Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Appraisal Education
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 01:48 PM

State: Virginia
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

Came to my attention today that I must now take the REALTOR ethics training to keep membership in the MLS. I gave up my real estate license, and am solely an appraiser now. The local MLS here however in order to have full MLS access requires appraisers to join as REALTOR members which they then say requires that I take the Ethics training.

They are encouraging me to take it online. I bet thats because they know that if I have to sit in a class with a bunch of dumb a__ Realtors that I will not be able to control myself and I'll have to tell them how stupid and unethical most of them are.

Anyway, has anyone else been hit with having to take this ethics class?

Just curious.

Liz S.
Sponsored Links

Old 03-29-2005, 02:04 PM

State: Florida
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

Geeze!

If its not bad enough that they jam us with NAR & FAR dues.....

This topic makes my blood boil :twisted:

TB

(In response to your question....no, they haven't pulled this one here....yet)
Old 03-29-2005, 02:15 PM

State: Wisconsin

It is a NAR requirement. I'm like you, no broker's license, just my appraisal certificate. Ya gotta do it to remain a Realtor. No way out!

Go on line and do it. It took me a couple of hours over the span of a couple of weeks to pass the test.

Last night I was reading REALTOR magazine and an article said NAR had near 100% participation in taking the course during 2004.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:25 PM

OH GREAT!

This just makes my day.......grrrrr nfire: nfire: nfire:

TB
Old 03-29-2005, 02:55 PM

Liz, Tina, Dave,

There is no way around the REALTORS Code of Ethics Training if you want to maintain membership. Although there is little in the training specifically pertaining to appraisal or appraisers, you are bound to pick up something worthwhile.

The NAR Appraisal Committee will be working with the Professional Standards Committee to make the Code and mandatory training more meaningful to specialty practitioners in the future.

When you are done with the training, take a look at this link:

http://www.realtor.org/rodesign.nsf/pages/...tr?OpenDocument

You are bound to find something of interest. Look around a bit an check this link out:

http://www.realtor.org/vlibrary.nsf/pages/...se?OpenDocument

Here, you will find a pile of information and links to material of interest. Some of it is password protected, but as a REALTOR, you have access. The number you need is on the mailing label of your REALTOR Magazine.

Happy Surfing!!

Frank
Old 03-29-2005, 02:59 PM

State: Illinois

For my board they sent me a CD-ROM to play on the computer and a sheet to sign and send back certifying that I watched the presentation. No cost no big deal.
Old 03-29-2005, 03:18 PM

State: Indiana

I already took the Ethics earlier this year, no cost.

Do hours count towards the CE we are required to get as appraisers?
Old 03-29-2005, 03:46 PM

State: North Carolina

I took the class (online) last year as required.

Hey, it gets worse in my maret. We have to pay $25 every month for a realtor appointment "service". This fee was forced on us about a year ago, it doubled the previous rate we were paying. It is mandatory for all Mls members. Appraisers have to take it, no negotiation.

Anyone making more money to make up for the higher fuel costs, increasing business expenses, and lower fees? I may have to become a realtor to help balance out what is happening to the appraisal business. At least I will start getting more use out of all the realtor fees I have to pay, plus many appraisal CE classes count for realtor CE too.
Old 03-29-2005, 03:48 PM

State: Wisconsin

Francois:

I have no problem what-so-ever with having to take an ethics course. My BIG gripe is that the test was geared TOTALLY to sales agents. That is simply wrong, coming from the largest trade association on the face of the earth.

Furthermore, NAR lost my test results and they claimed I had not taken the course.
It took weeks of back and forth with my printed copies of the test and test results before NAR would even acknowledge that I had taken the course and had passed the test. Thank God I printed out everything I did on line while taking the course and the test. Otherwise I would have really been P....d!!!

I became a Realtor in 1976 and was Board president in 1984 as well as Realtor of the year that same year. I am a Wisconsin RPAC life member and have served on almost every committee the Board has ever had. I was a Board mediator before NAR set up the formal mediation process.

I gave up my real estate sales license in 1985 in favor of the appraisal racket so most of the test questions were completely irrelevant.

NAR had to do better with the ethics test next time around if they expect be considered professionals. Shape up NAR!!!
Old 03-30-2005, 01:22 PM

State: Louisiana
Professional Status: Retired Appraiser

Quote:
the test was geared TOTALLY to sales agents. That is simply wrong, coming from the largest trade association on the face of the earth.
You direct the course to the problem area.

Quote:
We have to pay $25 every month for a realtor appointment "service".
What the heck is a 'realtor appointment service'?

I took the class online....and I am now a much better person. :rofl:

Would have liked to have seen part of the course talk about unethical practices such as 'trying to influence' appraisers opinions or threatening appraisers with being black listed, due to their value opinions.
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread