Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Other Forums > The Watercooler
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 09:01 PM

State: New Jersey
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Got a problem. The daughter buys an FHA repo...which needs lots of repairs...and wow...no repairs listed on the appraisal report....which I like cause I was dreading having to put repair money into escrow for her.....but anyway...

I have two dead circuits. I traced them back to the main circuit breaker panel. The panel actually has dead spots which I can't figure out as all the breakers snap onto the same metal bar. If I move the dead circuit to another breaker position, it will work. If I move a good circuit to the bad circuit spot on the panel, it won't work.

What gives??
Sponsored Links

Old 10-03-2004, 09:14 PM

State: Arkansas

Check the polarity (i use a little 3 prong device that tells me whats wrong or right - something is feeding back or a wire has been disconnected out of sight.
PS- Probably should be suspecious of my advice. I once stuck an insulated screwdriver into a 440 V socket and arc welded about inch of the bugger, not to mention near blinded me from the flash. I stay on the 220 v single phase panel now.
Old 10-03-2004, 09:25 PM

Ter,

The wires are OK. I went through each junction box to make sure all was well. It's actually at the 100 amp panel. There are snap in spots for the circuit breakers..some spots are just dead. I can't figure that out as they are all on the same stamped metal board..the breakers just snap onto the metal posts..some posts are dead. If I move the breaker around on the panel, the circuit works.

Ben
Old 10-03-2004, 09:38 PM

Ben --

One of the receptables may be wired both forward and backward and the nip in between the plug not removed so they function together, or not at all.

L- in MN
Old 10-03-2004, 09:42 PM

State: Arkansas

If Larry doesn't have the answer, you need a new box, its cooked somewhere. Check and see if juice is available on both sides of the fuse
Old 10-03-2004, 09:48 PM

State: Texas

Replace the box with a 200 amp box with main cutoff. It's easier than trying to diagnose a faulty box. Besides, you'll continue to have problems, anyway.

Just mark your wires and have the power company pull the meter for you, then you can change it out in less than half a day.
Old 10-03-2004, 09:53 PM

L,

I don't understand. How would that cause the problem?

Let me try to explain it better. The 15 amp circuit for the lighting is located below the main 100 amp breaker in the main panel. That circuit won't work. I checked all the wiring so I moved the 15amp breaker to the bottom of the 100 amp panel and the lighting circuit now works. If I place another lighting breaker in the spot below the main breaker, that circuit, which was working before, is now dead. So it's in the main panel. I just can't see how it can be as all of the posts that the breakers snap onto are on the same stamped metal board. It's driving me crazy.

Ben
Old 10-03-2004, 10:44 PM

State: Mississippi

It may be that one 'leg' has dropped out. Could be the breaker box, or the meter base, or the service line, or the transformer. Are any of the 220v componants acting screwy, like they're only running on 110v?

(Have multi-meter, will travel)
Old 10-03-2004, 11:00 PM

Dan,

Nothing is 220 in the house. Stove is gas. The dryer is 110.

Ben
Old 10-03-2004, 11:55 PM

State: Washington
Professional Status: Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.

What type of panel is it? If it is an old American Electric panel. The cause could be that they have been snapped in and out so many times that the metal there may be worn and not making contact. Could be some rust in that spot. WHat you can do is get a flute meter and check the spot for current. If you are going to change out the panel find out what type of service comes into the house. If you only have a 100 amp service then no sense in hooking up a 200 amp panel. If you only have a 100 amp service then just get a new 100 amp panel and do a hot swap. The hot swap is not difficult to do I have done three now. But first check what type of service you have coming in to the house.
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread