Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Appraisal Education
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 08:34 AM

I have to take the USPAP test within the next week. Does anyone remember what kind of questions come up the most. The first time I took it, I think I studied to hard, and when it came to the test-nothing looked familiar. 90% of out class failed. Any recomendations on what to study the most? Thanks
Sponsored Links

Old 03-22-2005, 08:37 AM

I have to take the USPAP test within the next week. Does anyone remember what kind of questions come up the most. The first time I took it, I think I studied to hard, and when it came to the test-nothing looked familiar. 90% of out class failed. Any recomendations on what to study the most? Thanks
Old 03-22-2005, 08:57 AM

State: California
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

Maybe Mike Garrett will post his course outline for us.
Old 03-22-2005, 09:03 AM

State: Virginia

B) My advice would be to contact your instructor and ask him/her. I would also suggest you read the definitions, history of the standards, and make sure you have a good grasp of Stds 1,2 & 3. Also, study the Statements, as well as the standard rules such as ethics, competency, departure, jurisdictional exception, and supplemental standards rule. That will keep you busy about all week.
Old 03-22-2005, 09:10 AM

Its not unusual that most people fail the USPAP test. When they did the national testing a few years back, it was about a 60% failure rate and many of these people were already teaching it.

Major points of USPAP to understand:
1) extraordinary assumptions, hypothetical conditions, limiting conditions.
2) what is a departure (Rule 1-3, 1-4, 2-5)?
3) USPAP was not written primarily to protect the appraiser, but to increase public confidence in our industry
4) understand the Scope of Work
5) study the differences between limited verse a complete report (invoking departures)
6) understand the 3 report types (rule 2-2) the summary format is probably what you use most of the time
7) record keeping provisions (5 years after assignment - 2 years after legal proceeding)
8) ethics and competency rules

I came up with these in a couple moments thoughts - I did not look them up. But I'm pretty sure they are accurate.

I hope this helps
Old 03-22-2005, 09:22 AM

State: Louisiana

USPAP=click here.
Old 03-22-2005, 09:38 AM

USPAP=Click Here (I dont get it. Clicked and ended up on some Spanich website.)
Old 03-22-2005, 10:34 AM

State: Mississippi
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick Urbancic@Mar 22 2005, 10:10 AM
Major points of USPAP to understand:
1) extraordinary assumptions, hypothetical conditions, limiting conditions.
2) what is a departure (Rule 1-3, 1-4, 2-5)?
3) USPAP was not written primarily to protect the appraiser, but to increase public confidence in our industry
4) understand the Scope of Work
5) study the differences between limited verse a complete report (invoking departures)
6) understand the 3 report types (rule 2-2) the summary format is probably what you use most of the time
7) record keeping provisions (5 years after assignment - 2 years after legal proceeding)
8) ethics and competency rules
Ditto! I would add that he needs to be clear on the difference between "BINDING" & "SPECIFIC" requirements. Though its been 13 years for me, I clearly recall several questions that required knowing the difference and being able to identify which requirements were binding or specific.

Also, he should read the "AO"'s, (advisory opinions) and SMT's (statements on appraisal standards). They can help provide some context through examples and added comment. In my opinion, it makes remembering a bit easier.

I'm a little confused over your #5.... "limited verse" and "complete report"? That particular verbage may be in use locally where you are, but for the test, he'll need to restrict himself to the official version. For real property appraisal, the "DEPARTURE" provision is aimed at Standard 1. The terms "LIMITED" and "COMPLETE" are used to identify the type of appraisal analysis process that was applied by the appraiser. From a definition standpoint, USPAP only has four classifications for a REPORT and they are: SELF-CONTAINED, SUMMARY, RESTRICTED, and ORAL. Also, with respect to DEPARTURE, he needs to fully understand the difference between "APPLICABLE" and "NECESSARY".

From my perspective, after a couple of dozen trainees having come and gone, "DEPARTURE" and the contextual issues surrounding it, was the area that gave the most trouble for trainees.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:39 AM

State: New Mexico

Follow the link at the bottom of my post and it should take you to USPAP as well.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:07 AM

State: Louisiana

Quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Braun@Mar 22 2005, 09:38 AM
USPAP=Click Here (I dont get it. Clicked and ended up on some Spanich website.)
Esperanto is a made up language that is supposedly easy to learn and understand. Users hope that it will be adopted as a worldwide language.

Quote:
Since then, Esperanto has been in use (and freely evolving) just like any other language.
Look familiar? It's been about as successfull as USPAP in these regards.

Closed Thread