Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Appraisal Education
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 10:09 AM

I am about to take the N.Y. certified residential exam, can anyone offer advice of study materials or practice exams ect...?
Sponsored Links

Old 03-13-2005, 06:50 PM

State: Florida
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

I found a program you might be interested in taking a look at.

If you do a search type in QuizPrep for Real Estate Appraisers.

I have the test course downloaded on my computer and I believe the total cost was $39.00 dollars. They offer a few different courses so make sure to order the right one.

You can use the program for as long as you want to study for the test and I must say it's really very helpful and it also explains how to answer the questions if you get the wrong answer.

For some of the math problems it is very helpful if this is a problem area for you.

In my opinion it is well worth the $39.00 dollars that I paid for it.

Please let me know if you have a hard time finding the program.

Good Luck on the test. Jim Hill
Old 03-14-2005, 07:09 AM

State: Virginia

B) From Henry Harrisons 1001 Questions and answers, available through forms and worms or click on RV Magazine advertisemnt on this forum. I doubt he has an on line version.
Old 03-14-2005, 03:38 PM

State: Missouri

Try the book "Questions and anwers to help you pass the real estate appraisal exams" by fisher and tosh. If you can score above an 80% on these prep exams you'll do fine.

Matt
Old 03-14-2005, 07:50 PM

State: Wisconsin
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

A friend of mine is in the business of state exams and test preps. A couple of bits of advice he gave me when we were discussing this (It specifically applies to the internet where there are many rip-off quiz preps in all fields):

1. Find out who wrote questions. This should be readily available at the home page or by clicking an obvious link. Licensing exam companies pay 300-500 dollars for each question on the test you will be taking. Good quiz prep companies will also be willing to pay a qualified author good money to write their questions. Bad companies will get someone to do them on the cheap, and they may not be up to date, representative, or even accurate. That goes hand in hand with the recommended books above. Both are written by well regarded people who are knowledgeable.

2. Find out who the company is. This also should be readily availble and there should be a good explanation of who the people you are paying are. Are they a one-off company that decided to make a few bucks doing quiz preps, or are they an established company that was doing this before the internet made this type of thing so quick and easy? Stick with an established company.

One personal note, no matter which companies and books you go with, pay less attention to their USPAP info. With as many changes as have been taking place, it is much better to read the current version yourself and maybe make your own study guide for areas you need a little assistance in. You will more than likely have a couple of USPAP questions that will be regarding recently changed items to make sure you are up to date. The bonus is, if you get into an argument with someone, and they tell you to read USPAP, you can say that you just did.

Good luck. For me, the Cert. Res was the hardest of the three because I didn't spend the appropriate amount of time studying for it. I was really sweating when that result came back. (I was nervous for the CG exam, but not like I was waiting for the CR results to come back) Study, study, study.

Good luck
Old 03-28-2005, 01:01 PM

State: Guam

I took my Certified test two months ago. I think the company that proctors it was Promissor.

My opinion, the test is too easy. Very little math. I bought a study CD off Evil bay and without studying, I was getting over 70% correct. I was conerned that it wasn't challenging enough so I purchased an additional study manual from a realtor/appraiser training school. Much better. Total investment $43.

As previously stated, very few questions on USPAP and only a few basic math questions. No complex cash flow analysis or capital rate computations.

I would be interested to see what happens to the test after 2008 with the revision proposed by the ASB.

Sarah
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread