Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Appraisal Education
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 06:30 PM

State: Texas
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

I've been told that there are not enough AQB instructors for USPAP courses in Texas. I've been an appraiser for 22 years, and need a change of pace. So I've been giving some thought about teaching. I realize that I need to teach a min. of 35 hours in the last 5 years. Shouldn't be too hard to do, although I've never taught. Anyone have a clue about demand for instructors, esp. USPAP certified instructors? Mostly for private schools, etc., since I am not "designated" by any organization.
Sponsored Links

Old 04-04-2005, 09:58 PM

According to the Foundation's web site, there are 35 certified USPAP instructors in Texas.

I encourage anyone with an interest to explore teaching. It will certainly make one a better appraiser. You have to know the material inside out, and you have to be able to defend well what you say.

Good luck!!

JC
Old 04-05-2005, 06:38 AM

State: North Carolina
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

I thought about this. I was an instructor pilot in the military for a long time. Teeaching is not what I want to do, but would gladly fill in or help out.

I am sure I can pass the test, its that dang 35 hours or so I dont want to do. Maybe I can do an easy GIG like AI's ; Rates and Ratios: Making Sense of GIMs, OARs and DCF or Uniform Appraisal Standards for Federal Land Acquisitions: Practical Applications for Fee Appraisers

I actually just want to take the test. The hell with trying to explain a moving target to 30 disinterested people.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:29 AM

State: Virginia

B) There is NOT a shortgage of USPAP Certified Instructors. There are 536 as of the last time I checked(last week). Some states have many, some only a few. I am not sure how many have taken the test. You must attend 2 days of USPAP Training, then take the test. The test results in about 50%+- passing the test. I took it 4 times. It is graded by a psychomatrician in North Carolina for TAF. There are 120 questions. All are multiple choice. Most have all right answers but you must select the one that is best or "most right". Some have taken the training and the test well over 5 times and still have not passed. Andrew, go for it. All others, if you believe you can pass the test, go for it. With so called distance learning, the demand for AQB Certified USPAP Instructors is not as great as one would have believed.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:22 PM

State: North Carolina

Don,

I am seriously thinking of doing this. Thought I might try and use it as CE for the next bi-yearly requirements.

I figured I could substitute teach for appraisal class instructors on a ON-Call basis. Should not take to long to get 35 hours.

I apply. take the course then sit for the exam about three to five times.
Its kind of like an MAI. Once you get it they cant take it away unless you forget to pay your dues.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:24 PM

B) Andrew,

Hate to tell you this but North Carolina will not give any credit for taking the course. Even when you pass they will not. It is not an "approved" course in North Carolina. I know, I asked them and sent a copy of my certificate to them. They said no. Go figure
Old 04-05-2005, 03:28 PM

B) Steve,

Go for it. There are no AQB Certified Instructors in Hawaii. Some other states have only a few.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:26 AM

State: Virgin Islands
Professional Status: Retired Appraiser

Quote:
the demand for AQB Certified USPAP Instructors is not as great as one would have believed.
Because of on line availability?
Old 04-06-2005, 06:54 AM

B) Steven,

That is part of the answer. Also, the real demand won't be known for 1, 2 or 3 more years as appraisers around the country renew their license. Where the real demand is, is in the pre-license. I just taught a 15 hour pre-license course in Wilmington, Delaware last weekend. Had over 30 in the class. My son is taking the last course he needs to move from State Licensed to take the exam for State Certified Residential. There is over 40 in that class, a 15 hour class on condominium appraisal, and over 90% are trainee hopefuls.

See attached for AQB summary of number of instructors, and those taking exam in total:
Attached Files
File Type: ibf post-19-1112788667.ibf (4.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: txt 2_25_05_Meeting_Summary.txt (4.9 KB, 14 views)
Old 04-06-2005, 10:42 AM

State: California
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

I always figured it would work itself out. The process would cull the people who weren't serious about it and only taught it once in a while, and market demand would take care of the rest. It's possible to charge a little more for a USPAP course than for other types of CE, but the difference isn't that much. It costs an instructor at least $500 a year to maintain their qualification, and they don't even get to claim the course for their own CE requirements. So right away they start out in the hole.

I would hope the primary motivation for teaching the courses is because the individual wants to contribute to the process. If it's about makng money they'd be better off hustling up another client - a mediocre one is sufficient - for their appraisal practice. Appraising generally pays better than teaching. IMO.
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread