Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Marketing
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2004, 12:17 PM

I am going to solicit our firm's services to our local mortgage companies next week. I've prepared presentation packets to distribute. My concerns are (1) I've never been much of a sales person but I'll get over that quick and (2) Where to start?? ie, Who should I speak to and what has worked for you?

Also, a minor concern I have is I'm wondering if I should ask them straight up whether they'll use our services b/c if not, I don't want to waist my materials on those that will just toss it.

As you can probably tell, I'm very new to this idea of face to face sales and would appreciate any advice you all might extend to me.

Thanks Allison
Sponsored Links

Old 11-07-2004, 10:13 PM

State: Alabama
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

Quote:
Originally posted by allison lucas@Nov 7 2004, 12:17 PM

Also, a minor concern I have is I'm wondering if I should ask them straight up whether they'll use our services b/c if not, I don't want to waist my materials on those that will just toss it.
LOL I think it is great idea! Why waste time?

I am prejudice I admit because the local lenders won't use me. To many Appraisers that "are willling to work with them".
Old 11-08-2004, 10:44 AM

Quote:
I shoud rephrase that remark. What I meant to say is I'd like to know whether they're certain that they cannot expand they're use of appraisers. If so, I'll keep my goods cuz they get expensive to compile.

One solid question that came to mind is, who should I ask to speak to?

Thx Allison
Old 11-08-2004, 02:06 PM

State: Alabama

Well, around here the loan officers generaly pick their appraiser. One company can have 4 LO and they use 4 different appraisers. Some may use 2-3 Appraisers and rotate between them but it's not typical. So my best answer is it depends. :-)
Old 11-08-2004, 03:38 PM

State: New York

Hi,

It is very hard to go and try to get new clients. Around here, there are too many appraisers and not enough business.

All of the mortgage brokers seem to have "their person who works with them".

A few years ago I went knocking on doors and handed out my cards and a flyer that I made up. I said that I would get the report to them in 24 hours (if I received payment at the door). I even once gave out a flyer that said someting like pay for one appraisal and get one for free, new clients only. Nobody called.

A few weeks ago I went to an open house of a mortgage broker. They specifically told me that they want accurate reports. I said that that s the only kind that I do.
Of course, I never heard from them.

Chances are, you will not get past the reception desk. Try to speak to a broker.

Keep in mind that you must collect the fee upfront from the home owner. The brokers will never pay you.

I am still waiting for payment of a job I did 30 days ago for a broker that I have done previous business with. After I get paid, its back top COD only.

Good luck

Old 11-08-2004, 04:34 PM

State: Missouri

Allison,

I would make a phone call first and ask to speak to the branch manager. Tell them who you are, what services you offer and ask them if you could set up a meeting(give them a specific date and time) with them to further discuss things. Ask if after your meeting if you could meet some of the loan officers. Bring plenty of business cards and company info to hand out. From my experience 99 out of 100 you visit probably will never respond back, so don't be discouraged. If you can get a 1-2% return rate your doing good.

Good Luck
Old 11-11-2004, 03:09 PM

State: North Carolina

My advice: Don't waste your time, effort, and marketing materials on mortgage brokers. All they really want are inflated values, if you can't provide them, it doesn't matter what your quality/speed/or price are. Go after credit unions instead, they seem to be more conservative and accept realistic values. JMO
Old 11-22-2004, 07:44 PM
Alisa Ottaviano

Allison,

How about an update? Please let us know how you made out and what worked
and what didn't. I've been thinking about cold calling myself.

Thanks!
Alisa
Old 11-22-2004, 09:23 PM

State: Colorado

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard that it takes a prospective client 3-7 exposures to your name and face to remember you.

A consistent marketing approach bi-weekly or monthly will get you business over time. In addition to stopping by and introducing yourself, consider sending something to your prospect bi-weekly or monthly. Things that are useful will make a greater impression and last longer. I have had success with monthly newsletters that include a coupon. I have also had success sending imprinted notepads monthly.

The key is consistency. Just do something and do it often! Eventually your competition will slip up, and you'll be next in line.

Good luck!
Old 11-23-2004, 06:46 AM

State: Tennessee

Doug is right. Credit Unions are the best to work for, at least the ones I've worked for. They typically service their own loans and dont sell on the secondary market. They want true, not inflated values and have very rarely ever tried to push a value with me.
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread