Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Technical - Hardware/Software > a la mode (WinTotal)
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 05:09 PM

State: Florida
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

I use a la mode appraisal software, support service, and website service. I have found the software and service to be pretty decent.

HOWEVER, their sales team falls below the suck level in my opinion. Last year their sales team phoned me for an "early renewal" for which I could supposedly save lots of money. I still haven't quite figured out where my savings was. I only agreed to renew early because of the promise to include all of my account services (Win-Total support, flood maps, certmail, agent X-site website, and all of my domain names) incorporated into one renewal date. I was assured by the sales associate the renewal included every one of these items so I would now have only one renewal date in the future.

Today I found out my domain names (five extra web address which point to my website) were not renewed. I do NOT have one renewal date for everything in the future. Their sales associate obviously lied. I was now given the option to renew the domain names at "half price" as a consolation, even though I supposedly already paid for them. I had to pay in order to keep the domains ... a la mode bent me over.

Anyone else had problems with a la mode's deceptive sales practices?
Sponsored Links

Old 07-11-2005, 05:31 PM

State: California

Sounds like they got you good.

Where's the Beef?
Old 07-11-2005, 05:53 PM

State: Pennsylvania

I don't use Ala Mode, but one of my best appraiser friends does, he is always complaining about sales calls to buy this or that. My advice, switch.

TC
Old 07-11-2005, 07:56 PM

State: New Mexico

I use Ala Mode and have no complaints. I don't pay for extras. I renew when it's due. I also told them years ago to put me on their DO NOT CALL LIST. Send emails. Easier to delete.

I believe that you will probably hear from someone up in the ranks of Alamode that posts here from time to time. If not, go to the Alamode section and look for his name. Send an email or PM to him.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:46 PM

State: Wisconsin
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

They called me again last month to move my renew up and I would get this, this and this at a savings of $4000 +/-. I bit and did it again. Still have not figured out thier pricing. My renewel date would then be June 30th each year.

Any way last week I get an email from thier sales department that said I could save this, this and this again. If I renewed by July 5th. It would only cost me $394.00. Now thats $394.00 for five days of service.

Got to be carefull of what I say to them becasue a couple of years ago I was having problems with then and service. I told them a few times where they could place it. So they just flat told me they were cutting my service and refunding my money because they did not like the way I was responding to their service staff. Because some of my clients use thier programs, I must you thier programs. One of my websites is link with their program. To change would cost a ton of money. So now I walk on eggs when I talk with them. I try and let my IT person handle any problems with them.

I do think the montor all the appraisal web groups and sites. They seem to respone to any thing that is said to or about them.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:59 AM

-FOLLOW UP-

Today I received a call from the VP of sales and marketing for a la mode and my money is being refunded for the domain name mix-up. He apologized for prior confusion regarding the "one renewal date" issue. I am comfortable that a al mode is working diligently to provide the best service and products to appraisers, and he has restored my faith in the company.
Old 07-15-2005, 08:41 PM

State: Colorado

They have always been fair with me...but then I expose their software to literally hundreds of students a year at our school.

Was a little miffed the other night. I ran the tech support assistant and it said I had a bunch of un-installed downloads. So I installed them all. At the end it said I needed to re-start the computer...so I did and promptly lost control of both the keyboard and the mouse.

Called tech support and was told since I only had a silver membership would have to call back in the morning. Didn't make me a happy camper since I had about 17 assignments on my desk and needed to work. Called HP tech support and was informed since my computer was out of warranty it would cost me $59.99 for 30 minutes of tech support. I gave them a credit card number and waited nearly 30 minutes to talk to a tech. He probably was in India as I could barely understand a word he said. After 30 minutes he advised me he couldn't help me and gave me a phone number to call to get a technician to come to the house. The number was a bad number. Needless to say....I was more than unhappy.

Next morning I tried all the tricks I knew to get the computer to boot up and surprise of surprises it finally worked. Seems the down loads corrupted the bios. According to Alamode..."that can't happen"....but it did.
Old 07-15-2005, 08:53 PM

Oh crap...

I REALLY don't want to hear this...

TB
Old 07-16-2005, 09:34 AM

State: Wisconsin
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

Computers and software is about the only product that I know you pay thousands of dollars to buy. And know damm well that it is not going to work all the time for you. So you pay additional thousands of dollars for Tect support so you can get the product to work part of the time. Then tect support screws you around most of the time. :P

Just look at all the hours you have lost and the income the down time has cost you! :cry:

What a Con the Computer manufactures and software manufacture have going.

Just how long would you stay in business if everything you procuded had problems and you charge you client up front to fix the problem? :rainfro:

Isn't it about time for a class action law suit to get these outfits to produce a product that will work 99% of the time.

What would you say if you fridge only work part time? Your car? Your boat? Your Lawn mower? The air planes you fly on? :rofl:
Old 07-16-2005, 10:20 AM

State: Tennessee

I've reached an understanding with myself about my computer and my software: a significant amount of the grief I have with them - particularly WinTotal - is the fact that I've gotten it to a point where it's functional with me, and, while I'm not using it to its maximum capability, I'm getting by. I've had to call a la mode's tech support, on average, less than 12 times a year, so my Silver "membership" is going mostly toward updates and current forms revision, which is fine.

I do get a little peeved at their frequent sales calls to consolidate all of my product billing, but they're in sales and that's part of the process.

My biggest frustrations are trying to deal with (1) Symantec, on line and (2) HP, no matter how I go to them. Symantec's web site is the most confusing jumble I've ever tried to deal with: I've started buying all my security software in the store, as I can't figure out how to get the stuff registered. And HP - as Rosie put it, "Fagittaboutit."

Closed Thread