Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > General Appraisal Discussion
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 07:25 AM

State: Virginia
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

According to Anne O'Rourke in Appraisal today, dated 9-19-2004

The Residential Appraiser Project Team of the AI is recommending amending the requirements to achieve the SRA designation. Among the changes being recommended are those that would adjust course and examination requirements as well as the college degree requirement to parallel those required under the Appraiser Qualkifications Board's Real Estate Appraiser Qualifications Criteria that will go into effect in 2008. The new requirements for the AI will start in 2005.

The requirement for a demo appraisal will be dropped.

The requirement will be for 3000 hours of experience in no less than 24 months.

To subscribe to appraisal today send a blank message to:

mailto:join-appraisal_today_enews@titan.sparklist.com

Personally, at $900.00 per year for membership I will not be inspired to join. And, it is my opinion, it is all about increasing membership and dues income.

Old 09-20-2004, 08:20 AM

State: Connecticut

Correcto mundo; as they have lost members over the years, they need to fill in the gaps, not that their previous requirements were any better. The bottom line to all this "Membership" crapola - is your ability to be somewhat honest/Ehtical -EtAl; now ifn you had every "membership" designation made available to you and you were still a number hitter, cause ya need the Long Green, would it matter :question:

Aside from that and their increasing requirements fer edumacation, what do the Designations do for You :question: In the begining it was for respect and work effort and as it declined over the years, it has now gotten to a point of -what am I paying for :question: What do my Dues provide me with :question:

Of all the "Clubs" we have been involved, the only one we kept a membership in is the Mortgage Underwriters; it has great info., all done in paperback and Dues are not outrageous.

Old 09-20-2004, 08:28 AM

State: Oregon

I attended an AI-sponsored residential appraisal forum here in Oregon a few months back (4 hours of CE credit, you know?) and the speakers repeatedly stressed the importance of belonging to an appraisal organization, any appraisal organization. They suggested that younger or less experienced appraisers be mentored (not trained) by local SRA's.

This sounded good, except that most of the SRA's working in the area either produce an average minus product, or have reputations among other appraisers for being number hitters.

No thank you.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:28 AM

Sounds like death throes, doesn't it?
Old 09-20-2004, 03:02 PM

State: Illinois

Well, I guess that I have to add my vote:

I will give strong consideration to becoming a designated member of the Appraisal Institute.
I am certain that I receive benefits to my membership in the NAIFA that are not among the published list of benefits. Chief among these is my access to some real quality appraisers who have become friends. I know that I get back more (yes, both in terms of income and professional assistance) from my cost of membership than what I actually pay. I realize that there are many outside who have some difficulty in accepting that statement, but such has been my personal experience.
I have a professional friend who is a designated member of both organizations and he is a recognized leader in the profession here in Illinois. I find that the recognized leaders in the profession (sure, many don't treat us as professionals, including many who call themselves appraisers!) here in Illinois are designated members of one of the professional associations.
Are professional associations archaic? Well, designations don't open doors the way that they have in the past--that is for certain! I can not deny that. But, overall, I am certain that I am way ahead of the game due to my membership in the NAIFA.
"Just one appraiser's opinion!"

--Lee Lansford, IFA
Old 09-20-2004, 03:13 PM

State: Colorado

I have 4 years of college. No degree (dropped out of a 5 year program when I broke my back), over 40,000 hours and almost 21 years experience.

I took the demo writing class this summer, and have picked out my subdivision. Now, I guess I'll just forget about that.

Do they still require the narrative writing 5 day class.

I'm not sure I like the standards being lowered. I'll have to think about it. I do not like the yearly dues. And I don't like the fact that if you can't pay the yearly dues your designation goes bye bye.
Old 09-20-2004, 05:53 PM

State: Virginia

B) Nancy,

Wish I had all the answers. Why not send an e-mail and get on An O'Rourkes e-mail list? And, once signed up I am sure you can send a personal e-mail and ask her. She is an MAI. This may be a way of making a clear division between the commercial side and the residential side. I'm just guessing. But, one thing is clear, they need new members. However, the annual dues are a real barrier to most appraisers, at least IMNSHO.
Old 09-20-2004, 06:50 PM

State: California
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

I don't think the AIs problem with SRAs is the amount of their dues. The requirement for a 4-year degree is a barrier, and having a demo report that so far exceeds what any client would ever pay for is a little excessive. Reducing the education criteria to match the AQBs criteria is probalby helpful to the numbers, but I think they should just revamp the demo report requirements rather than eliminate it. Demo reports should reflect real world problems and solutions rather than the laundry list of every conceivable technical application possible. A little more emphasis on practical applications.

Still, I believe the reason the AIs membership is in decline is not their standards, but the perceived value in the market for those standards. If all a designation means is that the individual has more education and experience, then it is no better a guarantor of workproduct quality than the worst of the licensure programs run by the states. All of the licensure programs require education and experience.

There are too many examples of designated appraisers doing exactly the same things as the unwashed masses, thereby lowering themselves and - by association - their peers back down amongst the masses. And getting away with it. There is no indication the AI is agressively trying to prevent it; they seem to favor the code of silence. There are some who argue that as being the reason the feds finally gave up and resorted to licensing. To the extent that the market has come to equate the AI designations as being comparable or even equal to licensure, those designations have lost their advantages in the market.

The key to making appraiser licensing pay off with better appraisals is for the states to enforce their rules and regulations in a fair and timely manner. Only then a license be perceived by the public to automatically indicate a reasonable level of performance. I would say the same holds true for each of the appraisal organizations, only more so. When the AI cracks down on those bad apples who are besmirching their designations and their peers, those designations will eventually come to mean something in the marketplace other than a supplemental education program. If and when that happens the AI (or whichever organization gets there first) actually will take over the market. Licensure would end up being meaningless.

The Appraisal Institute certainly has the means to do it. All they have lacked (so far) is the will.
Old 09-20-2004, 07:10 PM

State: Colorado

When was the last time you were asked if you had a designation? My personal opinion is that they need members and need them badly. I have many friends who have given up their designations...including a couple of MAIs.

I completed all the course work, was granted all my experience credits, and was writing my demo when they brought in the college degree requirement ... something I don't have. While I would like to have the designation, I don't feel I really need it and can't justify nearly a thousand dollars a year membership fee.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:06 PM

State: New Jersey
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Wow,

Glad to hear they're not giving away the RM designation like that.....

Do you need a designation today? Probably not. It's nice to have one if you work by yourself and need help with a problem, then you can call a designated friend.

But then, only a "designated" CPA is good enough to do my income taxes.....

Ben SRA,RM
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread