Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Technical - Hardware/Software > a la mode (WinTotal)
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 06:16 PM

State: Virginia
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

B) Just purchased a new PC, was dreading having to reinstall all the associated software. Then I read about Valut. I loaded Win Total on the new PC, purchaed Valult for $129.00 and loaded on both the old and the newv PC. Then I sent my current preferrences to Vault from my presnt PC, then retrieved my preferrences from Vault to my new PC. Now I do not have to relaod signatures, etc. Cool.
And, I can store up to 1,000 reports on Vault.

I am storing all my files for 2005 on Vault and will retrieve them to my new PC as I need them. Thank you Alamode

Old 07-18-2005, 10:36 PM

State: Texas

Good idea! I am thinking of adding a lap top, mounted in my truck, to take my office with me. That would be a great way to transfer files. I will have to check that one out. But, as I have an in house wireless system, and recently changed to a new wireless internet service, I think I can do the syncronize thing. Don't know for sure.

I had dropped Vault as I had a dial up internet service, and it was faster to just burn a CD backup every week and carry it down to my bank safe deposit box. Now the box is full of cd's.

Rick
Old 07-18-2005, 10:48 PM

State: Ohio
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

I bought the Vault about 5 months ago.

After computer problems, I decided this would be a nice way to back everything up and keep my preferences.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:17 AM

State: Colorado
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Clark@Jul 15 2005, 05:16 PM
And, I can store up to 1,000 reports on Vault.
I did not renew my vault this year (just because I don't have the money) but let me clarify this a little for ya.

You don't actually get 1,000 reports saved on the vault server. What you get is 1,000 transfers/updates. I found this out when I went in and looked at a few old appraisals I had done to get some invoices printed to re-bill (30 days late). The vault saved these as if there was a change made.....and guess what, that comes out of your 1,000 files deal.

Not saying it's a bad thing, just don't think that 1,000 reports will be saved for ya. If I had the money I would do it again. Well worth it if something goes wrong /nod

-me
Old 07-19-2005, 07:41 AM

State: Texas

Well, I keep a 1,000 files on there. Every time I get a call saying I am getting low and how about buying more space, I burn a CD and delete older files. Thanks for the monthly sales call and CD burning reminder Alamode.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:21 AM

State: Tennessee

I've also put my older appraisals on CDs, in order to save Vault space. Part of the process was moving the older files to folders that don't go to the Vault: I don't delete appraisal. I find that, the older the appraisal, the less likely I am to need to go back to it, and having it on a CD is no big deal.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:40 AM

State: Virginia

B) Just to update on how it works. Retrieved some files this AM, after retrieving my preferences the other day, and everything is there, works like a charm. Hey, for $129.00 is is a bargain and saved me from having to set up signatures, etc.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:33 PM

State: Florida
Professional Status: Real Estate Agent or Broker

What happens if you don't renew your account year after year, do you lose access to those files ?
Old 07-19-2005, 03:29 PM

State: Tennessee

Raimo -

You should have them in your computer and wherever else you store them: the Vault is there, primarily, in case you lose your computer
Old 07-19-2005, 04:24 PM

State: Florida
Professional Status: Real Estate Agent or Broker

Thanks Peter

My question is, if you don't pay your dues each year, do you have access to the files if you lose your computer ?

Raimo

Closed Thread