Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Marketing
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 10:10 PM

State: North Carolina
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

Do any of you have any experiences, advice, comments, etc. for someone who has been asked (me) to speak at a homebuyer's seminar along with a real estate agent, attorney, and lender? I have done this once or twice, but would like some ideas on how to make a great presentation and impression... not only on the homebuyers, but also on the other speakers in hopes of gaining new business.

BTW, I don't have a laptop / Powerpoint set-up, so that's out of the question for now.

Thanks for any responses.

Hank O.
Sponsored Links

Old 10-28-2004, 04:54 PM

State: New Mexico

Hank - I even suggest this to relocation transferees so it's a good point to go with the others that will probably come up later.

I always suggest that they contact a local appraiser who is experienced and has been in the business for sometime to consult with. Each appraiser sets his/her own fees so I can't tell you what it costs but it's worth every penny that you will pay. Appraisers are in the business for long term. We study the markets. We know where there are areas of settlement, termites, flood plains, etc.

When the market gets hot, everyone becomes a real estate agent - including your son or daughter who just got out of high school. When the market goes south, so do a whole bunch of the new agents, but the appraisers are still here.

You, as a potential buyer, pays me, as a consultant, a fee. As such, I get no more or no less by telling you any more or less. I'm not on a commission so I will tell you everything that I know about a market area or location.

It's far better to pay me or another appraiser a consultation fee and an hour or two out of our day now than to buy a home and then attempt to sell it in several years to only find out that you owe more than it's worth. A whole bunch more.
Old 10-30-2004, 01:15 PM

State: Michigan
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Hank,

One of the most effective ways that I found is to simply explain the URAR. Each section, comments, the over 1400 or so decisions that may be processed by the appraiser. Also I pass out a URAR to everyone, you can either fill it out ahead of time or leave it blank.

I have found a general overall surprise from the audience regarding the amount data and analysis we have to use. Most people don't have a clue, and the interaction is usual pretty good especially for some story telling.

john
Old 11-02-2004, 05:42 PM

State: Missouri

Hank for what its worth I am in a similar scenario in terms of utilizing technology for the sake of presentation. Having said that, I have presented to a few different groups in the past year using what I call a "stump the band format". What I do is go over a lot of the "typical myths" that are so prevalent by homeowners in that I ask the question in a true/false format or multiple choice format then call on someone in the audience to respond to that specific question. Typically I may have a handout of 10-15 question on a sheet of paper. Then I go over the correct answer to that specific question. This in turn generates more questions and or further clarification by the audience. I try to intermix the questions with some fluff and some more difficult/technical questions. When you think of all of the odd things you stumlbe across in this business the questions really start flying right off the top of your head.

I like this format because I can get the audience involved in participation, you get immediate feed back and it seems more interesting and lively than if I just stand up and lecture for 1/2 hour or more. In some situations if the audience gets the right answer, I provide them with an inexpensive gag type of gift or something of nominal value.

If you want more info feel free to contact me directly - Good luck KJ
Old 11-08-2004, 07:09 AM

State: New York

I was asked by a mortgage lender to be a guest speaker at a luncheon that he was hosting for local realtors; I agreed. My only advice after having done this is don't ever agree to speak to a gathering of realtors; a year later I'm still recovering from the trauma. :cry:
Old 11-11-2004, 03:12 PM

State: North Carolina

Maybe you can attend someone else's seminar prior to whenever yours starts. Several companies do this in my area. A FSBO organization is one in particular. Find out who else is doing them in your area to see what they do. Good luck!
Old 11-16-2004, 08:56 AM

State: Pennsylvania
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

I wouldn't get into handing out a URAR and going through it. Rather, give them info that will be helpful and interesting. If your market is homebuyers, give them advice on what to look for in a home, how to match a home to their needs, and tie it to value...what features add value and what don't. You might want to give a layman's definition of market value - "what the home would sell for if you stuck a for-sale sign in the front yard and enough people had enough time to look at it". Also might want to explain what an appraisal IS (a professional opinion of value based on sales of similar properties) and what it ISN'T (a determination of value). Might want to explain that the bank must order the appraisal, so they shouldn't go out and get one and expect to use it for financing. Another good area to discuss would be functional overimprovements (but don't use these technical appraisal terms) in other words give them examples of things that may be valuable to them but not necessarily add value in the market (proverbial gold plated water faucets). Talk about potential return on cost for various renovation projects if they are looking at fixer-uppers. Speak in generalities. Remember, they aren't appraisers. They aren't even real estate agents, so speak in layman's terms.
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread