Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > General Appraisal Discussion
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2004, 06:43 AM

State: Michigan
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

For about 5 years now, I have served on the Board of Directors of our local MLS which covers 4 counties and parts of 5 others. Sometimes the meetings have cut 3 hours out of a very busy schedule. (Anybody remember the refi boom?)

However, I think that we sometimes have to look at the small contributions we make as victories for our profession.

Over most of that time, the MLS Board has operated with 5 members though we are allowed up to 7. In the past 6 months, we have undertaken a review various MLS products as possible alternatives to our FNIS Paragon system. We have settled on the FlexMLS system and signed the contract. Changeover is in January. This system was my first choice. And my vote to switch constituted 20% of the decision making on the board.

In addition, we have just passed by-law changes that will mandate that in addition to x number of brokers and x number of licensees on the board, one Director position will be ear-marked for an appraiser thereby assuring that our profession will have input at the decision making level of the MLS.

Involvement is sometimes a pain in the behind but there certainly are some very satisfying times when one can look back at specific contributions with pride.

Old 09-17-2004, 08:10 AM

State: Nevada
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

Nice going Richard! Now, if the boards would recognize that appraisers deserve reduced rates because they dont use the full range of services, we'd be all set.
Old 09-17-2004, 08:50 AM

State: New Mexico

Good job Rich - I did some stuff with the board for years and we've finally gotten an appraiser elected to a member of the board. I also mentioned and it's an understood but not yet incorporated idea about keeping an appraiser on the board. Good Job.

I also agree with Tom.
Old 09-17-2004, 08:57 AM

State: Arizona

Some Appraisers WANT a REDUCED Rate cause they don't use ALL the services.
To ME that sounds just like SOMEONE wanting a CUT RATE from an APPRAISER cause they don't need ALL the service.
Old 09-17-2004, 09:11 AM

State: Ohio
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Way to go Richard, you da man!
Agreed with Karl. Agents can claim the same thing because they don't use the reports available from MLS nor do they check the solds or DOM as frequently as we do. They typically only look at the active listings. Course I would like to pay less, too....but...MLS is the best we have.
Old 09-17-2004, 09:19 AM

State: Michigan

In addition to myself as a director of the MLS, we have an appraiser as a director of the board.

The MLS is for the use of the members only. To be a member, you must be a Realtor. There is no distinction made on the basis of usage etc.

If we simply let non-member appraisers use the service then we would have to let non-member title companies, movers, banks, and finally the general public have full access to the MLS. The system is designed for the use of members only. If you want to use the system, you simply become a Realtor and ascribe to the Code of Ethics of NAR.

I'm not sure how unique our system is but we have a reciprocal agreement with about 7 or 8 boards that allows members of one board access to the MLS of the other boards. No additional fee. Our monthly MLS fee is $35 and for that I have access to all of the data from the various boards. Can't get a whole lot less expensive than that can it?
Old 09-17-2004, 09:27 AM

State: Ohio

WOW!
Wish it were that chaep and easy here. It would save LOTS of money. No extra fee? I need MLS from at least 2 areas and should have it in 2 others for the fringe areas that overlap into my area. No reciprocity here.
Old 09-17-2004, 10:00 AM

State: Nevada

Quote:
To ME that sounds just like SOMEONE wanting a CUT RATE from an APPRAISER cause they don't need ALL the service.
To me it sounds like paying for a 1004 when all you need is a desktop!

We dont need 90% of the crap they have on there...why should we pay 100% of teh fee? CMA's, customer tracking, prospect database, tour search, inventory database, website, contacts, notes, tasks,buyers qualifications, net sheets, listing manager options, etc.etc.etc. are useless to me.
Old 09-17-2004, 08:55 PM

There's a way to keep your so-called friends who want discounts at bay by following this merchant's advice to his friends and relatives:

"Hey, it ain't my relatives and friends that keep me in business."

EVER NOTICE that the discount your friends are looking for is the at-cost -- as in no profit to you. [READ pro bono.]

L- in MN
Old 09-17-2004, 09:04 PM

State: Arkansas

Quote:
your so-called friends who want discounts
It's not my relatives that are the problem, I have complete strangers call me wanting an appraisal over the phone for free. One guy had the audacity to ask me about a 120 acre parcel in Oklahoma, and I finally had to tell him I make a living charging people to appraise such tracts and I had no intention of giving a complete stranger an appraisal over the phone. Ditto for some woman wanting to bid on a house about to go into foreclosure. That was only a couple of weeks ago. And the Saturday morning call from a party whose farm I had appraised 2 husbands ago wanting to know how much it would bring now because she wants to sell it. Or how about last year when the guy crawls over my fence and flags me down while I am spraying herbicide. I mean I am dressed in full Tevik disposable overalls with hood, face mask, and rubber gloves and this guy is wading out across the place like I was spraying water.

Closed Thread