Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > General Appraisal Discussion
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 06:45 PM

State: California
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

I did an appraisal on a little studio house on a big lot. Old house but very nicely updated with good quality materials on the interior. The exterior had not been done yet (60 year old house) and had some deferred maintainance such as missing faschia, peeling paint and dirty siding and some roofing that had been completely finished. It also had a falling down storage building on the property in poor condition. I accounted for condition in the report and included 9 photos (6 exterior and 3 interior)

The guy who ordered called and told me I HAD TO remove selected photos. After telling him no 20 or 30 times, his boss gets on the phone and started giving me the business, telling me that I had enough photos and these were just uncessary and would make her job hard, delay funding for the poor borrower. I told her to have her funding source acknowledge viewing the photos and requesting they be removed and to send me this in writing. She told me it had not gone to the lender yet but since she's been in the business for a couple of hundred years she knew it would be a problem and that they were planning on doing a lot of business in my area and had hoped that they could continue doing business with me.

I told her to email or fax me her request in writing and why she wanted the photos removed. If she does, I think I might removed the selected photos and replace them with her written request. :lol:

Old 12-21-2004, 06:56 PM

State: Georgia
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Quote:
make her job hard, delay funding for the poor borrower.

Last edited by Mountain Man : 05-19-2006 at 09:50 AM.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:28 PM

State: Oregon

I'd tell 'em to pound sand.

elliott
Old 12-21-2004, 07:38 PM

State: Oregon
Professional Status: Retired Appraiser

[/quote]I told her to have her funding source acknowledge viewing the photos and requesting they be removed and to send me this in writing. [quote]

Greg, I love that response.

I can see deja vu happining all over again. I just received a request to go ahead and do a report for a MB. Man home on a couple acres just outside the city limits. Seems the guy repairs cars on the property, and he also stores some 75 extra parts cars on site. Read that he has his own junk yard. I put it on permanent hold after talking to the borrower last month, now they want me to go ahead and do it. I don't care what the guy has, it is my job to report what I see. But I'm very sure that I am going to get the same request that you got. If you don't mind I would like to borrow your quote.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:56 PM

State: Arkansas

Quote:
If she does, I think I might removed the selected photos and replace them with her written request.
or send them to the Mortgage regulators in your state.......along with a complaint.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:21 PM

State: Louisiana
Professional Status: Retired Appraiser

Any bets about whether they will delete the OFFENDING photo page and send it on to the lender.

If they do...you always got your office copy to prove what ........ they are.
Old 12-21-2004, 09:53 PM

State: Illinois

Strip all subject and comp photos out of the report, swap out the 1004 for a restricted use format making sure you change the USPAP identification to reflect the changes. :twisted:
Old 12-22-2004, 05:47 AM

State: Michigan
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

Quote:
Any bets about whether they will delete the OFFENDING photo page and send it on to the lender.

If they do...you always got your office copy to prove what ........ they are.
This is exactly why we included a Table of Contents in every report. They have to destroy not only the page they do not want but also the Table of Contents page. However, we also put the following reference in the report body, usually in the Conditions line: "See Table of Contents for list of all documents comprising this appraisal."

They take it out, they can explain why there is no referenced Table of Contents in the report.

or

Under Conditions of the Appraisal just say:

"At the specific request of the client, all photos of subject were removed from the report originally submitted."

Bet that would get an UW's attention fast.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:57 AM

State: Georgia

Dont forget (I doubt I have to remind you). Make sure all pages are numbered and the offending pics are not at the END of the report.

On stuff like that, I put comments in the addendum referring to multiple pics concerning the deferred maintenance.

-ed-
Old 12-22-2004, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Greg Boyd@Dec 21 2004, 07:45 PM
I accounted for condition in the report and included 9 photos (6 exterior and 3 interior)
I am amazed that the request didn't include a demand to change your description of condition or reference to the deferred maintenance too. From time to time it gets heated around here when MB's, LO's, AMC's etc. make efforts to convince me to re-mold my reports concerning houses that need work. I'm working on one now that may last another 6 years if it doesn't snow or the wind doesn't blow too hard. Bet it will create some interest when they read it, but I'm putting in the pics. Thanks posters for the advice about imbedding the pics, I'll change my templates right now.
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread