Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Appraisal Education
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 09:28 PM

State: Connecticut
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Anyone take the course yet? Is it out already?

Please comment.

Hal
Sponsored Links

Old 04-03-2005, 09:54 PM

State: Arkansas

Columbia Institute will offer in NW Arkansas in May, also Memphis and Little Rock
Old 04-04-2005, 08:14 AM

State: Michigan

Hal,
No one has taken it yet. It premiers in early May. I think the CT chapter has one scheduled for June. Go to appraisalinstitute.org and click on "Seminars" for details.

Terrel,
Columbia Institute may be offering a seminar on the new URAR, but it's not the one about which Hal is asking.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:45 AM

State: Arizona
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

I understand the AI course in Tucson the first week of May is already completely booked. The Phoenix chapter of the NAIFA will have a seminar in Phoenix, AZ on May 13, instructor will be Joe Minnich of Fannie Mae. Those plans should be finalized in a day or two. The Phoenix chapter of the NAIFA will be sending registration notices to AZ, NM, NV and UT appraisers. Of course appraisers from any other state will be welcome--but CE credit will be applied for in those four states. So if your state will recognize the seminar for CE--come visit us!
Old 04-04-2005, 09:12 AM

State: Connecticut

Hi Rich;

I am already signed up for the June Conn course, just wondering how it was.

Will wait and see.

thanks for the reply

Regards

Hal
Old 05-05-2005, 09:06 PM

I took it today in Cincinnati andreally enjoyed it.

Learned a lot in regards to our liability and how we need to develope an extension to the forms Scope of Work section and base the scope on the different types are reports which we encounter.

let me know if I can answer any questions.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:34 PM

State: Colorado

I'm taking it in Denver on June 10th.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:57 AM

State: Michigan

Then I'll see you in Denver, Nancy.

I taught the seminar in Kansas yesterday and it went over very well, judging from the program and instructor evaluation forms. I contacted another instructor who taught it in Tucson yesterday and received a very good report as well.

Information on the "Professional's Guide to the Uniform Residential Appraisal Report" is available at appraisalinstitute.org. Over 100 venues to choose from.
Old 05-06-2005, 08:18 PM

On May 5th (Drinko De Mayo) in Tucson, Dawn Molitor-Gennrich, one of the members of the 2005 ASB, taught the A.I.'s course on the new appraisal forms.

The class room at the University of Phoenix was jammed, elbow to elbow. People came from all over. Musta been a hundred and fifty of us?

One of the highlights for me: Ms Dawn emphasized that FNMA's revisions are focused on catching appraisers who commit fraud. She said fraud is rampant. It's a BIG problem, and FNMA is turning in appraisers to state boards.

Another emphasis is: NO assumptions in the reports, except two pre-printed ones already in the forms. This means that all the assumptions about hidden physical defects, unknown presence of hazardous substances, etcera will not be permitted in the reports. From what I heard Ms Dawn say, the scope of work will be one of the most important parts of the new reports, because the scope narrative will inform the readers the extent of the appraiser's work. "Reconstituting" assumptions used in old version report forms, as part of the scope of work, will be essential to use the new forms and inform readers what was done, and what wasn't.

This is a MUST course for all residential appraisers who are going to continue doing mortgage lending appraising, because this form is ONLY for mortgage lending. Says so right on the form. That's why the A.I. is going to publish a new set of residential forms for other purposes, like divorce, pre-listing, estate, etcetera. Ms Dawn said the A.I. is furnishing the new forms to all software companies in about 30 days.

I might just have to join the A.I. again. This is an example of how the A.I. is helping residential appraisers. Wonder how all the M.A.I.'s feel about some of A.I.'s resources being devoted to this? Or, is it just a little catch up to balance out distribution of resources between MAI and SRA?

An aside about Ms Dawn's class........... I could close my eyes, when Ms Dawn was speaking, listen to her accent, and visualize a county sheriff from Fargo in the movie by the same name. Made the class fun to listen to. Of course, Ms Dawn's obvious expertise was the main thing. She's worked as a review appraiser for much of her career, if not all of it.

I was very pleased with the course and feel the money and time spent were well worth it.

Ricardo Small in Tucson

P.S. - I hope that FNMA does NOT change Certification # 23. If FNMA really is targeting fraud by appraisers, borrowers SHOULD BE ABLE TO RELY ON THE APPRAISAL REPORT, even IF they are not named as intended users. Since state boards are sadly lacking in effective USPAP enforcement, making appraisers financially responsible to borrowers for erroneous, fraudulent reports in civil courts will help eliminate the fraud. Deflecting financial responsibility, by saying that borrowers are not intended users and therefore cannot rely on appraisal reports, and that they have no privity to seek compensation for damages resulting from fraudulent appraisals pertaining to houses they own or are purchasing, enslaves appraisers to mortgage brokers who demand inflated appraisal values and reports that ignore poor condition, negative externals, etc. Keeping the existing language in # 23 will assist in reducing fraud.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:33 PM

State: Colorado

Oh, Nancy, I was thinking maybe I'd see you down here in the Springs on July 20th. At the time I registered I learned of, and considered, that Denver date too, but why drive the extra hour each way.
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread