Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Marketing
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 12:14 AM

State: Washington
Professional Status: Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.

Ok my marketing skills suck. So a friend of mine's wife is outa work has been for sometime. He and she have said the she would be willing to go out an market my business for me. We really haven't fully discussed pay. Although 10% of new business has been tossed around. I have been thinking about it but think there are some pitfalls. For one I don't wan't to continue to pay her 10% forever. I am thinking about limiting the time to say no more than 1-3 years. I don't think I should have to pay her as an employee since basically I will be letting her go out and market as she sees fit. I am thinking of paying some mileage but wonder about that as well as to how I could write that off on my taxes.

So has anyone consider hiring someone to market their business? Although I would have to tell her about the business and some of the do's and don'ts to what I can and can not do. Anyone ever hire a marketer and did they bring in additional work?
Sponsored Links

Old 02-14-2005, 07:24 AM

State: North Carolina
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

I wish you luck. I gave a lot of consideration to it at one point. I had the same questions you do: How much do I pay? How can I compete with other companies offering sales/marketing positions? Should I do salary (if I want to venture into a whole new set of "employee" problems), pay some expenses, commission with minimal base to start, how long before I should expect some return from this person before I consider terminating the arrangement?

I talked a person into working for me part-time once. She didn't need the work, but I thought she had the skills and abilities to help me out, even part-time, since she was already doing something similar (working as a temp recruiter in a sales/marketing capacity). Unfortunately, it didn't work out. As I said, she didn't need the work, she just wanted some extra income. As a result of not needing the position, she wouldn't (or couldn't because of her other job responsibilities) devote the necessary time to it.

You need to talk to someone who has a large operation in a big city. The offices bringing in a couple hundred assignments a month are the ones you need to talk to, because some of those companies do employ a sales/marketer. Appraising is like any other business, someone in the business needs to be performing sales/marketing consistently to keep the work coming in.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:57 PM

State: California
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

have you thought about Le Tip? look into it. or email me.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:24 PM

I've invited a manager of one of our mortgage broker offices to a realtor meeting they have once a week (100 or so realtors & various vendors are there). $3 or $5 bucks for a light breakfast & coffee. I think I'll be building a relationship with him in the process, and will introduce him to friends / contacts. He's never gone to a meeting like this before. I'm looking for other networking meetings to take my other local clients to...
Old 02-22-2005, 10:06 PM

State: New Hampshire

Quote:
So a friend of mine's wife is outa work
Never mix business with friends!!

Even when it looks like a great idea. Think about it for as long as you need to then repeat these words....NEVER NEVER NEVER mix business with friends!!!
Old 02-24-2005, 10:27 AM

State: Washington
Professional Status: Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.

Thanks for the replies.

Ron,

Just joined a start up referal group. Seeing how this will do for me. The last two meetings showed me how bad I am at marketing. They ask you to give between a 1-2 minute "commercial" on your business. Really has shown me how bad I am at marketing. So hopefully if nothing else comes out of this I will be more confident in front of people with marketing my business.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:36 AM

Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

Ryan,

been there (in terms of "selling myself" and hating it)....actually I still am there. ha ha. It gets easier as time progresses. Just keep telling them the best way to tip you is the give your card to any loan officers they may know.

I got some VERY good clients from my groups ( I have been in 2 different ones in the past 5 years). my best client (1 - 4 deals a week) resulted from Le Tip.

Hang in there.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:20 PM

I think your best marketing tool is YOURSELF! Hiring a Rep can help you get your foot in the door and can bring in clients and orders, however, when the LO's or whoever your market is actually meets you and finds out you're personable, that seems to be the ticket. They want to be able to put a face to a name and personalizing is the best way. Also, make sure someone is in your office to always answer the phone OR always return phone calls promptly!
Old 04-21-2005, 12:26 PM

Great advice Kimberly! I personally try to avoid appraisers that never answer their phone, and never return my calls.. Thats almost as bad as a receptionist that doesnt know anything, and only takes my message (which is never returned).
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread