Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > General Appraisal Discussion
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 08:56 AM

State: Florida
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Got a call from PainintherearLending. Can you do an appraisal in BigCitySuburb by tomorrow late?

Er, No, we're full up for this week, booking for next Monday. Why, are they closing on Friday or something?

No, but all the other appraisers have plenty of time and are not busy.

Well, call them instead. Merry Christmas.

I guess we're an exception instead of the norm. Oh, well, the bills get paid on time, and other appraisers setting by the phone is not my problem.

Things are also looking up for next year. Got "please sign up" requests from two major new clients this week, so actually may expand the business.

So, for those who are slow, it's not everyone, and it will improve. Hang in there.
Sponsored Links

Old 12-21-2004, 09:09 AM

State: Wisconsin
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

Things are staying steady here also. Last week we we had a large number of appraisals come in and had to trun down six orders.

Now the snow has hit and the back roads are a bit slick. That will slow down the city boys and girls from coming out to the boondocks doing work.

About the time they will need to ski or snow shoe into a subject as I did several times last winter that will put a slow down on the 24 hour times.

Once in a while will load up the old snowmobile and take it along. Some of those farm roads and driveways never get plowed out till spring. The bad ones are the people from the big cities who want their summer homes appraised. Never give a thought to the how the appraiser is going to get to the subject with a foot to four foot of snow on the ground.

Would you charge more for this service?
Old 12-21-2004, 09:14 AM

State: Missouri
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Things typically slow down right around the holiday. I've noticed not nearly as much phone traffic this week or last week. That's a good thing; now maybe I can get some of my back log caught up so I'l be ready to start that new job first of January. I'm taking a vacation the week after Christmas - no work until after New Year's - just having fun with family. B)
Old 12-21-2004, 09:22 AM

State: New Mexico
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

Roger - you should have told them that you that all of the "other loan officers and assistants are jumping off the roof of twenty story buildings". :rofl: :rofl:

Steady here also but I'm like Steve - leaving town on the 29th and not back till the 5th.

FWIW Roger, I got a call from a real estate agent who was about to sink in some swamp land out here in the desert. Needed a real rush job. I said she was lucky that I had a cancellation and could fit in the job but she had to understand there was a rush fee attached to the order. HUH? WHAT? No Habla English!!!!!!!!!! I said I could sneak it in but the rush charge was on top and I needed the order faxed by yesterday afternoon. My fax sure looks empty~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Go figure.

Merry Christmas All - make it safe.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:20 AM

State: Georgia

Slower than usual, but still busy enough to keep the appraisers who are not taking vacation during the holidays busy enough.

I just finished my last report until after Christmas. I am taking a few days off and gladly leaving town to have some time with my family.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Years to all!!!!

-ed-
Old 12-21-2004, 11:29 AM

State: Oregon

I was hoping to squeeze a little vacation out of the period from 12/25/04 to 1/2/05, but won't be happening, at least not without a couple of days of work.

November and December have been my strongest months in monetary terms this year, and I averaged 25 appraisals per month in 2004.

I expect orders in the last ten days of the year to be slow in coming.

Holiday cheers to all.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:41 PM

State: Texas

They could have called me. :cry:
Old 12-21-2004, 01:04 PM

State: Tennessee

Poor Tim!

To me, it seems that the week of Christmas till February is slow compared to the rest of the year! It's always that way with my ex-boss/sponser too. During the rest of the year, She works days, nights, weekends. She works more than I ever want to. Around this time of the year, she sometimes has no appraisals to go to though. People have their minds on the Holidays, shopping, cooking, parties and etc. Then, when the bills start coming in from the credit cards and things, they'll start looking into refinancing and stuff.

It's raining here and suppose to Snow tomorrow night!...and be below freezing for the rest of the week. :santa:

Yes Ray, if I could get extra $ for needing a snowmobile/skis to get to an appraisal appointment, I would take it! Why not? It's extra time and trouble for you. I'd ask for extra and they can say yes or no. Do other appraisers charge extra this time of year where you are??? Do you really do those things you wrote about? I'd like to see a picture...Makes me think of the postal employees here. They still work when everything else is shut down because of the weather. My dad just retired this year from the Post Office.
Old 12-21-2004, 02:40 PM

State: Michigan
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

It was gang busters leading up to Thanksgiving and then it was like someone cut the phone lines. I actually got sort of caught up. Then with 3 in the hopper to write, the orders started rolling in. I suspect that after the first of the year, things will get busy once more and we will have a busy spring. (Kind of hard to remember what Spring is when the temp is -16 like it was Sunday night and you get 9 inches of fresh snow like we did last night.)
Old 12-21-2004, 03:18 PM

State: North Carolina

I'm currently right where I want to be. Have 2 more assignments to review before the Christmas break (plan to take off Thursday and Friday and maybe Monday if it stays slow). Have one appt. lined up for next week and trying to set a second.

Just wondering when the last minute desperation call is going to come in. :lol: It's been a good month so far and I don't need any extra business, so I may have to turn down the inevitable RUSH order (will probably come in about 3:00 tomorrow afternoon: "Man can you help me out, I need this one back by Friday. And, oh by the way, could you do it for $300. My client told me to shop out the appraisal for the best deal.")

Uh No, I can't help you out. Sorry, appraisers have lives too. :rainfro:
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread