Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Marketing
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 07:56 PM

Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

Met a real estate appraiser recentlywho informed me that he'd had remarkable success in getting his business off the ground by offering a buy an appraisal get an appraisal free offer to new clients who were willing to try him out. I was considering something like this myself, but thought I'd throw the idea out here for some feedback first.

Let me know what you think!
Sponsored Links

Old 03-02-2005, 08:14 PM

State: Illinois

I've never known anyone who tried it. It makes some sense in that you'll get at least two appraisals from someone who takes you up on it, and that'll give you a chance to show what you can do. On the other hand, it might project to your prospect a perception of the value of your work you don't intend. If you try it, let us know how it goes?
Old 03-03-2005, 03:49 PM

I"m really surprised that no one has an opinion on this. Speak Up
Old 03-03-2005, 04:14 PM

State: Washington
Professional Status: Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.

It has to be a business decission on your part. Perhaps as a start some may take you up on it and would give you an oppurtunity to feel them out as potential clients. Then again some may ask why you don't do them all like that.
Old 03-04-2005, 02:55 PM

I guess getting dialogue started up on this subject was a flop. No one has an opinion on this???
Old 03-04-2005, 04:12 PM

OK Lonny,

Here goes. If you are doing a generic broad marketing it might work. You also may be doing a bunch for free. Not too many that I deal with are too price sensitive, especially if it is COD w/ H/O paying anyway.

I prefer to find out what a couple of potential targets are into and maybe go a freebie route in that direction.

Hint, hint Bulls tickets are hot again. Invite him/her with you and you can bend their ear, pre- game, halftime and post game. 1 Hour presentation for $ 50 not bad.

Do that 3 -4 times and for $ 150-200 pick up a good client. Now that's cost efficient and tax deductable. :rainfro:
Old 03-04-2005, 04:38 PM

I brought this up for two reasons. I wanted to see if anyone spoke up with any USPAP issues. I couldn't see any problems, but you never know. Two, I wanted to get insight on the effectiveness on this. So far, one person said it worked like a charm & he's the only guy I know who's tried it. Guess, I'll just have to figure it out the old fashion way and try it.
Old 03-04-2005, 06:05 PM

Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

I've been doing something similar, so success yet. I've been introducing myself to lenders with a box of doughnuts and a descriptive letter. In the letter I offer the first appraisal free. I'm just starting, I'll let you know if I get anything.

No problem with uspap, just a business decision.
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread