Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Other Forums > The Watercooler
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 07:35 AM

State: North Carolina
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

According to the Sense & Sensibility of Todays World.... People over 30 should be dead. Here's why ...................

They claim (Regulators, Scientists & Bureaucrats) that those of us who were kids in the 40's, 50's, 60's, or even maybe the early probably shouldn't have survived. Our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paint. We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles , doors or cabinets, and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets. (Not to mention the risks we took hitchhiking.) As children, we would ride in cars with no seatbelts or air bags. Riding in the back of a pickup truck on a warm day was always a special treat. We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle. Horrors! We ate cupcakes, bread and butter, and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we were never overweight because we were always outside playing. We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle, and no one actually died from this. We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then rode down the hill, only to find out we forgo! t the brakes.. After running into the bushes a few times , we learned to solve the problem. We would leave home in the morning and play all day , as long as we were back when the street lights came on . No one was able to reach us all day. NO CELL PHONES!!!!! Unthinkable! We did not have Playstations, Nintendo 64, X-Boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, video tape movies, surround sound, personal cell phones, personal computers , or Internet chat rooms . We had friends! We went outside and found them. We played dodge ball, and sometimes, the ball would really hurt . We fell out of trees , got cut and broke bones and teeth ; , and there were no lawsuits from these accidents. They were accidents. No one was to blame but us. Remember accidents? We had fights and punched each other and got black and blue and learned to get over it. We made up games with sticks and tennis balls and ate worms , and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very ma! ny eyes , nor did the worms live inside us forever. We rode bikes or w alked to a friend's home and knocked on the door , or rang the bell or just walked in and talked to them. Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Some students weren't as smart as others, so they failed a grade and were held back to repeat the same grade. Horrors! Tests were not adjusted for any reason. Our actions were our own. Consequences were expected . The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke a law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law. Imagine that! This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors, ever. The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas. We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all. And you're one of them! Congratulations! Please pass this on to others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before lawyers and government regulated our lives, for our own! good !!!!! People under 30 are WIMPS
Sponsored Links

Old 09-29-2004, 08:03 AM

State: Michigan
Professional Status: Retired Appraiser

I worked in a bar in my early 20s, back in the 80's. Every time the phone rang, the customers would call out "I'm not here"

After I had wed and had kids of my own and had been out of the "bar scene" for a while, I went out with a couple girlfriends and had a few drinks at a "sports bar." Someone's phone rang, and everybody looked around for their cell phone so they could answer.

Talk about a change!
Old 10-02-2004, 06:26 AM

State: North Carolina
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

I miss the safer world of when we were growing up. We used to stay out as long as we wanted somewhere near our neighborhood, the thought of some child-molesting pervert never entered our parents' minds. I don't think we had to lock our doors either, at least I don't remember ever locking them. These days, I feel lucky if I wake to discover that we went to bed with a door unlocked and nothing happened. A rapist attacked a woman in my neighborhood last summer during the early evening, escaped undetected into the adjacent greenway.

My wife won't let our kids go a block away without someone going with them. We have a fairly safe neighborhood, other than neighbors frequently speeding, but crackpots seem to live anywhere in the country nowadays. You just never know when some insane individual could show up in your town.

How about those cell phones? People can't seem to go anywhere w/o them (how irritating having to listen to a conversation in a restaurant or a ringer goes off in the middle of a movie theater!), and when I do forget my cell phone I get yelled at by my wife, "Why didn't you answer your phone". Give me a break.

Mold: I went into a basement yesterday, thinking boy that smell seems familiar from my youth (I grew up in house with a basement). When I turned on the lights, I could see where water had leached into the basement and mold was present along the floor and a wall. Lived in that kind of environment everyday, but never got ill from breathing mold spores. We never thought anything of it when I was growing up. These days, people are getting sued left and right over the presence of mold.

Driving through the rural countryside (as I head off to some appraisal assignment), I often get the inkling to return to a simpler life when everything around me moves at a slower pace. Someday I hope to purchase some acreage in the country and get some relief from the stress and annoyances of Suburbia. Can't wait.
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread