Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Appraisal Education
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 06:43 PM

State: California
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

I am a licensed California Residential Appraiser, and am looking for companies that offer classroom training for the 30 hours of additional BASIC education that I need in order to meet the 120 hour requirement to get my Certified Appraiser status. I have talked to the folks at OREA and my continuing education hours don't count- I need 30 hours of what they said was "basic education, specifically covering the topics of Capitalization and Narrative Report Writing". I have done several web searches, and can find only ONE source of online training specifically for this, and no classroom courses. Any pointers?
Thanks in advance, Jack
Sponsored Links

Old 04-12-2005, 07:02 PM

Jack,
Are you looking for one class to cover both topics? I looked at the OREA web site Find Education link, and saw quite a few classes there covering one or the other. Both distance and face classes, but I don't know your location.

http://www.orea.ca.gov/html/PCSearch.shtml

Just in case you weren't aware of that feature. :)
Old 04-13-2005, 07:17 AM

Dear Jack,

Hi there!

I'm not sure how soon you are looking for the courses you mentioned, but we will be offering OREA Approved basic education courses in the following locations this year in California:

Dublin, CA
Sept 10-11: Residential Income Approach (covers Direct Capitalization)
Sept 12-13: Residential Report Writing (covers Narrative Report Writing)

Anaheim, CA
Sept 11-12: Residential Income Approach
Sept 13-14: Residential Report Writing

If you are willing to travel, we have these same classes scheduled for June in Denver, CO and various other locations Nationwide.

Additionally, we hope to have a full curriculum of Basic Education Courses approved in California within the next year or so.

If you have any questions or would like additional information, please feel free to contact me anytime.

Tracie
Old 04-13-2005, 10:02 AM

Jack,

You might also try the Appraisal Institute. The have a Sacramento/Sierra chapter and a Bay Area chapter. Their first income capitalization class (it used to be called "Cap A") is an excellent introduction to the subject. At least it'll hone your 12-C skills.
Old 04-18-2005, 04:42 PM

State: Kentucky
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

You might consider taking an upcoming course from George K. Cox, MAI, SRPA, SRA. He has thirty-seven years of experience in valuation and consulting, has experience on a national level with extensive experience in litigation-related matters and is past Chair of the Kentucky Real Estate Appraisers Board, past president of the Bluegrass Chapter of the Appraisal Institute, and the Evansville Chapter of The Society of Real Estate Appraisers.

Several people on this forum have attended his classes with great reviews. You can view some of these on his web site at the link below.

http://www.georgekcoxvaluationprofessionals.com/

These are great courses for those wishing to perform at a credible level.

It looks as though CA is a reciprocal state.

Good luck to you.

Bryan S. Reynolds
Reynolds Appraisal Service
Old 04-19-2005, 07:10 PM

I am doing the same. I just finished Anthony School for the income property. I thought I had to take the 15 hours of USPAP because of there brochure. OREA says no. Now I found out that I need a Narrative Writing Class.

I did some research. There is a course in Las Vegas that is on OREA.CA.GOV list http://www.lincoln-grad.org/courseinfo.php...ppraisal+Report. in June.

In July the AI offers the writing class (a whole week). AI offers the income property class too.

I ended up taking the homestudy course and the Anthony course to upgrade. I could not understand Income properties without a teacher. It turns out the Anthony course only full fills a portion of the requirement.

I think the 2 day class is probably the best. I just wish the class were more frequent. I want to finish this process in the next month. The OREA takes 90 days to get you a test date. I don't understand why.. I would give them extra money for faster service. I need to upgrade with so many properties over a million.

Also I noticed there are many community colleges that offer classes. I would like to check that out. Some of these seminar classes slam the material down your throat to fast.

If anyone knows of a 2 day class in the next 30 days on narrative writing that is approved by OREA in southern california.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:57 PM

State: Kentucky
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

George Cox just annouced he will be offering another basic income cap course next month. I don't know if it is on his website yet but I think it is being offered on May 16 and 17th.

You can email him at the following link

http://www.georgekcoxvaluationprofessionals.com/

This is a great course.

Bryan
Old 04-27-2005, 01:09 AM

Basic Ed

Here's one that I was considering.....I'm basically in the same boat....want to upgrade prior to 2008.
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread