Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Appraisal Education
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 02:51 PM

Hello All,

Perhaps someone could recommend a school (online or classroom) in the Miami area to take the required courses for Appraisal Trainee.

I was considering Gold Coast Schools, which has a schedule that works well.

I appreciate any recommendations. Also, perhaps vice versa, any schools that may be less than ideal.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links

Old 03-10-2005, 02:56 PM

State: New York
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Though not the cheapest, or most convenient, Appraisal Institute courses are the best (IMO). They are offered in various locations all over the country. Check the AI website, as well as your local chapter's web site.
Old 03-10-2005, 04:31 PM

State: Wisconsin
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

Here is to the Appraisal Institute. And I am not a member. They simply offer the best courses with the best instructors.
Old 03-10-2005, 05:02 PM

State: Florida

I assume you are in Miami, however, you might want to update your location to get better information.

Last time I checked, the classes to get your trainees license had to be taken in a live classroom. So I would forget searching for online classes.

Good Luck!
Old 03-10-2005, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jonahgouin@Mar 10 2005, 02:51 PM
Hello All,

Perhaps someone could recommend a school (online or classroom) in the Miami area to take the required courses for Appraisal Trainee.

I was considering Gold Coast Schools, which has a schedule that works well.

I appreciate any recommendations. Also, perhaps vice versa, any schools that may be less than ideal.

Thanks.
FYI - Just as Wendy says, under current Florida law and rules, online or distance learning appraisal education is not accepted for pre-licensing.

It's OK for Continuing Education.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:55 PM

State: New Jersey
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

As others have said check the Appraisal Institute or the IFA web sites. The Appraisal Institute is the Cadillac of appraiser education providers and the IFA also does a good job. As a bonus you will make contacts with other appraisers in your area which may be very valuable to you in the future.
Old 03-11-2005, 07:40 AM

Thanks for the input so far. I must say forums are great.

I was under the impression Appraisal Trainee Courses needed to be completed in the classroom for Florida; however, received conflicting information when one Real Estate school told me that Appraisal Trainee courses could be done online or in the classroom. Go figure.

As Wendy suggested clarifying, yes I am seeking a school in Miami. As everyone seems to agree upon, the Appraisal Institute is the clear favorite. My only issue is their first course, Real Estate Principles, is not scheduled till June in Miami. I am looking to start before then. Any recommendations for a second choice, after the Appraisal Institute, for schools in Miami?
Old 03-11-2005, 09:28 AM

There is no second choice....AI has my vote.

I have experience with the school you are thinking of and WOULD NOT recommend them.

Its only 3 months until June...be patient! It will be worth it!

In the mean time, try and get interviews with mentors.....all the school in the world will NOT do you any good if you can't find a mentor to work with.

My .02 cents

TB
Old 03-29-2005, 11:22 AM

State: North Carolina

Hopefully you have an "in" in the industry before you go taking classes. If you talk to other trainees, you will find many of them are taking classes but then having great difficulty finding a mentor to get their 2 years of experience with. Even before you do that, I would recommend that you do some research on your area to find out what the outlook is for appraisers there. Many parts of the country already have an over-supply of appraisers. If that is the case in your area, chances are you will not find an experienced appraiser who is willing to spend 2+ years training you. Just give it some serious consideration before you jump into this industry, it might save you a lot of wasted time and money.
Old 03-29-2005, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Smith@Mar 10 2005, 04:31 PM
Here is to the Appraisal Institute. And I am not a member. They simply offer the best courses with the best instructors.
Hi folks,

Potential trainee here. Yes yet another in Southern Cali /OC.
Please hold the doom and gloom to a minimum :-)
I have read all those posts, Moh's especially, as a matter of fact I have been reading this forum for about three days straight.

AI is of course well known and resprected. Any comments on Anthony school? They are more frequent an closer to home, but I'm thinking that may be a sign of a mill?

Also can you shed some light on "Country Wide Certified" appraisers.
What do they "require" to be up to their caliber?
(years of experience, their own course)

How many institutions have something like this?

Just the large ones or are there many?
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread