Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Other Forums > The Watercooler
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 10:33 PM

State: Tennessee
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

Paul Harvey Writes:

We tried so hard to make things better for our kids that we made them worse.

For my grandchildren, I'd like better.

I'd really like for them to know about hand me down clothes and homemade ice
cream and leftover meat loaf sandwiches. I really would.

I hope you learn humility by being humiliated, and that you learn honesty by
being cheated.

I hope you learn to make your own bed and mow the lawn and wash the car.

And I really hope nobody gives you a brand new car when you are sixteen.

It will be good if at least one time you can see puppies born and your old
dog put to sleep.

I hope you get a black eye fighting for something you believe in.

I hope you have to share a bedroom with your younger brother/sister. And

it's all right if you have to draw a line down the middle of the room,but

when he wants to crawl under the covers with you because he's scared, I hope
you let him.

When you want to see a movie and your little brother/sister wants to tag along, I hope you'll let him/her.

I hope you have to walk uphill to school with your friends and that you live in a town where you can do it safely.

On rainy days when you have to catch a ride, I hope you don't ask your driver to drop you two blocks away so you won't be seen riding with someone as uncool as your Mom.

If you want a slingshot, I hope your Dad teaches you how to make one instead of buying one.

I hope you learn to dig in the dirt and read books.

When you learn to use computers, I hope you also learn to add and subtract in your head.

I hope you get teased by your friends when you have your first crush on a boy\girl, and when you talk back to your mother that you learn what ivory soap tastes like.

May you skin your knee climbing a mountain, burn your hand on a stove and stick your tongue on a frozen flagpole.

I don't care if you try a beer once, but I hope you don't like it.

And if a friend offers you dope or a joint, I hope you realize he is not your friend.

I sure hope you make time to sit on a porch with your Grandma/Grandpa and go
fishing with your Uncle.

May you feel sorrow at a funeral and joy during the holidays.

I hope your mother punishes you when you throw a baseball through your neighbor's window and that she hugs you and kisses you at Hannukah/Christmas time when you give her a plaster mold of your hand.

These things I wish for you - tough times and disappointment, hard work and happiness. To me, it's the only way to appreciate life.

Written with a pen. Sealed with a kiss. I'm here for you. And if I die before you do, I'll go to heaven and wait for you.
Sponsored Links

Old 09-27-2004, 11:08 PM

State: California

With prices so high he may get his wish. The grandkids will be priced out of the housing market.

I guess I'm happy to not be part of the MTV generation.
They feel no highs or lows.
Quote:
Hows' that working for you?
Meh.

:rofl:
Old 09-28-2004, 12:03 AM

State: New Hampshire

Quote:
We tried so hard to make things better for our kids that we made them worse.
Doug. Thank you for posting that. It reminds me of my father's teachings. He didn't want us to want but he also didn't want us to be spoiled.

The "great generation" knew the things that you just posted b/c they had to. Kids these days are so spoiled in that they do not have a clue what it means to want or to be charitable. I do not think that means they are lucky though.

My father was born in 1926, had me when he was 50. He grew up around the time of the great depression. When he was a kid his parents opened up the back yard to people that were out of luck. Everyone in the family had a job around the house. My father was fortunate as a kid to get a paper route. He would deliver papers in the morning, go to school during the day, and work around the house in the afternoon. He would give his pay check to his parents who would in turn feed the multiplying families in the back yard. This made my father proud. Until one day his paper route was taken away from him due to the child labor laws. (from this point on he hated liberals! Liberals would take away a kids desire to help others while raping the parents paychecks to do a half a** job on their own).........Anyway

As a man he became very wealthy and never forgot charity but he didn't want his kids to ever want like he did as a child. We were spoiled. Never wanted, never knew hunger or poverty, got anything our hearts desired.

Most of my sibling grew up not learning his lessons. They had what they needed. A nice upbringing, college paid for, never had a care in the world. Spoiled! I try so hard to remember what my father taught me. It gets even harder to teach the next generation. They have no clue.
Old 09-28-2004, 12:36 AM

I agree Kate. I see it in my own child, not that I have a lot to do with how she is being raised. I do the best I can in the time that I am allowed. She wants everything, but takes care of nothing and takes delight in the "getting". Once she has it, she cares nothing for it. It is on to the next quest for something else. She will not be satisfied until she has everything. No matter how big or how small. I do not spoil her. She has to earn the money that she gets. I do not buy her a lot of things, but she is murder at Wally world. Sometimes I feel like a Ogre, and like I should buy her something, so she will have something from me. But then I realize that she does. She has a great time with me. She sleeps is total peace at my house. She plays with the animals and rides her bike and spends quality time with me. Money can't buy that.

I was raised on a farm. My father didn't have a college education. He played 2 semesters on a football scholarship at Old Miss and had to come home to work the family farm. We never had a lot of money and still don't. He didn't get a good job until after I was in school. We never went without the things that we needed and a few of the things that we wanted, but we were never spoiled. I can remember my father going to work in shoes that had been polished so many times, they were cracked. Shoes that he would throw away now, before he would even wear them to the barn, but we always had new shoes for church and for school. My mother made every piece of clothing that I owned until I was in Jr. High. From Sunday suits to Winter coats, she made them all for my brother and me. We were growing so fast, it didn't make sense to buy them. She would leave extra material in so she could let them out later. We spent after school and weekends on the farm, not at the movies or the skating rink. Every Sunday was church in the morning, lunch at Mamaw and Papaws and supper at Granny and Granddaddy's. Rain or shine, it was like a ritual. I can sit here now and remember how angry I was at the time. Hating every minute spent on that farm and wishing I could go skating or to the movies or play ball or whatever the other kids were doing. I can sit here now and feel so damned foolish for ever feeling that way. Only now do I realize what Mamaw meant about wishing your life away. I spent my childhood wishing I was anywhere else, and now I spend my adulthood wishing I could go back to that time. Those days on the farm seem like some of the best times of my entire life now, and have made me what I am. I thought I was built in labor for the farm, but what I was really learning was work ethics, and business, and honesty. I was learning love and sense of accomplishment. I was learning responsibility and how to create fun, when it seemed like there was none. Instead of feeling like a well rounded, semi successful adult, I feel more like an idiot. I thought I was so smart back then. I wish I was that smart now. I learned to weld and to fix engines and to think outside the box on the farm. I owned an auto parts store and now own a welding business. I learned what property was worth and how to deal with commodity contracts and crop brokers. I learned about markets, and expenses and how to run a business, because that is what a family farm is. All that time that I was getting my "education", I thought I was just being used. I thought I was so smart then. We couldn't afford to go buy new when soemthing broke. We either figured out a way to fix it, or we figured out a way around it. We still have an old sickle bar hay mower and I can't tell you how many times I have welded it back together. I promise you that me and you and 2 more couldn't count it on our fingers and toes! Days off were spent daming creeks to make swiming holes, busting a watermelon over a rock and eating the heart out of it. Sleeping in the barn loft in the rain. Camping with the kids from the next farm in the middle of either their fields or ours. It was a different time. A different place. A place I wish I could take my child to. I feel so stupid for wishing those days away. They have made me what I am. Good or bad. My core values will never change. All because of that place. I will have that chance again someday. My father has told me that he is leaving me the farm in his will. I hope I get to take my child there before they pass. If not, I will take my grandchildren. I will die where I started. But this time, I will be smarter.
Old 09-28-2004, 10:48 AM

State: Texas

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug Bingham@Sep 27 2004, 11:36 PM
I was raised on a farm.
Now, there is a shocker....not! :rainfro:
Old 09-28-2004, 11:01 AM

State: New Mexico

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Hicks (Texas)+Sep 28 2004, 10:48 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Tim Hicks (Texas) @ Sep 28 2004, 10:48 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Doug Bingham@Sep 27 2004, 11:36 PM
I was raised on a farm.
Now, there is a shocker....not! :rainfro: [/b][/quote]
I heard Tim was Hatched :eyecrazy: :eyecrazy: :eyecrazy: :eyecrazy:
Old 09-28-2004, 11:02 AM

State: New Hampshire

Doug I love the way you write. You should do more of it.

Different generation Doug. Do we need to go through another great depression to bring back humanity?
Old 09-28-2004, 11:14 AM

State: Colorado

Quote:
Originally posted by Kate@Sep 28 2004, 09:02 AM
Do we need to go through another great depression to bring back humanity?
I think it will take another Great Depression to remind us of what our priorities should be.
Unfortunately, it would also bring out some real cannibals.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:47 AM

Kate .... It doesn't happen that often, but Dee Dee and I agree 100% on this. Our priorities in life are so detached that it is pathetic. All of our efforts go into paying our bills and buying more stuff. We have left the raising of our children to the schools and in rare instances, our churches. Neither of these would be a bad thing, except that the education they are getting isn't in the classroom. It is on the playground or on the bus and it isn't coming from the teachers, it is coming from the other kids. Another depression, would bring things closer to home for all of us. The last depression had it's cannibals also, but the good, in the long run, outweighed the bad. After the depression, people were more frugal. Families stayed together because they learned that had to depend on each other for survival. There were fewer fights among couples, because they knew that they were in it together. People were focused on necessities, not luxuries. The great depression had it's tragedies, but it also had long term positive effects. Is that what it will take for us to return to the basics? Maybe...... or maybe it just takes some effort on our part. Saying no, to ourselves and our kids. Refusing to spend money that we do not have. Finding ways to entertain ourselves that do not cost money. Reining in our wants. Counting our blessings. Changing our attitudes. I doubt that any of this will happen, but it is a nice thought. If we are forced to this point, we can handle it, and we may come out on the other side with better relationships, better kids, better finances and something that we could all use ..... self reliance ......
Old 09-28-2004, 03:13 PM

State: Colorado

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug Bingham@Sep 28 2004, 09:47 AM
It doesn't happen that often, but Dee Dee and I agree 100% on this.
:P :P :P :P :lol:

I'll bet that we would agree on far more than you think.

Closed Thread