Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Appraisal Education
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 09:24 PM

State: Louisiana
Professional Status: Retired Appraiser

Do any of you instructors ever teach CEU courses for RE Agents/Brokers? If so what have been your experiences (good/bad).

I'm thinking about developing a couple of course along this line, obviously with an appraisal twist to them. Ohio has tons of RE Agents as compared to appraisers. Just thinking this is an unlimited market for some new courses. I'm sure they are like appriasers and are tired of the same old classes coming around every couple of years.

I've got 4-5 ideas for courses (about 3 hrs each). In our area it seems REA's prefer 3 hour courses over all day courses. If you want to share ideas, I'll be glad to do it on email or PM.
Sponsored Links

Old 03-24-2005, 08:50 AM

State: Ohio
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

TE-The new agents are required to take a basic appraisal course (16 hrs.) so you might be beating a dead horse. I teach this occasionally and the only thing they want to know is "What's on the state test" B)
Old 03-24-2005, 05:28 PM

Thomas,

The courses I'm thinking of developing are fairly generic, light on the appriasal side, nice to know type stuff type classes. It would help to meet their annnual requirement and be something different....no I will not strip or anthing. I suspect the word appraisal will not be in the title of the course.

In OH once you develop a course and get it approved with the state, you can teach it anywhere in the state.

We have approximately 100,000 Real Estate Agents and Brokers in OH. Each one has to turn in a total of 30 CEU hours every 3 years. That is 3,000,000 student hours every 3 years or 1,000,000 a year. Appraisers are approximately 42,000 student CEU hours per year.

I also teach the REAgent basic appraisal course (it is 20 hrs here). They need it to fill their squares...that is all. Like you said, what is on the test.
Old 03-27-2005, 05:44 PM

State: Colorado
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

Check with your state REALTORŪ organization. They could tell you if courses are needed and what is involved in getting them to sponsor them. I once taught appraisal for The Colorado Association of REALTORS. There were opportunities to present the class all over the state, usually sponsored by the local Board of REALTORSŪ. While instructing can be fun, I found it to be too time consuming for the amount of money made. I can usually make more doing an appraisal then teaching a 3 hour course.

Think I will limit my instructing to the 7 and 15 hour USPAP courses. My school just hired another appraisal instructor for the registered appraisers course at half my teaching rate. I can't really blame them...the courses have to be profitable for them to do. When I first started teaching that class we had 25 to 35 students, now they are lucky to have 14 to 16. In addition, they went from 3 hours a night, 3 nights a week to four hours an night, four nights per week. That is just too much for me when appraising full time too.

I am still doing 20 to 25 residential appraisals a month working totally by myself. Add 64 hours of teaching on top of that and I am totally worn out. The latest thing the school is trying to do is a two week...8 hours a day appraisal class. More money more faster....not my idea of a good way to learn this business. Guess if you are not making any money as an appraiser you can teach it :rainfro:

Was contacted by one of the national appraisal schools about teaching USPAP. They want an instructor to go out for 7 to 10 days at a time and want to pay $35 an hour for class room time only. No thank you! As I said, I can make more doing one appraisal (about 4 hours) then standing on my feet for 7 hours in front of a less than friendly audience.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:57 AM

Thanks for your thoughts Mike and many of them I agree with.

I really disagree with that 2 week 8 hour a day class. Too much - too fast. In NE Ohio about 50 new appraisers are licensed each year. I don't know how many trainees there are. But, that is not much of a market for classes. I did develop (and taught once) a 45 hour class, that was spread over 7 weeks. Class visisted 6 properties + comps and had to do 6 appraisals as part of the class. The school has tried to market the class several more times, but not enough students to make it worthwhile.

On the road for 7 days and they only pay $35 a class room hour...No expenses??? Wow, that is lousy. After your travel, meals, lodging you would be in the hole.

Once I get a course approved with the state, I can teach it anywhere in the state. So, I was sort of thinking of setting up my own training deal where I could get 100% (less expenses) of the fees paid. I would like to teach only 4-5
days a month...unless I could make it very profitable.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:12 AM

State: Colorado

I am sorry, they do pay expenses but it is my understanding the appraiser has to "front" them and then get reimbursed.

Good luck with your new courses. Teaching can be rewarding in more ways than financial. Once upon a time I really enjoyed the experience and traveled a number of states instructing a 40 hour real estate agent training course. I was much younger then....at 63, I just don't have the patience or stamina I used to have.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:31 AM

State: Oregon

TE,

Go to this thread.

I teach 2 hour classes.

http://appraisersforum.com/forum/ind...howtopic=26019

If want an actual sample of written materials, I will be happy to send it to you. Just email or PM me with your email address.

That goes for anyone else.
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread