Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Appraisal Education
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 02:22 PM

Hello,

I've been a part-time student for years and am finally nearing my goal of receiving a BA degree. At this point, I have enough credits that could generally be used for any degree plan that is available. I was wondering, are there any colleges or universities in Illinois that offer a 4-year degree in real estate? Does anyone know?

Generally, the schools that I know have just the usual certifications in real estate but not an actual bachelors degree. I'm also aware of Northwestern's masters program in real estate but they don't offer a bachelors degree in real estate. Other schools only offer real estate as a part of another program (i.e.: risk management, or finance).

Anybody know of anything else in IL?

Thanks for your help.

Kind regards,
Ty
Sponsored Links

Old 03-07-2005, 06:27 PM

State: Ohio
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

Hello Ty,

Congratulations on all your hard work and finally getting close. I went both part time and full time and I think it was harder when I went part time.

I donít have the answer to your question but check out the business and architecture schools at the larger universities. They may be able to offer you a smaller program that fits, but may be named something that you would not think to search for. My degree in Real Estate and Urban Analysis was a small offshoot of the Finance school at the Ohio State University, but it was small enough, and the school was big enough, that the general counselors may not have even been aware of it.

Another possible avenue is to check with the grad schools in social services or public policy; they may be familiar with such programs across the state.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:45 PM

State: California

can't really help you. ii satisfiied the requirements for a bs degree in accounting and also in finance with a real estate option. chose to put accounting on the degree because at the time (mid/late 1970s it was very marketable). ended up going into real estate. oh well.
Old 03-07-2005, 07:10 PM

State: Illinois
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

DePaul
Old 03-24-2005, 01:06 PM

All,

Thanks for your advice. I apologize for the delay in responding.

I contacted DePaul University and have had one meeting with an advisor. Thanks to PL Norusis for this recommendation. I've met with the School of New Learning and have another appointment scheduled with the School of Commerce. Your recommendation was the reason I was able to find these two programs!

Regards,
Ty
Old 03-24-2005, 01:47 PM

State: Pennsylvania

School of Real Estate
Walter E. Heller College of Business Administration

Chicago is known for its world-class architecture, which includes historic landmarks as well as contemporary developments. The city needs a School of Real Estate to prepare the next generation of architects, city planners and developers to continue a tradition that echoes Daniel Burnham's goal, in which Chicago "makes no little plans".
Mayor Richard M. Daley

The Chicago School of Real Estate is the newest school within the College of Business Administration. The Chicago School of Real Estateís mission is to raise the quality bar within the real estate profession. Our aim is to create career opportunities and enhance the resource base for the industry through a diversified program that attracts the best and the brightest of individuals to the school.

The School offers two academic programs. The first is a Masters of Business Administration degree with a concentration in Real Estate. For those who already possess a Masters degree in a related field there is our Certificate in Commercial Real Estate Development. For fall, 2005, we are planning another degree in addition to the MBA / Real Estate Concentration, a Masters in Real Estate Development and Planning. This degree will allow us to offer more specialized classes and an inter-disciplinary approach combining urban economics with "hands-on" real estate. For more information, click on "From the Directorís Desk."
Old 03-25-2005, 12:42 PM

TC,

Thanks for your post, I will definitely do some research into Roosevelt. I do have one question: Are these programs all Masters level? I don't have my 4-year degree yet so this wouldn't appeal to me if they are graduate programs. Please advise.

Thanks,
Ty
Old 05-03-2005, 11:55 PM

State: Illinois

From what I've researched, there isn't much in Illinois for the bachelor's level. I know that UIC has a master's as well as Roosevelt.

Have you considered going to University of Wisconsin in Madison? It appears they have a strong undergraduate as well as graduate program. Don't know if you're willing to go up there though...
Old 05-04-2005, 12:16 AM

State: Texas

There is a four year real estate degree online through Marylhurst University that I found at the Appraisal Institute website awhile back. Here is the link

http://www.marylhurst.edu/attend/undergrad...estate%20degree
Old 05-04-2005, 09:07 AM

All,

Thanks for the advice on this subject as it has greatly helped in my research and decision.

I have decided to pursue my BA through DePaul University's School of New Learning. Both Roosevelt and Northwestern have graduate classes in real estate so I could not pursue those avenues at this time.

Regards,
Ty
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread