Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Appraisal Education
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 09:27 AM

State: Arizona
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

I have been looking for a class but have been unsuccessful. Should I seek out someone to learn from or do you just need to learn the forms?

Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks
Sponsored Links

Old 06-29-2005, 01:27 PM

State: Texas
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

You should have a mentor, trainer or licensed appraiser that supervises you teach you how to do these type appraisals.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:46 PM

State: Texas
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

The differences in a REO and other appraisals is the goal of the client. Most REO clients want a quick marketing time with "as is" and "as repaired" values. That involves giving reasonable costs to repair all the problems with a home, recognizing significant issues such as mold, etc, and sometimes having the guts to tell the client the home should be torn down. It's something you have to learn by doing.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:41 AM

State: North Carolina

Quote:
Originally posted by RStrahan@Jun 30 2005, 10:46 PM
The differences in a REO and other appraisals is the goal of the client. Most

such as mold, etc, and sometimes having the guts to tell the client the home should be torn down.
Roger,

the short version:

I recently gave the lender bad news just as suggested. The subject was a condo with ZERO value or Less than ZERO Value! The toxic mold infestation was so severe that mitigation could require a 100% gutting and rebuilding with the cost exceeding current market value by 10-20+ Percent.

The news they were not happy to hear was that the AS-IS value would be Zero plus cost to mitigate the hazard, then and only then would someone pay any money to restore the unit to its intended use.

After that report I began to receive a lot more volume from them.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:28 PM

State: Michigan

How did you recognize it as toxic?
Just curious.

I am also interested in REO work. I have some experience in investment properties and rehab loan appraisals. Seems like it would be a logical segment to branch into.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:36 AM

State: North Carolina

John,

The bank informed me of the mold toxicity. It influenced part of the fee(which was over $1,000), considering that I had to wear protective gear and a special respirator to inspect the property.

Try and imagine an interior where all surfaces were completely covered by mold!
Old 08-05-2005, 02:12 PM

State: Oklahoma
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Andrew,

I have appraised just such a house and NOBODY told me it was going to be that way. It was a Fannie Mae repo that they had a contract on for sale. There was heavy mold under the kitchen counter where the DW had been and a film of mold on everything in the house!. My client decided that they didn't want to lend on it after all. The buyer still wanted to buy it, so I don't know what happened to it. Respiratory system took a while to get straightened back up, though!
Old 08-09-2005, 07:57 PM

State: Louisiana

Ah, "toxic" mold. In the last REO I inspected with obvious mold growth I documented the growth and reported it to the client because of the potential legal hazard and for the required disclosure forms. If a couple of lawyers in Texas hadn't sued the crap out of an insurance company "toxic" mold would be a non issue. The health hazard, I'll let the experts debate that.

Quote:
Summary

In summary, Stachybotrys chartarum (Stachybotrys atra) and other molds may cause health symptoms that are nonspecific. At present there is no test that proves an association between Stachybotrys chartarum (Stachybotrys atra) and particular health symptoms. Individuals with persistent symptoms should see their physician. However, if Stachybotrys chartarum (Stachybotrys atra) or other molds are found in a building, prudent practice recommends that they be removed.

Cite

Cite

Closed Thread