Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Appraisal Education
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 09:49 AM

State: Texas
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

Say, I'm considering going through the University of Denver's online Masters in Real Estate program that the Appraisal Institute recognizes. I was wondering if anybody has any experience with UD? Similarly, I'm looking into various GMAT prep. providers. Does anybody have a good feel about those?

Thanks,
Jerry Stewart
Sponsored Links

Old 04-15-2005, 10:21 PM

I took a GMAT prep. course (Kaplan) offered through the University where I entered the MBA program (Univ. of Nebraska), got a 670, but don't think I would have done as well without the prep. course because it had been so long since I'd graduated.

If you got your undergrad. recently, you might do o.k. without prep.. I'd take it anyway.
Old 04-16-2005, 08:06 AM

State: Texas

Yes, I've been looking at Kaplan and Veritas (veritasprep.com) which seems to have a pretty good program as well. I've been out of college for a while (10+years) and so I'm feeling a little rusty. My goodness, the other day I took one of the online sample GMAT tests and it confirmed to me how much I need to prepare.

Thanks,
Jerry
Old 04-16-2005, 08:28 AM

Jerry,
Prepare for real physical pain while blowing out the cob webs, but go for it. We appraisers have an ethical responsibility to keep learning. I don't know where you are, but DU has an excellent reputation in CO where I am.
I personally do better in a class room. I miss something on-line, and I too have stretched my educational experience into a life time chore. That used to sound like a virtue to me, but I'm re-thinking which category self imposed continuinjg education belongs in. I'm with the guy who said watch out for the prep classes. Stuff gets foggy or goes away somewhere and some seems to change.
It's hard to imagine how an adult with responsibilities can just stop everything and go to school, so probably on-line is the way you have to go. Some of the on-line classes I took had chat rooms, but they weren't very well attended. Maybe you can line up somebody to talk to about class work and content. On-line you miss all the interactive stuff.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:57 PM

State: California
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Try this forum.

http://www.testmagic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4
Old 07-22-2005, 07:16 AM

State: Alabama

You might want to double check UDís requirements. Graduate schools are becoming more user-friendly everyday.

Some schools give a pass on the exams if the applicant has been out of college for five years (substitute practical experience for the exams).

Some allow probationary enrollment without an exam. These applicants must eventually take the exam not to stay in school (assuming they are doing well) but to just have a score.

The Auburn MIS program that I am thinking of entering can first be entered to gain a graduate certificate (without a exam) and then this can be used as a foundation for the graduate degree.

Then there is my wife. The university became aware of her interest and recruited her. She was eventually required to take an exam and fill out the application but it was at her leisure.
Old 07-22-2005, 07:29 AM

State: Illinois

Jerry, are do you appraise real estate now? If so, what kind? What benefit do you perceive from a master's degree in real estate? Just curious.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:25 PM

Hi Jerry, I am a graduate student at the University of Denver's Burns College of Real Estate and Construction Management. This is my second term at the school. I love it!!! Send me an email at Shea1616@msn.com so we can talk more.

LaShea Miller
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread