Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > General Appraisal Discussion
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 11:47 AM

State: Wisconsin
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

I have a home owner who is having a fit, because I marked the report for insulation unknow. Instead of marking each box for the walls, celling, floor, etc, and give the R-factor for each. Said it would increase the value of her home by 15% because of the savings in heat and cooling bills.

I also cover it in my addenda that I am not a home inspector and have no knowledge of the insulation.

How do you cover you back side on this? I was always told to mark it unknown.
Sponsored Links

Old 07-25-2005, 11:48 AM

State: Florida
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Yes maam, I will be happy to come back out and verify that. What I will need to do is tear holes in your ceiling and walls so I can pull some of the insulation out to read its label.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:49 AM

Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

I check the "Unknown" box (unless it's plans & specs where the values are indicated) and then under that I insert "assume to code"

TB
Old 07-25-2005, 11:51 AM

State: Oregon
Professional Status: General Public

Ask the home owner if you can borrow his hammer so's you can beat a few holes in the walls to see what the insulation is.

Oregon Doug
Old 07-25-2005, 11:55 AM

State: Nevada

What's so special about the HO's insulation, that they're so proud of it? I would think, in your neck of the woods, most houses ARE insulated...are we going to start quantifying the energy savings from each type of insulation now?

IMHO, you covered your rear by marking it unknown and by stating that this was not a home inspection. Just tell her there is no market evidence that (if there isn't) insulation impacts the value of a house and let it go at that.

I can't see it making a 15% difference anyway unless this were some high profile, superinsulated, energy efficient, alternative energy home...and even there, the value would be in the total energy package rather than just the insulation.

Shoot that horse, it's lame.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:20 PM

State: New Mexico

Quote:
Said it would increase the value of her home by 15% because of the savings in heat and cooling bills.
First, Mr/Ms HO, show me your appraiser's license so that I can know that I'm dealing with someone who is qualified to appraise in this state. Next, show me the proof of such an increase that is accepted and recognized in this market. Next, pay me in advance for this reconsideration. Lastly, move over because the bulldozer is coming in so that I can make sure I get a good sampling of the insulation and verify that it's installed in the "ENTIRE" house!

Oh - to answer your question. I always, unless plans & specs, put "UNK" and mark the UNKNOWN box. I think put in the comment section "Assumed to code".
Old 07-25-2005, 12:22 PM

State: Kansas

Was the home insulated when she bought it or did she add insulation. If it was insulated how much of premium did she pay versus the other uninsulated homes?

Actually this will probably become more of an issue as utility bills go up. Back in the mid 1970's when we really had a national energy policy lenders would give there was an Fannie or Freddie energy form where the saving from "extrodinary" energy saving features were calculated and the savings were used to qualify the borrower for a larger loan. The regulations and forms are still on the books but I can't think of a single lender in my part of the world that knows how to do one of these loans.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:35 PM

"The attic portion of the home was not viewed unless otherwise noted, nor was an "R" factor for insulation determined by the appraiser. "

"Although due diligence was exercised while at the subject property, the appraiser is NOT an expert in such matters as pest control, structural engineering, hazardous waste, or construction etc. and no warranty is given or implied as to these or other outside of analysis of market data. Inspections by various professionals within these fields may be recommended with the final value estimate of market value subject to their findings. "

These comments go in every report of mine, under scope of work.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:50 PM

State: California

Nothing "adds value" to a house by itself. It only adds value if a) it's something the comps don't have, and B) if it's something someone is willing to pay for. I love it when homeowners think that some feature of their house should add value to the appraisal, when I've got 5 comps with the same feature.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:28 PM

I put "assumed adequate". So many newer homes are "Energy Star" or equivalent so it's immaterial. The only homes that I've seen it make a difference with are the super-efficient homes, such as the ones made from insulated panels, eetc.
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread