Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > General Appraisal Discussion
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 12:26 AM

State: New Hampshire
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

What do you all think???

It seems we always have someone with extra time. And I ALWAYS see "I would LOVE to review your work"!!!

Obviously we have learned that reviewers can review any section of the country. :eyecrazy: Why not here?

There have been lots of threads on how to improve the profession. And lots of newbies that come in with serious questions on how they are being trained.

What better than to advise newbee's to post in the review section of the forum??? Obviously we would have proper disclaimers.

I think it's a great idea. A review section to the forum. I listen to Handle on the law and all of his advice is " Marginal legal advice". It could be something like that.

People could start a thread with an attached PDF they could exclude their client, address and owner info so we can all feel safe about it and plug away.

It would lead to great conversation, debate and analysis.

All reviews would be strictly for learning purposes. All reviews would have a disclaimer and such. It could all be USPAP complaint. I can't think of a better "improve the profession" than this!
Sponsored Links

Old 07-25-2005, 01:18 AM

State: California

Good idea!
Old 07-25-2005, 01:24 AM

I love it when someone calls Bill Handel and tells him they lent a friend some money but didn't get it in writing and now they won't pay it back. He ask's if they have a cordless phone or can get to a mirror. When the caller is in front of the mirror, Handel tells him to shout "You stupid moron, you idiot!!!"

BTW, I like your idea Kate. It would be fun. But with all of this recent talk about not criticizing, being kinder and gentler, not posting if you don't have anything kind to say, can you imagine the flaming some people will take after posting an appraisal they are so proud of?

BTW, listen to Bill Handel live on Saturday mornings 6 a.m. to 10 a.m. (Pacific) He's a hoot.

http://www.kfi640.com/main.html
Old 07-25-2005, 01:25 AM

I have wanted to put my work out for the critics as well. There would definitely be different levels of appraisals that would be submitted. Many with deferent degree of difficulty and experience.

Some may hide the jewels of their work in fear of hijacking or "copyright" :rainfro: But it would still help the profession in general. I think anyway.

Hoppy, I LOVE that man!!!!!! He rocks my world. I am usually crying in laughter when I listen to him, he is so funny. But he is NOT for the faint of heart. This would be something like that.

As for anonymous posts??? Not sure that would work. Not to mention that your neighborhood analysis would give you away in you mention town and state.

I could take strait criticism. You???
Old 07-25-2005, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Greg Boyd@Jul 25 2005, 02:24 AM

But with all of this recent talk about not criticizing, being kinder and gentler, not posting if you don't have anything kind to say, can you imagine the flaming some people will take after posting an appraisal they are so proud of?

Too bad.

Honestly I don't think people would actually put their work out there without expecting some criticism. What else would be the point??? "Look how great my appraisals are???" Sounds egotistical to me. We don't have people here that are like that do we??? :rofl: And if people are asking questions then they should be willing to put it all out there. Why else would they ask??

If I put my "edited" work out there I would hope people could tell me how to make it better.

As for not responding if you see something wrong????? I'm sure that the great minds that put this forum together and keep it running are not THAT crazy!!! It's about improving the profession!!! If self confidence, esteem and feel good responses are what people want I know of lots of self help, therapy based websites that they can go to. This would be for the greater good for all of us.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:52 AM

Trouble is, each of us is establishing a permanent record as we type our posts.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Koert DuBois@Jul 25 2005, 02:52 AM
Trouble is, each of us is establishing a permanent record as we type our posts. I'd hate to be in court some day and have review examples from AppraisersForum used to prove that I have a historically consistent pattern of reckless appraisal practices. (I would now like to go on record and state that I do not have a consistent pattern of reckless appraisal practices.)

Even if someone could figure out that an appraisal was done by me, due to confidentiality and liability concerns, I'd prefer not to have my name attached to the publicly shared product. Perhaps we could all e-mail them to you, Kate, and you could post them. In fact, maybe I could e-mail all my posts to you and you could just enter them under your name. Are you ready for some heat?

I spend a lot of time (when I can) wording my addendums so that they're clear and logical. If someone wanted to use something I wrote, I would have a hard time feeling anything but complimented. And if someone suggest a change that would make some writing better, I would only feel that they were helping me do my work.
Ya know what?? That is not a bad idea at all. People could E-mail me samples as long as all client and owner info is removed and I would be happy to post them all.

I think that is a great idea.

That way people could have their confidentiality. They wouldn't even have to tell me who they are, I would just post whatever I get.

Or we could make it password protected where you have to submit in order to review. So many ways we could do it.

Can the name of the review section be called Kate's corner???? I like the ring to that.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:20 AM

State: Louisiana
Professional Status: Retired Appraiser

Instead of a review section so you can get comments about your reports, what if you had a voluntary 'online mentor'. The trainee...after they have proved themselves on this forum - say at least 6 months...would ask for an online mentor. This trainee then could bounce ideas, etc. (at their own expense) off of the mentor.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:23 AM

State: Ohio
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Quote:
Originally posted by Kate@Jul 25 2005, 02:25 AM
I could take strait criticism. You???
Straight
Old 07-25-2005, 08:07 AM

I think this suggestion is excellent! I would be glad to participate. There will most likely be those who will turn their critique into a personal attack or an opportunity to display, but even with that possibility I think reviewing openly is needed I this profession. We are missing, among other things, a good workable system of checks and balances in and accountability to the profession.

Good idea Kate. How is started? Do we ask Wayne?

Quote:
Trouble is, each of us is establishing a permanent record as we type our posts. I'd hate to be in court some day and have review examples from AppraisersForum used to prove that I have a historically consistent pattern of reckless appraisal practices. (I would now like to go on record and state that I do not have a consistent pattern of reckless appraisal practices.)
You could always say you emphatically disagree with the suggestions to change your addendum and tell your reasons for doing so. Any attorney who tries to endorse the forum as an expert is in trouble. How did this profession become so paranoid, secretive and court-phobic? Looks to me like we are more afraid of each other than anything else. I frequently see questions preceded with the comment that the poster expects to be put down. I think its time we all become mentors and seek mentoring on here.

It's a good idea and if it is made public everybody can get help. Make it a forum.
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread