Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Appraisal Education
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 09:26 PM

State: Ohio
Professional Status: Appraiser Trainee

Hello, and thank you all for looking at my first official post!!!
anyway, down to bidnas- I did about 70 appraisals a few years ago under a lunatic, who basicaly taught me nothing but how to slide a URAR through the loan process.

I'm have realized that i want to get back into this field again- permanently.

But before I go knocking on appraisers doors asking for apprenticeships, i would like to know what orginizations i should join, if any, and what classes/courses/schools are the best- specifically in the central/northwestern Ohio areas. This way they know that i'm serious, and am in it for the long haul.

please- any and all info would be MOST greatfully appreciated!!!!

Thanks a ton!! I look forward to many more wonderful conversations on this message board!!

Dana
Sponsored Links

Old 06-04-2005, 11:59 PM

State: Michigan
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

Spend alot of time reading posts here (ALOT). You will learn just how many questions you have. Use the search function to find answers and even MORE questions. Dedicate some time here and you will know what path to follow.
Old 06-05-2005, 05:59 AM

State: Pennsylvania

Quote:
Originally posted by John Megdan@Jun 4 2005, 11:59 PM
Spend alot of time reading posts here (ALOT). You will learn just how many questions you have. Use the search function to find answers and even MORE questions. Dedicate some time here and you will know what path to follow.
The NAIFA puts on A LOT of classes in Ohio and has a very active chapter in Cleveland. http://naifa.com/

And John, as you previously stated on another post, while a lot of people use alot, it is incorrect and just another example of the dumbing down of America.

TC
Old 06-05-2005, 01:49 PM

State: New Mexico

Dana - welcome to the forum. Do follow the suggestions of spending A LOT of time reading the threads on the forum. There is a tremendous amount of information, suggestions, warning, concerns and ideas provided here. It's really a shame that the forum couldn't be used for CE.

As someone attempting to break into the field (again or new) I don't think I would suggest that immediately join any organization (IFA, ASA, AI, etc) just yet (I have nothing against them so don't jump on me gang). Instead, I'd suggest get some education from any and all recognized sources. Associate yourself, as soon as possible, with experienced, knowledgeable and honest appraisers. Even consider following one or two, if possible, around for free. You can learn a whole bunch just by that association.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:07 PM

Hello,

I am a Newbie interested in getting into this field. I have a full time job and would like to pursue appraising as a part time gig. I'm aware that besides the hurdle of passing the exam, I will have to entertain 200+ hours of appraising experience before becoming certified as an appraiser. What would be the best way to get these hours under my belt without taking time off of work? Is my situation quite common? Any insight into this pathway would greatly be appreciated. Thanks!!!

Fred
Old 06-06-2005, 05:53 PM

State: Florida
Professional Status: Retired Appraiser

Fred,

Spend A LOT of time reading the Newbie/Wannabe section of this forum. Start at the top with FAQs threads.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:38 PM

State: Michigan

Ok, ok already. I'll do it for you guys if it means that much.
I only use it casually...KINDA like THANX. Which I use A LOT.

Dana,

I had trouble being able to afford classes when starting out. Some of the ones I did take were not worth the money. Search the forum. There are posts about whether a class was a waste or worth it. Do your homework BEFORE class. Your mentor is the best way to learn and many classes make more sense when you've had field experience as you are better able to understand how they apply to actual situations.

Since you already have some experience (good or bad) you have a leg up on someone with nothing. A good mentor will know if you're serious pretty quickly. Good luck.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:19 AM

State: Arizona

Although joining a professional organization before becoming an appraiser does not make economic sense--I would recommend attend chapter meetings as soon as possible. That only has the expense of a meal usually. And you meet practicing appraisers in your area, hear them discuss current problems, pick up new information and also is start to net working with other appraisers. The National Association of Independent Fee Appraisers http://www.naifa.com is typically more residential in nature. The Appraisal Institute http://www.appraisalinstutute.org is more commercial. Those are the national websites for both organizations and you can find out information about local chapters that way. And if you decide to remain active in the appraisal field--become active in the chapter with a goal of joining some day and eventually working toward a professional designation in future.
Old 06-11-2005, 03:01 PM

State: Ohio
Professional Status: Appraiser Trainee

THanks guys, for all the advice- as a veteran forum visitor (on other topics/ web sites) it rings very true that there is tons of info on this forum to be had if only one were to take the time to search it out- which i certainly plan to do here!!!

i would like to ask what schools are among the best- i've seen McKissock listed around here, i know of Hondros, which offers these classes in this area as well, but are there any others? my possible-new-mentor gave me the name of one that he prefers over both McKissock, and Hondros, but i cant remember the name off the top of my head, and i dont want to hurt my chances with him by going back and asking for that name again when i should have wrote it down the first time.

again thank you all for your replies, and advice, which i'll be sure to put to VERY good use! I look forward to many fun and enlightening conversations in the near future!

Dana
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread