Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Appraisal Education
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 10:54 AM

State: North Carolina
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

I read an article recently (I think it was in the REV magazine) about C.E.. It talked of how really useless continuing ed classes are. Most appraisers tend to take classes locally, but very few companies are willing to take their courses to the appraisers. End result is that we get stuck taking rehashed Uspap classes every year (which, as was pointed out in the article, is also a waste of time & money because Uspap shouldn't have to be modified every year).

I have an interest in taking one class in another city right now, but it is estimated to be a 2.25 hour trip in travel time each way (for 7 hours of CE credit). An overnight stay is almost a necessity in this instance, so we are talking about losing at least a day and a half of work, plus $15 in gas, plus $90+ for a room, throw in 3-4 meals and getting one CE class is costing the appraiser $250+ - and that does not even count the opportunity cost of producing no income during that time. Wow, now that I think of it, I never want to take another out of town CE class again!

As always, I will wait to the last minute and take classes within a 30 minute drive. I'll probably be stuck with the same old instructor who wasn't so interesting in the other courses I have taken from the same company over the years. Maybe I'll take another online class; at least online classes don't cost you meals and travel expenses.
Sponsored Links

Old 03-29-2005, 11:24 AM

State: Florida

We're fortunate that we found a provider willing to travel to us! He was knowledgable, informative, entertaining and paid for lunch!

The class not only provided a chance to meet other area appraisers but the instructor encouraged interaction throughout the course which made for a more postive learning experience (in my opinion).

All of that, and I was able to meet two fellow forumites! Tina B. from Sebring and Mike S. from Tampa.

Sure the heck beat taking CE online. I'm in front of this dang computer too much already!

Oh, yeah! And the superhumanappraisercourseproviding instructor??

The Forum's own Dennis Black! Take a bow, Dennis. You're good. (But you know that already!)
Old 03-29-2005, 11:57 AM

Doug;

After 20+ yrs. of continuing ed, I've come to the conclusion CE is nothing more than a form of legalized extortion by the state and another indirect form of taxation on business due to the expense and lost productivity.

Most courses in ME were put on by the Center of Real Estate Education which is an extension of the state university system, so the fees go into their coffer. Plus it gives the PhD., who is dept. head something to do with her time. I called them once for individual rate of county appreciation data once, and was told they didn't even subscribe to the statewide MLS. (freakin' public servant idiots...still can't figure out what that PhD. does year in and year out...)

However, I've been in the system so long, all the coursework has become redundant. USPAP 8x...(which makes me BS). When I've complained, I gotten the line-taking a course twice sharpens the skills...and lowers the bottom line.

NY state tried to pull the CE crap with the legal profession. Fortunately for them, one individual stepped and filed suit. End of story. State control freaks backed off.

Should be a sliding scale. After 10/15 yrs. experience in biz, 28 hrs. per 2 years should be reduced to 14 or less.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:17 PM

State: New Hampshire

I think we should get CE credit for the time we are on the Forum.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:23 PM

State: New Hampshire

I am a classroom junkie. Lately, I have been disappointed in the classes I have taken.

Most of my gripe is that the class gets off topic way to often. You know the discussions on the forum that resurface all the time??? "What's a recert, are comp checks OK, ext." :asleep: I understand that not all appraisers spend as much time as some of us do on the forum learning, but the amount of class time waisted on these discussions (That are completely irrelevant to the class material) is infuriating.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:43 PM

State: North Carolina

Quote:
Most of my gripe is that the class gets off topic way to often.
I've seen that happen and I believe the instructor encourages it to pass the time. I took a class on land appraisal a few years ago, wanted to learn what traps to avoid and wanted to learn more about appraising large tracts of land. Class mentioned a few pitfalls, but really gave little attention to actually help an appraiser who wanted to learn more about doing tract appraisals.

But, who cares right? I fulfilled my required hours of appraisal CE requirement, State is happy, and instructor was happy because he got my $130. Maybe it is just another tax. CE regulation gives someone a job down at the state office and it keeps the CE instructors busy. Great for the economy right? Yeah right.

I honestly would like to take a few Appraisal Institute classes, but I can't justify flying out to Chicago or San Francisco to take classes. The closest local chapter is about 1.5-2 hours away, and their variety of course offerings are very limited. It's frustrating.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:47 PM

State: Virginia

B) Just to add a point or 2. I teach CE for a school run by a friend of mine out of Delaware as well as some that I do on my own. He and I have tried to offer classes that were inovative, new subject, fresh ideas. And.....no one would sign up, at least not enough to make it worthwhile. Same is true when I do courses in Virginia or North Carolina. Virginia does not require pre-approval of CE. They will accept courses as long as they meet basic requirements of the subject being related to real estate appraisal. The only exception of course is the 7 Hour USPAP update course. When I propose to teach a course in any other state I must qualify as an instructor, and in some cases pay a fee for that. I also must submit the course for approval, and pay a fee for that. And, if no one likes the sound of the subject, they will not sign up. By that time we have expoended hundreds of dollars for text, other material, obligated ourselves to a location, and prepaid for the meeting space. Many times we will not even break even. You say you want courses that are different but most folks tend to sign up for the same old worn out courses, year after year and will not sign up for a new subject or one that sounds too different from the norm. And, I am a working appraiser. I also give up the possibility of making more money by just staying at home. It really is not cost efficient to do CE courses unless you have a large organization behind you such as the AI, NAIFA, McKissock, or a national organization that has the ability to advertise on a wide basis, and often, in the case of appraisal organizations, write of some of the cost in the form of recruiting and advertising. Be that as it may be, I still do some courses in Virginia. I plan on doing some in early fall. And, have a pretty good schedule with my friends school. I do understand the desire for new subjects. But, your peers won't sign up for them.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:00 PM

State: Texas

CE serves a purpose. The required USPAP class is a reminder of appraisal rules that nobody else follows. :rainfro:

Seriously, this forum is very informative once you muddle through all the nonsense usually started by Kate.

Continuing education credits for reading the forum? Nah. Why do we always need to get credit for learning things? Some things I learn here have no true value.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:13 PM

State: Florida

I know this is off topic, but I'm so excited I gotta share it, bear with me!

Wally,

Dennis Black has re-scheduled the ABII class for April 8-10. This is the class that was delayed a month or so ago. I just got the notification yesterday and Jack is planning on attending!

Now we need to get on the stick and make motel reservations. :dance:

TB
Old 03-30-2005, 03:16 PM

State: Georgia

I have taken CE that the only good it did me was get my minimal credit hours to renew my license. I have also taken classes that are not approved specifically for CE in Florida, but that I wanted to take in hopes of becoming a better appraiser and those were the best ones--really made me learn something whether I really wanted to or not.

Closed Thread