Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Appraisal Education
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 02:02 PM

State: Illinois
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

Has anyone else taken McKissock's course, Appraising High Value Residential Properties? What did you think of the course? Not about the instructor, but the course itself.

I just sat through the course yesterday. (Like my choice of words?) I guess I might have been expecting something different. But, when the day ended, I found myself asking the question, "So, how does one appraise a high-value residential property?" By the way, this is the Chicago area and I've appraised my share of high-value residential properties. I wanted to learn more, I guess.
Sponsored Links

Old 04-06-2005, 02:10 PM

Hi Jim!

I'm sorry to hear that the Appraising High Value course was not what you had hoped it would be.

Our goal is to always provide interesting and informative topics that.....well....don't put you to sleep.....

I have located your record and made a note that your next class with us is free of charge due to this.

Please feel free to contact me directly with any specifics regarding the course content that you feel are relevant so we can take a look at it and make revisions as applicable.

We appreciate your business and hope that you'll give us another chance to keep you happy.

Thanks!
Old 04-06-2005, 02:27 PM

Tracy, it's not necessary to buy my business and, frankly, I find it offensive. Please adjust your records... I do not want a credit on the class. Just follow through and be sure that I receive my 7-hours of continuing education.

I've filled out a course evaluation. At least, I filled it out as completely as I could given the amount of time provided by the instructor. Maybe you could refer to the evaluation. I think, given the regulatory climate, there'll always be a need for timely and informative courses.
Old 04-07-2005, 02:04 AM

State: Arizona

Hi Jim,
I've taken many classes with McKissock over the years. Namely, "The Appraiser as Expert Witness", "Appraiser Liability", "Appraising the Oddball:nonconforming & Difficult properties", "USPAP", "Factory-built Housing", "AVM's" to name a few. I have found them all to be very good and very informative. Well, okay, the USPAP is pretty dry, but that is probably not the fault of the school or teacher! :asleep: I say take them up on the offer of a free class and try a different one. Can't hurt if it's CE hours and free besides. And no, I do not work for McKissock.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:07 AM

I'll take Jim's credit!

I'm in Chicago and need to get my behind into class as I have stupidly yet again squandered away the winter months.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:20 AM

State: Pennsylvania

Jim, never pass up on a freebie! I've taken some real snoozers, a 15 hour "Appraising the Tough Ones" that I thought was the worst class ever. I've taken quite a few from McKissock, haven't fallen asleep yet.

TC
Old 04-08-2005, 09:39 PM

State: Ohio

Dont be offended Jim, a freebie if you are not happy with the results is considered good business practice everywhere but in appraising. :lol:

I think mikkisock is a good provider. I generally preffer institute classes even though I dont have a designation, because they usually assume a certain level of education and experience. Mikissock seems to try to make the core material accessable to the newbies but they usually have a good teacher who can keep the crusty old guys involved.

The class makeup and level of involvement is key, along with the teacher, however, if nobody gets any personal interaction going things can get pretty dull in continuing ed classes.
Old 04-08-2005, 10:21 PM

State: California

I was happy with the couple online courses I took recently. Material was OK, a little dated in the technology class, but I knocked those CE hours out quick.
Old 04-09-2005, 12:09 PM

State: Arkansas
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

I have taken several McKissock courses. One was very good. The Manf. Housing class could use some help...nothing on Kelly or NADA, just lots of MH caveats..The teacher was OK, the course lacked something...btw. The power point presentation as book concept sux putty balls. Gimme a real text book, even if i have to buy it.
Old 04-09-2005, 12:27 PM

State: Colorado

As I just told my students (15 hour USPAP)....."never judge a person until you have walked a mile in their shoes". Why, because you will be a mile away from them and have their shoes! :rofl:

I think McKissock's offer of a free class shows....real class. Thank you, Traci! Continuing Education is mandated by most states and unfortunately sometimes the student knows as much about the subject as the instructor. An important part of instructing is to gage the experience level of your students and adjust accordingly. Thats why I like the 15 USPAP course...nearly no one has ever read the book.

One can always critique the course materials and the instructor ... which I hope you did. Too bad more students don't spend just a little more time providing honest input that will benefit both the course and the instructors.

Over the years I have learned you are never going to satisfy all the people all of the time. You do your best and then move on. Guess that is why most instructors for these courses are from "out of town". If you think putting on seminars is easy, try it sometime.

I wish you well.

Closed Thread