Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Other Forums > The Watercooler
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 08:05 AM

State: Texas
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

I have held my tongue and almost let it slip last night in the chat room. The next time a newbie logs into the chat room wanting to know about joining the appraisal profession, I am going to raise my brutally honest answers to the next level.

They almost invariably answer all the experienced appraisers questions with "I love a challenge!"

What, do they tell people this the correct answer for any question regarding employment?

From now on, I am going to answer that remark with, "If you love a challenge, what happened to all your success at your last job? If you failed at that, you will never make it as an appraiser!"

Old 09-22-2004, 08:29 AM

State: Ohio
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Interview catch phrases and their meanings:
I love a challenge. (I am a failure)
I am enthusiastic. (I have ADD)
Career oriented (Looking out for #1, wil screw you over to get what I want)
Old 09-22-2004, 08:50 AM

State: Colorado

Tim-

The newbies probably should not bother people in the chat room looking for work.

But, what words do you want them to use? I agree, if someone came into my office and told me they love a challange I would be thinking good grief, go climb a 14er then.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:25 AM

State: Tennessee
Professional Status: General Public

Tim,

People are just looking for work. Usually, there is a commonly socially acceptable

method of expressing enthusiam as a defining quality.

Unfortunately, there seems to be plenty of people looking for work to the point of

internet chat room desperation.

Tim,

I feel your pain. Peace out.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:01 AM

State: North Dakota
Professional Status: Real Estate Agent or Broker

Iíll tell you what has really been getting on my nerves lately. Preppy, frat boy with the initials after his signature has been going steadily downhill since his trainees left to fly on their own. This frat boy has mega initials after his name since he has a designation and an MBA.....widget boy I call him...just picture in your mind the most anal paired sales puke in the general forum and multiple by 10 and there you go....now since this is a pig farmer thread, anyone reading this is
automatically excluded from being a paired sales puke. :P ..in every conversation he brings up something about grad school....heís always afraid someone will forget he has an MBA. Even the other designation initial boys try to avoid him. Since his trainees left, heís been miserable because the SOB is so computer challenged he canít get out 2 reports a week. His solution? He started
teaching. He is now cranking out the trainees like Carlton Sheets zombies....he gets their money and he instructs them to call every appraiser in the yellow pages to ask for not only a job, but for several hours of free career counseling to discuss the future of appraising .......Iíve never minded the occasional call from someone with a trainee license and if they leave a polite, sincere message
I return the call.....these folks are a different breed entirely.....Iíve had a couple of them get hostile because I havenít returned calls....one was so upset he called frat boy teacher, then called back and said frat boy insinuated I was unprofessional for not taking the day off to show him the ropes....well turnabout is fair play.....since the games began, I started printing out those comp check requests and MB street walker orders and I began referring them to frat boy....the battle
never ends.....
Old 09-22-2004, 10:17 AM

State: Tennessee
Professional Status: General Public

Tim,

Once I wanted to be a pig farmer.

Once I was a younger lad living on 10 acres surrouned by miles of empty land.

Lived in a trailer - single wide - my room was the couch in the living room - my step-fathers joke - was that my bedroom was the Gun Rack on the wall in the hallway.

I had decorated this gun rack with all of my personal belongings with the exception of my clothes which were housed-in the single bath - the washing machine had been removed the bathroom/laundry room -

anyways - hahahahhaha

if your still reading ..... hehehhehe

I had one drawer for my clothes in the dresser, my two other sisters had the other two drawers - but the also had a bunk of there own in the second bedroom.

after watching .... Reggie Jackson hit 3 homers in row one night on TV - saying to the camera - "Hi Pop". everytime he hit one out - it was facinating to witness ...

... after that game that night ....

..... I went to sleep on the couch and dreamed of being a pig farmer .....
Old 09-22-2004, 10:33 AM

State: Nebraska
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

:rainfro:

Bobby, Thanks for makin' my morning brighter...

Our "middle kid" is buying a new construction residence... and a local fella whose name I have never seen on an appraisal, but whose GRANDDADDY signs a bunch was chattering on to my Mother-in-Law about how busy he is and that he refuses to work on Sundays anymore.... he isn't licensed <_< See she was decribing the guy and I said THAT ain't hte portly fella by that name I know and dislike...

I can ONLY hope that we get a report that has grand daddy's name on the sig line. :twisted: See that middle child is a married girl child, thus the penny didn't drop as to who her relatives might be.

I have known for some time that this has been happening but never before had PROOF...

My phone hasn't been ringing off the hook lately, you see. Ditto several other reputable folks I stay in contact with ...

The kid spent some 20 minutes chattering off the mother-in-law's ear about how busy they are, and how he now 'just refuses to work on Sundays'...

All I been getting is reviews..

Maybe I'll send on some comp checks to help them in their pursuit of the bottom line. The fine(s) might help the state in furhter investigations:gunfire: Wouldn't want them to come up short in ability to pay
Old 09-22-2004, 11:11 AM

Quote:
All I been getting is reviews..
Lee Ann

I work with a bank that the only thing I get from them are reviews. In a way, that is a major compliment. They trust me to do reviews on the appraisers that are doing the appraisals. I agree that I would like appraisal work, in this office, from this bank.

Hope things have picked up for you since SF.
Old 09-22-2004, 11:14 AM

State: North Dakota
Professional Status: Real Estate Agent or Broker

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Ann@Sep 22 2004, 10:33 AM
how he now 'just refuses to work on Sundays'...

Lee Ann not to change gears, but I've recently had a bellyful of those "Refuse to work Sundays crowd"....in my experience the ones that crow about it to everyone really have the attitude that "I can sh!t on everyone I do business with the first 6 days as long as I don't sh!t on anyone on the 7th".... what they don't say is that they'll b!tch about the service in the restaurant they frequent for Sunday buffet which is baing manned by the heathens they so despise. :lol:

Technically, the 7th day is Saturday.....you think the really anal ones would at least get the day right.

The thumpers do have one redeeming quality....they will probably vote for Dubya.
Old 09-22-2004, 11:31 AM

State: Texas

Quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Bucks@Sep 22 2004, 10:14 AM
The thumpers do have one redeeming quality....they will probably vote for Dubya.
This is not the lounge!

Keep it to the pig farmer topic! :eyecrazy:

Closed Thread