Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Appraisal Education
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 08:27 PM

State: New Hampshire
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

Is it states that require you to have extra tests to be an instructor??

I would imagine it's the ASB that has requirements for USPAP, but what about other type of classes.

I am a class junkie. Some classes are given with zero CE and zero credit hours, then some have CE and yet others have credit hours.

I know that the classes, well really they are seminars that have no CE or credit can be taught by just about anyone the institution holding said seminar deems worthy.

But what about CE? Does that go by state approval to instruct?

And I'm 99% positive that USPAP instructors must go through some sort of testing through the ASB.

I'm only curious b/c (Now don't laugh!!!) I want to teach. No, not now!! But down the road, probably way down the road. It dawned on me today in a class that I could do that......and I want to do that!!

So...I'm curious about the steps people took to become instructors. Don't worry about telling me I don't have enough experience. I am well aware that you should have YEARS behind you. Still, did you start teaching classes for non CE and build from there? Or jump right into it? And if so, how?
Sponsored Links

Old 06-08-2005, 08:49 PM

State: California
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

I don't really know but it would be a blast to reverse engineer the qualifications to successfully pass the course (insert programmable rom chip, remove BS detectors, etc). However, I'm probably in enough trouble speaking my mind on other matters :rofl:

I'm anxious to hear and promise not to comment further if some USPAP Cardinals come up with the answer. I actually read somewhere that the potential ASB certified instructors had to be invited.

Please, someone, say it isn't so!
Old 06-08-2005, 08:53 PM

invited??? No! Really?? I better shape up then. LOL
Old 06-08-2005, 10:43 PM

When in doubt, go to the source. Here's an FAQ on the USPAP Instructor Qualification program:

http://www.appraisalfoundation.org/s_appra...97&DOC=FILE.PDF

Quote:
Application Process
What are the prerequisites/requirements for instructors?
Individuals wishing to apply for the AQB Instructor Certification Course must have:

• At least 7 years of appraisal experience in any discipline, and
• At least 35 classroom hours of appraisal teaching experience within the last 5 years.

Those seeking certification must complete the AQB USPAP Instructor Certification Program Application and be accepted into the program before taking the course and examination. The application is available on The Appraisal Foundation’s website, www.appraisalfoundation.org
Then you have to take the course and pass the test.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:52 PM

State: Virgin Islands
Professional Status: Retired Appraiser

Outside of teaching Uspap for credit, the only other crediential necessary seems to be chutzpah.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:19 PM

State: Florida

Quote:
the only other crediential necessary seems to be chutzpah.
Now be mindful that some are better at chutzpah than others...

TB
Old 06-08-2005, 11:19 PM

There's no question about it, it takes a lot of "chutzpah" to stand in front of a room full of appraisers and presume to tell them about anything.

BTW, the overall pass ratio on the course is less than 60%. So not every warm body who walks in is going to make it. I remember an MAI who took the course at the same time I did. If memory serves, he was and still is in charge of the education for his chapter. Forgive me, but I forget the exact title of the position. If you look around at past issues you can even see his photo and read a couple quotes from him in the AIs national magazine, so he's not one of their dinosaurs. The last I heard, he was heavy into the regression analysis and GIS instruction.

To date, he still hasn't passed the course.

On the other hand, a couple of the instructors I've met don't seem to have the communication skills necessary to buy gasoline much less stand in front of a roomful of their peers and teach a course. I'm not quite sure what the remedy is for a person who can pass the qualification course but can't necessarily teach. But that's nothing new or unique to the appraisal profession - I've also met a couple of college professors with the communications skills of a chipmunk.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:07 AM

State: Texas

Quote:
Originally posted by Kate@Jun 8 2005, 07:27 PM
I'm only curious b/c (Now don't laugh!!!) I want to teach.
:rainfro: :rofl:

Whoops, I am sorry. You will make a good teacher.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:31 AM

State: Nevada

And let me be the first to offer you an apple......
Old 06-09-2005, 12:42 AM

:rainfro: Why did I even ask???? :rofl:

Come on now??? Can't I have a goal??? I am very aware that it would take years.
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread