Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Marketing
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 12:19 AM

State: Massachusetts
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

Hi all,

I have just finished my classes and I will be taking my certified license shortly. I've been an apprasier for a few years and really enjoy it but I am concerned about the near future. Should I be having these concerns??

The company I currently work with primarily does business with mortgage companies, but I know there is other work out there for appraisers. I know business is in short supply right now but I am trying to figure out who other than mortgage companies might be good to contact.

Also is there another business that any of you work in addition to appraising, you know when times do get tough?
Sponsored Links

Old 12-29-2004, 01:13 AM

State: Arkansas
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Where you at? Where I am business is in long supply. I worked until 12 Xmas (about 6 hr. that day), full 10 hr day on Xmas Eve, Sunday until 2 am. Monday 1 am. THis is Tu. and it is 1 am. I am trying to wind down but was working until about 45 min ago.

However, I do have a small farm which acts to relax me more than make any additional money. I bale a few bales of hay, fix a little fence, ride herd over 20-40 head of stockers when I take a notion - I am out of cattle now. I would do other things if I had the time, and I would want to do something more physical and less mental, like build fence or take care of cattle, mow cemeteries, anything that is pretty mindless. Let the batteries recharge.

Mortgage work is drudgery, in house appraising is much better. You could do Bank evaluations under certain circumstances but that often is competing with yourself and in my state (a mandatory one), but my nephew does them and also does clean up work for the bank on properties that are repos. Light painting, cleaning, fixing, brushhogging farms, picking up trash...pretty good by the hour work and he has a real estate lic. as well as reg. appraiser . One bank rotates among the local RE Offices who bank with them for listings so he gets one every so often as a listing. It really is not so bad an income for a guy who is still going to college and owns a Video store to boot. Busy boy
Old 12-29-2004, 01:17 AM

State: California

Bill the question and concerns you have are very location specific so it is not possible to give you a good answer. Please, change your profile to indicate your location it will make answering future questions easier for all of us. Remember this forum has members from all over the United States, Australia and China.

Generally your concerns are well founded if you are in a large urban area where data is much more available than in small rural areas where even an MLS service is not available.

Add your location you may get more and better answers.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:24 PM

Location: Lucy's New and Improved Trailor Park, first, second and last months rent please.
State: Colorado
Professional Status: General Public

there is always lots of work through attorneys

good luck

Rich
Old 01-03-2005, 03:17 PM

Thank You for your comments.

I am starting to build a database of local mortgage companies and attorneys. I am hesitant to stop in on every bank branch, or should I. I am under the impression that most banks are required to go through there corporate headquarters. Therefore should I try to go directly to Bank headquarters? In addition, I have an idea about what to approach lawyers about, but what exactly should I be telling them I can do for them. Yes, foreclosure and divorces are obvious but are there any other suggestions for attorney work.
All ideas would be helpful
Thanks Again
Old 01-07-2005, 01:04 PM

State: Illinois

When just starting its tough. I stayed split fee and worked full fee for a period of time. As far as getting business, look to friends and family who are in real estate and don't be afraid to ask. I say that as I am on the shy side, but you have to ask. Loan officer, realtor, title company, other bankers, ask those friends and family members.

I got my first full fee client because my wifes uncle was an underwriter. He passed my name to a loan officer. She used me for a while, then referred me to another loan officer. My business grew through one branch office. Later the office split up, some of the lo's stayed in contact with me and I also continued to get a referral here and there.

I've so far never made one client stick who I contacted over the phone or with a letter. I've gotten a few orders, but only found crappy clients that way.

I've been on my own for 6 years now, and for the first time I'm going to hit up my existing clients for more business/referrals and try to expand a little bit. I'm not sure I'll even try to send letters or make phone calls, maybe only as a last resort. The first thing to try for is the personal referral.

Good luck,
Old 01-07-2005, 06:13 PM

Thank You Very Much for your time josephdifranco
Old 01-15-2005, 01:11 AM

State: California

Check out local real estate investment clubs, but make sure you stop at every mortgage company in town and introduce yourself and hand out cards. Customer service is #1.

Bryan
Old 01-28-2005, 05:48 PM

As a former banker I can tell you that visiting the client and introducing yourself will help your efforts. You need to distinguish yourself fromt the other appraisers with a USP. Unique Selling Proposition - essentially you're client wants to know what benefits they will receive by using you over the competition. "Whats in it for the client"

Fed Ex USP: "When it absolutely, positively, has to be there overnight"

Don't just use something that everyone can claim, fastest, cheapest, etc...Get creative. For me as a former banker thats my hook. I know the pain they go through you need to fix their pain.
Then use you're USP on every piece of your marketing material...business cards, yellow pages, website, stationary etc...

I would suggest that you never ever try to compete on fee. Leave those clients for the competition.

Good Luck

Old 03-14-2005, 08:01 PM

Has anyone tried to flip a refinance sales call around on them? I just tried this and I'm not sure how the results are going to turn out....The LO is supposed to call tomorrow. Any inputs on this method.....I just hate those sales calls anyway but if I can use them for my benifit I may just start answering all of them!!!
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread