Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Appraisal Education
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 06:01 AM

State: Florida
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

http://www.workingre.com/workingre/trainee...uble-online.htm

A solution for trainee training???

"This would relieve some of the financial burden from mentors who want to follow the rules, and make it easier for trainees to find an office where they can complete their experience hours and learn their trade."

:question: :question: :idea:
Sponsored Links

Old 05-25-2005, 07:45 AM

State: North Carolina

Julio,

It makes sense and it would get rid of people who are not looking for a career.

One of friends son is home from Virginia Tech where he is studying to be a Civil engineer. He will be a senior next year and is actively looking for an internship this summer. We know people and have put him onto several possibilities. Several of the internships will pay him nothing, absolutely nothing. The other one involves a lot of travel and they will pay his expenses and a small, very small salary.

He can hardly wait to get in on just any of them. He wants and needs the experience. He is looking for a career as a professional.

Medical students many times work for nothing, I think they call it clinic. Its a requirement for there Degree.

Doctors work massive hours 7 days a week for very little money. Tey ar professional and are looking for a career in medicine.

I am sure there are other great examples.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:00 AM

Professional Status: Retired Appraiser

IMO, an Associate Degree program in real estate appraisal would be MUCH better than anything else suggested so far.

Classes would include ANSI, all the supplemental guidelines, extensive construction and repairs 'recognition', how to read and understand surveys and legal descriptions, easements, variations of the forms of ownership and how they relate to value, qualified and unqualified sales, narrative report writing, lots and lots of case studies, and much more.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:17 AM

Ditto what Pam said, only I would like it to be a 4-yr degree. A business core of finance, management, statistics, and economics w/ specific appraisal classes.

A 1-week class and a fee to the state does not an appraiser make. All that does is create clueless trainees who are sucked into sweat shops. There is no incentive for good certs to take on trainees because they take so much time and money to train.

Give us trainees who have a small clue (degree in appraising) then let them get field trained. Or better yet, make field work part of the degree. Teachers spend time in a real classroom. Nurses spend time in the hospital. Heck, HAIR STYLIST spend time doing real hair cuts before they get a paper from the state.

Higher barriers to entry (eg degrees) mean increased fees for all. Now if we can just work on the respect part....
Old 05-25-2005, 10:21 AM

State: Pennsylvania

Until education requirements for the appraisal business are raised above a GED, 2500 hrs, and 120 classroom hours, this is not a profession, IMHO.

TC
Old 06-04-2005, 01:59 PM

State: Maryland
Professional Status: Appraiser Trainee

Quote:
Originally posted by TC@May 25 2005, 10:21 AM
Until education requirements for the appraisal business are raised above a GED, 2500 hrs, and 120 classroom hours, this is not a profession, IMHO.

TC
Do you consider yourself a professional, in a field of work in which you do not believe is a profession?
Of course you do

Did someone mentor you?
Of Course they did

School knowledge is wonderful, you can have 3,4,5,6 years of schooling specifically geared to appraising, but you must get hands on experience.
Hands on experience is were you separate the men from the boys.
Most appraisers argue that we need tougher guidelines to get a trainees license, why? It seemed to work for them.

Just use common sense hiring practices. Most people can tell a quality hire.
I myself, am becoming a appraisal trainee, but I will be providing clients to my mentor, probably more than we can handle. I am also sharing my wealth of computer and real estate knowledge. It is a win-win situation for all.

FH
Old 06-04-2005, 02:32 PM

I'm sorry, Mr. Harris, but you don't know what we're talking about here yet. Your writing already shows you are pretty far above the majority of the appraiser newbies/wannabes during these past few years.

If you want to know what mortgage lending appraising is all about, read as much as you can here, especially in the FAQs sections and any postings above the main ones, Newbie/Wannabe, General Appraisal Forum, Improving the Profession.... just to start. The education you will recieve here is far, far superior to what your initial classes will ever be. If the supervising appraiser you are going to work with as a trainee is both competent and ethical, you will be one of the VERY rare lucky ones.

Welcome to the Appraisers Forum!!!!!
Old 06-04-2005, 05:32 PM

State: Maryland
Professional Status: Appraiser Trainee

Point taken and thank you for the warm welcome.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:44 PM

State: California

Frank,

Welcome to The Forum. If you want to work in Northern California and you have a client base here, give me a call or email. Your communication skills appear to be superior to most, and, you have a real estate background? In my opinion, that should be more of a requirement than any degree could offer.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:47 PM

State: California

By the way, Frank. I have a very good lady friend who lives in Columbia.
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread