Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Appraisal Education
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 12:44 AM

State: Arizona
Professional Status: Retired Appraiser

This class was one of the best I've had; taught by Stephanie Coleman, MAI, SRA.

I'm sure many of you have taken it; but for those who haven't, it's a must!

It really focused on some key elements in USPAP, and gave me a better understanding of how to provide different types of services to clients. I can also see more clearly where the current problem in the appraisal profession lies.

We're afraid to charge for our work! Why should we spend our time and money doing research for free for people who pressure, demean, and show complete lack of respect for us by refusing to pay for our services?

If everybody said no, the wh*ores would all be at the Bunny Ranch! B)

This class should be mandatory for all trainees, prior to licensing.

Stephanie Coleman is the example I want to follow as an appraiser, she really understands the ethical responsibilities of an appraiser.
Sponsored Links

Old 04-29-2005, 04:26 AM

State: Connecticut
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Hi Rae;

Who gave the class?????? AI??

Can you give more detail??

Regards

Hal
Old 04-29-2005, 11:07 PM

Hal,

Yes, it was and AI sponsored class. The best thing about the class was the way the material was explained in a matter of fact manner, with none of the hysterical screaming about how illegal comp checks are. :lol:

The course material was geared more toward the "spirit" of USPAP, rather than the strict legalities. There are a lot of options for services appraisers can provide, they just have to be done in compliance with USPAP. The problem is that many appraisers are so afraid they'll upset the client and lose business if they dare even mention that they'd like to get paid.

That's why this class is great for all appraisers, especially newbies. If it's made clear up front how much work is involved in making sure a file is USPAP compliant, maybe there would be some hesitation about doing all that work for free.

It's frustrating that all appraisers can't just say NO to the constant pressure and requests for assignments that don't comply with USPAP. When the dealers are out of business, the junkies either get clean, move on, or die! B)

I also liked the focus on how critical it is to communicate with the client up front about exactly what the assignment will entail. If you want to to a staged assignment, that's ok, as long as you comply with USPAP. If it's going to be more work than the typical assignment, set your fee accordingly. Tell your client what services you can provide legally, how much the fee will be, and either make an agreement or move on to the next assignment. You can't be treated like a ***** unless you act like one! :P

Wouldn't it be nice if the majority of appraisers knew the rules and respected themselves and the profession? If that were the case, it would be pretty easy to spot (and stop) unethical behavior in the entire industry.

If even the majority of appraisers acted ethically, the mortgage crooks would be stopped dead in their tracks. It's pretty difficult to get a bad deal through without a bogus appraisal.

TAKE THIS CLASS ! (No, I am not associated with the AI)
Old 04-30-2005, 07:49 AM

Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

I was in the same class with Rae Thursday. Very worthwhile and I totally agree that every appraisers needs to take it!!
Old 04-30-2005, 09:57 AM

State: Colorado

Rae, ....help me out here, what exactly was the title of the class ? Was it called ..."ReAppraising, ReAddressing, ReAssigning" ?, as you placed in the heading of your posting. Being a one-day class perhaps it is an AI seminar. Is there an identifying seminar # for this one class ?

I am pleased to hear that there was a focused effort to emphasize the importance of the appraiser structuring their services for any such hybridized appraisal reporting to involve that element of THEIR compensation ! Any chance she suggested that appraisers provide these services in pre-paid bundles of 10 with any one client ?....accounting for their completion one-by-one, and eliminating the nit-picky details and tedium of invoicing.

I quickly paged through my copy of AI's 2005 Resources Catolog and could not pick up the trail on any such class event in AZ on April 28th. Help us out.
Old 04-30-2005, 01:42 PM

"re-Appraising, Re-Addressing, Re-Assigning" ABA No. 0404-354

http://www.soazai.org
Old 04-30-2005, 03:49 PM

State: Illinois

Thanks for the tip. I wonder if they'll accept my McKissock credit there at the AI?
Old 04-30-2005, 04:12 PM

State: New Mexico

Darn! Looks like it's something that just the Southern Arizona chapter was offering. I checked the national AI site, no such animal. Hope you guys gave them shining kudos in your evaluations. Maybe they'll decide to take it national. Let us know if this offering comes up again, I'll make the trip.

Thanks for the info!
Old 04-30-2005, 04:56 PM

Caterina,

Ms. Coleman indicated that she teaches the class all over the country, maybe you could make a suggestion to your local AI chapter?

One of my bosses is the new education director for the Southern AZ chapter, so I'll have a heads up on upcoming classes. There's one coming up in September on residential evalation and new construction which should be pretty interesting.

The class material for this particular class should be on the AI website. Ms. Coleman said they have templates and guidance for making "abbreviated" assignments USPAP compliant.

It also appears the AI is coming out with a new form for non-lending type assignments, due to the drastic changes in the URAR.
Old 04-30-2005, 05:16 PM

State: Virginia

B) First, any course taught by AI is a great course. That said, any good 7 Hour USPAP update course should be teaching the same thing. I know I spend a lot of time on those issues as well as scope of work. I might take the course myself if they come to my part of the country with it. What is usually taught by the AI chapters in Virginia is stuff that 90% of residential appraisers would have little interest in.

Closed Thread