Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Appraisal Education
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 09:48 AM

State: Tennessee
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

On Friday, I attended "Appraising Manufactured Housing", which was put together by Forumite Rich Heyn. I enjoyed meeting him, and his class was well put together and organized. I highly recommend it. I had been planning on taking a McKissock class in September on the New URAR/Form, however, I was so impressed by Rich's organization and educating skills, I likely will take his New URAR/Form class with the AI, w' Rich Heyn as teacher. One can tell he puts a lot of time and thought and sweat into his class. He had pictures of Manufactured Homes from all over the country. Best of all, he let us out 10 minutes early. Kidding Rich.

Thanks for the good class and enjoyed meeting you.
Sponsored Links

Old 05-23-2005, 10:10 AM

State: Arizona
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

Do you remember the photo of the Pueblo/Southwestern style manufactured home with the flat roof, parapets, vigas and stucco finish? That is my next door neighbor.

And I agree, Rich puts on an excellant manufactured home class--I took it three times last year!
Old 05-23-2005, 10:36 AM

State: Tennessee

Quote:
Originally posted by Jo Ann Meyer Stratton@May 23 2005, 10:10 AM
Do you remember the photo of the Pueblo/Southwestern style manufactured home with the flat roof, parapets, vigas and stucco finish? That is my next door neighbor.

And I agree, Rich puts on an excellant manufactured home class--I took it three times last year!
Oh yes. It was hilarious. It looked very site built, until he showed it in two sections. LOL Do you live in something similar? I don't remember if it was Modular or HUD code.

Also, I liked the home on stilts, which was in FL. Looked just like site built. These modulars, are very nice.

He is a fine educator. I thought, somebody who finally is a peer to Jo Ann, in terms of Manufactured/Modular housing.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:27 AM

State: Nebraska
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

William:

The fact that Rich does ALL the legwork in developing his classes does show in presentation, doesn't it! He really KNOWS the material, and the 'student' gets something to take home besides a piece of paper claiming
CE "butt-time"!

I have (and will continue to) fly cross country if Rich is giving a class I want anywhere near any place I even think I might want to visit! I highly reccomend that folks do not limit themselves to local classes if Rich is teaching anywhere within their travel tolerances. Its worth a trip.

The art of seminar presentation is no small feat, material being only a small part of the matter of giving a GOOD educational experience... Timing, knowing the audience, etc all matter in getting good discussions going which make the printed and presentation matter STICK between your ears! And if you do manage to sleep through, Rich's take home references are GREAT!

A real professional can adapt. I have seen Rich present seminars to the button-down crowd as well as the country folk and felt each time that he was centering the "presentation" to the interests and formailty level of the group to whom he was speaking... yet never talking down or sounding stuffy!

Glad you finally got a chance at a seat in one of Rich's classes!

FWIW I attended one of the first Manufactured Housing classes that Rich taught... and he STILL remembers me, as I asked the hard questions and didn't back down on my need to know. (I am quite certain however that a few classmembers wished me dumped in the Pacific for the numebr of questions I was asking, which they might not have understood the import of at the time :P )
Old 05-23-2005, 07:49 PM

The Pueblo style home was HUD code manufactured, installed at ground level. Redman Homes Chandler plant offers a choice of off frame modulars or HUD code manufactured homes in that style. Cavco and Palm Harbor also offer that style in their HUD code manufactured homes.

No, I don't live in a manufactured home. My house was site built in 1962 of solid burnt adobe. Burnt adobe is 4" high, 16" long and 8" thick mud/straw that has been baked in a kiln. Standard adobe is dried in the sun. The burnt adobe comes out in various shades of red and orange, all in the same block. With a solid 8 inches for the exterior walls, insulation isn't needed for the interior. My exterior walls are the exposed burnt adobe block on the interior--which I think is the neatest feature of my home.

Actually, Rich is my superior for information on manufactured housing. I strongly recommend his seminar for every residential appraiser, whether they accept assignments for factory built homes or not, just so they are informed regarding factory built housing.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:50 PM

State: Arkansas

Quote:
installed at ground level.
try that in S. Louisiana
Old 05-23-2005, 08:21 PM

Water table is 600 feet below the surface in many locations in Arizona--and with 110 degree weather in summer and 35 degree in winter at the lower elevations--we don't have to worry about frost levels either.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:27 PM

State: Georgia

Speaking of MH pics.... what did Bucks do with his web site? That site was Great!!
Old 05-24-2005, 02:08 AM

State: Michigan
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

We had Rich in for some real estate Con-Ed last month for our board.

Can you guess what the topic was? - What every Realtor should know about manufactured housing.

Good turn out. Very well received. It's a 3 hour version of the more detailed course for appraisers.

You might want to make this same suggestion to your local Realtor education committee.

Not that Rich has too much time on his hands but it is a wonderful opportunity to share some of our educational opportunities on manufactured housing.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:40 AM

State: Michigan

Will, Jo Ann, Lee Ann and Richard; thank you for the kind words.
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread