Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Appraisal Education
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 03:39 PM

Hi all,

I'm getting ready to take my CA state trainee exam and am looking for exam prep help. I did my education through Allied Schools and they gave me a test prep floppy to use, but I'm hoping there's something more specific out there (like something geared specifically to the CA state trainee exam, not all states and all license levels). Does such a program (classes, CDs, books) exisit? Does anyone have any experience to share?

Thanks in advance!

Karen
Sponsored Links

Old 06-21-2005, 05:51 PM

Try attending 2 days exam prep review with Anthony School, I did.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:02 AM

Hey Karen. I just finished through Allied as well. I purchased a CDROM that simulates the test through this site. http://www.americanexamprep.com/. It basically runs you through mock tests, and then you can see where your weaknesses are and study accordingly.

Hope this helps!

Paul
Old 06-22-2005, 12:04 PM

Karen,

I took a course through Simi Valley Adult school ( about 6 months, twice a week, 3 hrs each). I'm also a Broker in CA and NV. (as well as a notary) VERY intensive!

There were things on the test that I had NEVER seen before in any of my studies and I've studied a ton!

The point is, is that I can't offer any guide as to what to study, I can say that you shouldn't make yourself nuts about the test; you will know what you know and use your best guess about what you don't. (I'm sure you will pass. Good Luck) THEN, as you start training, you will find out just how much you DON'T know, and more importantly, how much we all have to keep up with the ever changing business.

The real world is much different than what they ask you on the tests.

One bit of advice for an old physiological psychology grad.:
Eat a piece of DARK chocolate 1/2 hour before the test; it kicks the brain cells into high gear!

Ken Griffin
Old 06-22-2005, 12:07 PM

Karen,
Just found this... It's GREAT advice.

Nationally, the pass rate for examinations is in the range of 30% to 45%. The development of State examinations for many professions, including appraisers, are now the domain of the psychometrician. Systems and statistics are used to track questions and answers. A well monitored examination is often modified and massaged in response to examinee's responses.

Your chances of passing such an examination is maximized using a system and recognizing there most likely is more than one correct answer. You, as the examinee, have the task of selecting the best answer. How is this done? Read the question. Real ALL of the answers. Use a process of elimination to get rid of the obviously wrong answers and make your selection from those remaining.

In the event you cannot make the selection, move on to the next question and repeat the process. Given the number of questions asked and the subject matter that must be tested, chances are you will find hints to the most correct answers elsewhere in the examination.

Using this method, it is not unusual to pass over as much as 50% of the questions without selecting an answer. No problem. Just continue with the process. The advantage is you should be virtually assured the questions you HAVE answered are correct. If it is only 50%, you are 2/3 of the way to a passing grade. You only need to get 50% of the remaining questions correct to get a passing grade. More than likley, your confidence will be higher at this point and you will be learning to go with the flow and trust your instincts without overthinking the test and falling into distractors left to pull you off the right track.

Be calm, be confident and learn to trust your instincts.

Ken
Old 06-23-2005, 12:53 PM

Michael,
What did you think of Anthony Schools' two day prep class? Have you taken the CA state trainee exam since then?

Ken,
Thanks for the tips!
Old 06-23-2005, 12:57 PM

Paul,
Have you taken the state exam yet and did the prep software help? What state are you studying for?
Karen
Old 06-23-2005, 03:47 PM

Hey Karen,

I took the test and did not pass. I bought the cdrom, and it is very much like the test. You can simulate a test environment, or just answer questions and see why you got it wrong. If I had done this before the test, I would have probably passed. I am taking it in Ca as well.

Paul
Old 09-14-2005, 08:13 AM

Hi Paul,

Did u pass the test after using the exam prep test CD for www.americanexamprep.com

I am trying to appear in the state exam soon and was preparing for the test ur feedback will be valuable.

thnx
-Sam
Old 09-14-2005, 08:42 AM

State: Colorado
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

I just took the Certified Residential Test, and only studied with a four year old study guide.....I would guess that 1/2 the questions were exactly the same....yes USPAP has had several changes...so I took the late USPAP classes and took the test....I felt I did really well.... I wish they would tell you the score when you pass also....
Brad

Closed Thread