is such a prominent requirement that it be addressed in FHA reports and the query is also a box to be checked on the URAR.

If you see a problem, you must condition it to be repaired and/or corrected. Otherwise, your final value could be faulty and you could be liable.

Mike
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread